Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [112]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1061 [41]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 2: 500  Q43  V16
WE 1: 4 years in IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [11]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some psychiatric studies indicate that among distinguished artists [#permalink]
E uses correct idiom 'more ..than' and doesn't have 'rates of ..'

ayushi wrote:
Some psychiatric studies indicate that among distinguished artists the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent as in the population at large.
(A) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent as in
(B) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent than in
(C) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent when compared to
(D) manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent when compared to
(E) manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent than in
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [7]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Some psychiatric studies indicate that among distinguished artists [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
E

1. 'the rates' cannot be 'prevalent'. D and E remain.
2. 'more prevalent than' is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Among distinguished artists needs to modify the disease not rates – eliminate A, B and C
(A) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent as in
(B) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent than in
(C) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent when compared to
(D) manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent when compared to [As requires clause – eliminate it]
(E) manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent than in [Hold it]

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
You guys are good.

E for me as well but wasn't clear as to why B was wrong. Thanks Walker for explanation!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
(B) the rates ... are ... more prevalent than ...

rates cannot be more prevalent. It is a logic mistake, not a grammatical one.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ajit257 wrote:
. Some psychiatric studies indicate that among distin-
guished artists the rates of manic depression and major
depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent as in

the population at large.

(A) the rates of manic depression and major depres-
sion are ten to thirteen times as prevalent as in
(B) the rates of manic depression and major depres-
sion are ten to thirteen times more prevalent
than in
(C) the rates of manic depression and major depres-
sion are ten to thirteen times more prevalent
when compared to
(D) manic depression and major depression are ten to
thirteen times as prevalent when compared to
(E) manic depression and major depression are ten
to thirteen times more prevalent than in

Hi!

Scanning the choices, we see our first big split right at the start - the most common place for splits. Here we have a 3-2 split between ABC and DE.

A, B and C all refer to "the rates of manic depression and major depression", whereas D and E simply refer to the depressions themselves. Is it proper to say that a rate is "more prevalent" than another rate? No, that makes no sense. A rate can be greater than another rate, or a phenomenon can be more prevalent than another phenomenon. Accordingly, we eliminate A, B and C.

Scanning D and E, we see different idiomatic phrases at the end (another very common place for splits). D has "as prevalent when..." - we know that "as" should followed by another "as", so D is out. A quick check of E reveals "more prevalent than", right on the money.

Choose E!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Some psychiatric studies indicate that among distinguished artists the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent as in the population at large.

(A) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent as in - a rate can't be "prevalent"; a phenomenon, such as manic depression, can.
(B) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent than in - same as A
(C) the rates of manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent when compared to- same as A
(D) manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times as prevalent when compared to - idiom error - As X as is needed
(E) manic depression and major depression are ten to thirteen times more prevalent than in - Correct

Answer E

Both of the below are correct
Illiteracy is prevalent
The rate of illiteracy is high

Quant Digression -
"10 to 13 times AS prevalent" is NOT the same as "10 to 13 times MORE prevalent".
in particular, 13 times AS prevalent would be 12 times MORE prevalent; 13 times MORE prevalent, by contrast, would be 14 times AS prevalent. the same sort of thing holds for the smaller figure, too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
daagh GMATNinja..

Can you post your explanation here?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saurabh9gupta wrote:
daagh GMATNinja..

Our first decision point is between (A), (B), and (C) -- all of which describe the "rates" as prevalent -- and (D) and (E), which describe "manic depression and major depression" as prevalent. It doesn't make any sense to write that a "rate" is prevalent in a population -- there are no statistics regarding how common rates are! Rather, a disease can be prevalent. We can ditch (A), (B), and (C).

Next, in (D), we have the construction "as prevalent when..." It should be "as prevalent as." (Even if you don't recognize the idiom, the construction "as prevalent when" makes no logical sense.)

That leaves us with (E), which is the answer.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
saurabh9gupta wrote:
daagh GMATNinja..

Our first decision point is between (A), (B), and (C) -- all of which describe the "rates" as prevalent -- and (D) and (E), which describe "manic depression and major depression" as prevalent. It doesn't make any sense to write that a "rate" is prevalent in a population -- there are no statistics regarding how common rates are! Rather, a disease can be prevalent. We can ditch (A), (B), and (C).

Next, in (D), we have the construction "as prevalent when..." It should be "as prevalent as." (Even if you don't recognize the idiom, the construction "as prevalent when" makes no logical sense.)

I hope that helps!

Just a doubt. What is more preferable in GMAT- 10 to 13 times more prevalent or 10 to 13times as prevalent as? Suppose in A if we won't have the rates, would that make it a better option??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 2.25
Send PM
Doesn't times require the usage of as_ as _ idiom.
It is mentioned in gmatclub's study tips on comparison segment.

Is it not an essential definite error ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Abhi13509 wrote:
Doesn't times require the usage of as_ as _ idiom.
It is mentioned in gmatclub's study tips on comparison segment.

Is it not an essential definite error ?

I don't think so. there are as_xx_as phrases without times as well.
e.g. : as hard as possible
as far as you can
as long as it can be stretched
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
saurabh9gupta wrote:
daagh GMATNinja..

I hope that helps!

Just a doubt. What is more preferable in GMAT- 10 to 13 times more prevalent or 10 to 13times as prevalent as? Suppose in A if we won't have the rates, would that make it a better option??

I wouldn't worry too much about the distinction between these two phrasings, and I don't think there's any real reason to prefer one over the other. That's exactly why the question includes the logical error involving rates: the difference between "X times more prevalent" and "X times as prevalent as" doesn't really matter.

The takeaway: anytime you encounter two constructions that both seem clear and logical, see if you can find other issues to focus on.

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
GMATNinja

Hi,

according the the Manhattan SC guide, if one shall use ' x times as...as' when relating quantities by multiplication:

Right: I am five times as old as my son
Wrong: I am five times older than my son

Also according to MSC guide, one shall use 'x times more than / less than' when referring to addition / substraction:

I am ten years older than you.

When I look at option (E), it uses 'ten times more prevelant than', meaning 10x more than something else. But this is clearly the first case I quoted from the MSC guide. Should 'ten times as prevelant as in...' be used here?

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hadimadi wrote:
GMATNinja

Hi,

according the the Manhattan SC guide, if one shall use ' x times as...as' when relating quantities by multiplication:

Right: I am five times as old as my son
Wrong: I am five times older than my son

Also according to MSC guide, one shall use 'x times more than / less than' when referring to addition / substraction:

I am ten years older than you.

When I look at option (E), it uses 'ten times more prevelant than', meaning 10x more than something else. But this is clearly the first case I quoted from the MSC guide. Should 'ten times as prevelant as in...' be used here?

Thanks

Consider an example. Imagine that Tim is 50 and his son is 10. It makes sense to say that Tim is five times as old as his son, since 10 * 5 = 50.

Could you argue that because 50 is 400% greater than 10, you can also write, "Tim is four times older than his son?" I don't love the way it hits my ear, but I'm hesitant to say it's wrong.

The same thing would apply to prevalence. If something occurs in 10% of the population, it's ten times as prevalent as something that occurs in 1% of the population.

But if something occurs in 11% of the population, it's ten times more prevalent than something that occurs in 1% of the population.

In other words, I'd be careful about making any generalizations here. If you see two constructions making a comparison and one is less clear than the other, well, that's one thing. But if both seem pretty clear, and they just happen to be communicating slightly different bits of info, I'd avoid using it as a decision point.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 470 Q27 V28
GMAT 2: 590 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 600 Q39 V34
GRE 1: Q166 V159
Send PM
Comparisons and Idioms,
Rates or Price, are either higher or lower.

That's Probably why B is wrong

E might Stick.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
as is used to compare clauses D is out
A B C are out because rates are not prevalent
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts