Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38819 [99]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [19]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [7]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '17
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

AbdurRakib wrote:
In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized that companies should think of the cost of conventions and other similar gatherings as not an expense, but as an investment in networking that will pay dividends.

A) as not an expense,but as
B) as not expense,but
C) not an expense,rather
D) not as an expense,but as
E) not in terms of expense,but

Choice A: In this answer choice, the phrase "as not an expense" breaks parallelism with the phrase "but as an investment". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: In this answer choice, the phrase "as not expense" breaks parallelism with the phrase "but as an investment". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: In this answer choice, the construction "think of ... an" is incorrect; the word "as" must precede the word "an". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: In this answer choice, parallelism and proper idiom construction are maintained throughout the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice E: This answer choice repeats the error seen in Option C. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [4]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:
In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized that companies should think of the cost of conventions and other similar gatherings as not an expense, but as an investment in networking that will pay dividends.

B) as not expense,but
C) not an expense,rather

'Think of X as' is the right idiom. C and E are out.

'Not x but y' must maintain parallelism.

not as an expense, but as an investment. D is the right answer
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [4]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized [#permalink]
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:

B) as not expense,but
C) not an expense,rather

With babuvgmat

Answer will be (D)

In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized that companies should think of the cost of conventions and other similar gatherings not as an expense ,but as an investment in networking that will pay dividends.

In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized that companies should think of the cost of conventions and other similar gatherings not as an expense ,but as an investment in networking that will pay dividends.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1392 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

The structure is Not X but Y and X and Y should be parallel.

If I break it down,
X as
not an expense
but as an Investment

If I remove but -> there are two "as" -> Incorrect

B) as not expense,but

We have an investment, we require an expense

C) not an expense,rather
Not X but Y is the structure

Correct

We require in terms of Investment to make it parallel but we don't have that so incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 446 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:

B) as not expense,but
C) not an expense,rather

Correct Idiom: Not X but Y
Where X must be parallel to Y.

A-- Not (an expense) but (as) -- Not parallel
B-- Not (expense) but an investment -- Not parallel
C-- Not (an expense), rather -- Correct idiom is Not X, but rather Y

D-- Not (as an expense), but (as an expense) -- Parallel
E-- Not (in terms of expense), but (an investment) -- Not parallel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
The official sentence's only issue is the position of "not" relative to "as". Answer choice D correctly flips these words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized [#permalink]
D
parallelism of 'not as... but as...'

New OG 2017 questions are easy!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
Can anyone explain why B is incorrect?

B) as not expense,but
C) not an expense,rather

Replacing the original sentence with (B)

In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized that companies should think of the cost of conventions and other similar gatherings as not expense, but an investment in networking that will pay dividends.

Is the missing "an" the only problem?

mcelroytutoring, HanoiGMATtutor: Any views?
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [2]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:

A) as not an expense, but as
B) as not expense, but
C) not an expense, rather
D) not as an expense, but as
E) not in terms of expense, but

Of course, happy to help and flex the grammar muscles a bit.

A) not bad. However, it's not perfect, because of the incorrect order of the words "as" and "not". For example, there is a reason why we say "not bad", and not, "bad not". The "not" is the more important word in this sentence and thus should come first, for clarity.
B) missing the 2nd "as" (in addition to the "an")
C) the mystery of the disappearing "as"s
D) correct
E) same as C

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 24 Jul 2016, 20:10.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 06 Apr 2018, 17:34, edited 5 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Keats wrote:

B) as not expense, but

A) not bad. However, it's not perfect, because of the incorrect order of the words "as" and "not". For example, there is a reason why we say "not bad", and not, "bad not". The "not" is the more important word in this sentence and thus should come first chronologically, for clarity.
D) correct
E) same as C

With respect to option B, in my humble opinion, I don't see a missing "as". If I replace the original sentence with what is written in option B, the sentence will look like below:

In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized that companies should think of the cost of conventions and other similar gatherings as [ not expense, but investment in networking] that will pay dividends.

I only see the missing "an" as the problem. Please help me in understanding that where am I going wrong mcelroytutoring
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Keats wrote:

B) as not expense, but

A) not bad. However, it's not perfect, because of the incorrect order of the words "as" and "not". For example, there is a reason why we say "not bad", and not, "bad not". The "not" is the more important word in this sentence and thus should come first chronologically, for clarity.
D) correct
E) same as C

With respect to option B, in my humble opinion, I don't see a missing "as". If I replace the original sentence with what is written in option B, the sentence will look like below:

In her presentation, the head of the Better Business Bureau emphasized that companies should think of the cost of conventions and other similar gatherings as [ not expense, but investment in networking] that will pay dividends.

I only see the missing "an" as the problem. Please help me in understanding that where am I going wrong mcelroytutoring

The first "as" is there, but the second "as" is not. The correct expression is "not as A, but as B." Thus, two "as"s are necessary. In addition, one does not think of something "as expense"--one thinks of something "as an expense", since "expense" is a noun and not an adjective / adverb, and thus requires "a" or "an" (indefinite article).

For example:

I think of him warmly (adverb) = correct
I find him annoying (adjective) = correct
I think of it as expensive (adjective) = correct
I think of it as expense (noun) = incorrect
I think of it as an expense (noun) = correct

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 25 Jul 2016, 09:40.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 06 Apr 2018, 17:35, edited 4 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:

The first "as" is there, but the second "as" is not. The correct expression is "not as A, but as B" Thus, two "as"s are necessary. In addition, one does not think of something "as expense"--one thinks of something "as an expense", since "expense" is a noun and not an adjective / adverb, and thus requires "a" or "an".

For example:

I think of him warmly (adverb) = correct
I find him annoying (adjective) = correct
I think of it as expensive (adjective) = correct
I think of it as expense (noun) = incorrect
I think of it as an expense (noun) = correct

I got the a/an part very clearly but I am still not able to understand the case you have presented for "as". Please bear with my ignorance but can you tell me where should the additional "as" come in the below sentence (option B basically)

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [5]

Send PM
Kudos