Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Throughout coursework, I wouldn't expect much less than what you do now at a Big Four. Of course you work a lot of hours, but it's not very hard compared to PhD coursework. To some extent, your workload will depend on (1) how much of the stuff you learn you already know, (2) how motivated you are and what your approach to learning is (ie. do you want to know everything, or "just enough"?), (3) how good you want your research papers to be, and sometimes (4) how lucky you are in finding the right answers early to a difficult problem set. Overall, the number of hours spent on studying is not such a relevant variable, I would say.

After coursework, I can't tell you. Some "more senior" students here definitely seem to procrastinate a lot and have a lot more free time but this may be just an impression. I know for a fact that if you want to write good papers you have to read a bunch of other papers and work hard at what you do.

I'd been in a public accounting firm for 4 years and then taught at the undergraduate and MBA levels for 18 months before beginning the PhD, and I can tell you that doing this is the hardest thing I've done in my life, and I'm not always sure that it's worth it (although I am usually confident I've made the right choice). If you're looking into academia to stop living the "crazy Big 4 life", maybe in the long run teaching in a community college or second-tier university will bring some relief, but in the short run you're not going to have any more free time. Moreover, if your goal is to teach at a top school sometime, your life probably won't be much easier (and just as busy) as it is now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hmmm.... the challenges sound delicious! :lol:

So, is it possible to strike a work/life balance, especially if one is going with spouse and kid(s)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it can be done. In my previous post, (2), (3) and (4) are largely up to the student, and I would suspect that they do not really count _that much_ (a very relative phrase actually) toward whether or not the student eventually _graduates_. However, at the PhD level, one's post-graduation prospects largely depend on the quality of the job market paper (and possibly other papers/the whole dissertation), not just the school. I'm at a fairly decent school now but I do not intend to land a Chicago or Wharton faculty position; hence I think school's a lot of work but balance is possible. If I had different objectives, I might answer differently.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts