Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: A puzzle closer to Gmat logic. I think I encountered a [#permalink]
Agent_777 wrote:
Ask them the question like this:

If I ask you whether the left road leads to place X, will you answer, yes?

In any case you"ll get the right direction. :lol:

If the one who lies says yes, then you would know that answer is no.
If the one who says the truth says yes, then you would know answer is yes. Now, in this instance, both of them said yes but outcome is different. Since you don't know which one you talked to, how would you know if it's the one, the one who lies or who says the truth, whom you talked to? Since outcomes are different, you cannot ask your question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Paul wrote:
Agent_777 wrote:

If the one who says the truth says yes, then you would know answer is yes. Now, in this instance, both of them said yes but outcome is different. Since you don't know which one you talked to, how would you know if it's the one, the one who lies or who says the truth, whom you talked to? Since outcomes are different, you cannot ask your question.

Actually I agree with Agent_777's qs.
Assume the road to left is indeed leads to X. Now if you ask the person who lies, the qs whether the left road leads to X, he has to answer 'No'. But the question is whether he will answer yes to this question. Again as he has to lie, he has to say 'yes'.
Ask the question to a person who tells the truth, he also will answer yes. Thus doesnt matter whom you ask, the answer will tell you whether the road to left leads to X.

Thus if the answer is yes, the road to left leads to X, if the answer is no, the road to right leads to X.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
trishuls wrote:
Paul wrote:
Agent_777 wrote:

Actually I agree with Agent_777's qs.
Assume the road to left is indeed leads to X. Now if you ask the person who lies, the qs whether the left road leads to X, he has to answer 'No'. But the question is whether he will answer yes to this question. Again as he has to lie, he has to say 'yes'.
Ask the question to a person who tells the truth, he also will answer yes. Thus doesnt matter whom you ask, the answer will tell you whether the road to left leads to X.

Thus if the answer is yes, the road to left leads to X, if the answer is no, the road to right leads to X.

Nice, I overlooked that solution. However, did you check my solution as well? I stand my ground that my solution will always give you the right answer as well. Test it.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts