Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [54]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [5]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of infection ca [#permalink]
Kudos
Lstadt wrote:
How is (E) not a good answer?

We are talking about extinction. If they can't access it, it will continue to exist.

D is good too.

Hi,
E could imply that it is impossible to produce large quantities of drugs as the ibora would be difficult to obtain but to me it a very indirect and far fetched fact.

D is direct and to the central point.

It worries me what you mention that the CR100 has some/many errors, does anybody know of a list of known errors in the answers? I spent a lot of time thinking why I answered incorrectly when the OA seemed really wrong

Do you know if the SC & RC1000 have the same problem?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of infection ca [#permalink]
Kudos
sperinko wrote:
A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of infection can, at present, be obtained only from the bark of the ibora, a tree that is quite rare in the wild. It takes the bark of 5,000 trees to make one kilogram of the drug. It follows, therefore, that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the ibora’s extinction.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The drug made from ibora bark is dispensed to doctors from a central authority.
(B) The drug made from ibora bark is expensive to produce.
(C) The leaves of the ibora are used in a number of medical products.
(D) The ibora can be propagated from cuttings and grown under cultivation.
(E) The ibora generally grows in largely inaccessible places.

Conclusion: that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the ibora’s extinction.
Assumptions:
That drug is made only from Ibora tree
Number of trees grown proportion is less compared trees being cut for making the drug

Let me try analyzing the options:
(A) The drug made from ibora bark is dispensed to doctors from a central authority. - Irrelevant - Dispensed to doctor from central authority has nothing to do with the extenction of the tree
(B) The drug made from ibora bark is expensive to produce. - Out of scope - Expensive to produce - But this have nothing to with distinction. Even if its extensive the drun will be made and info expensive is out of scope
(C) The leaves of the ibora are used in a number of medical products. - May be strengthener - becuase the leaves are used in number of medical products which help in extenction of this Ibora tree
(D) The ibora can be propagated from cuttings and grown under cultivation. - Good weakener - Because if these trees are grown in cultiavation then this can give an alternate view for the Ibora extinction i.e. Conclusion
(E) The ibora generally grows in largely inaccessible places - Irreveleant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hello! I am beginner here. The following tips helped me a lot to find the accurate answer.
1. Identifying & summarising conclusion
Perpetuating production of the drug will most likely to destroy Ibora.
2. Identifying & summarising premise
5000 Ibora trees are required to make 1kg of drug
High effectiveness in treatment leads to demand
Ibora is already rare tree in the wild.
3. Identifying possible assumption:
- Medical innovation to artificially create drug which has equal effectiveness as Ibora
- To plant Ibora
- Making it illegal

(A) The drug made from ibora bark is dispensed to doctors from a central authority.
Giving out drug will enable drug production. Therefore, it is STRENGTHENING the conclusion.
Inclusive purchase can be done with the people who has enough money to buy the drug.
It is indicating uses of Ibora tree for medical purpose. It is NOT weakening the conclusion.
This option is clearly weakening the conclusion. Because, as stated in the assumption, planting Ibora can be solution to prevent from extinction.
Even though, there is some difficulties, it doesn't mean that the production will be ceased.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Bookmarks
Conclusion: Production of Ibora will eventually lead to its extinction
Premise 1: Ibora effective in treating many infections
Premise 2: A lot of Ibora bark needed to produce a small quantity of medicine
We need to find the answer that weakens the conclusion

(A) The drug made from ibora bark is dispensed to doctors from a central authority. - Does this weaken the conclusion? NO. If anything this is out of scope. We are not focused on how the drug is dispensed. Only its creation.

(B) The drug made from ibora bark is expensive to produce.- Does this weaken the conclusion? NO. If anything this strengthens the premise that Ibora is rare and thus expensive.

(C) The leaves of the ibora are used in a number of medical products - Does this weaken the conclusion? NO. This strengthens the usefulness of Ibora and hence more might be needed. Does not focus on the creation.

(D) The ibora can be propagated from cuttings and grown under cultivation. Does this weaken the conclusion?YES. If we can grow Ibora artificially, we can reduce the impact on its wild population thus probably avoid its extinction. Although this does not demolish the conclusion, it certainly weakens it.

(E) The ibora generally grows in largely inaccessible places.- Does this weaken the conclusion? NO. This is out of scope. The location where Iboras grow does not matter because the premise clearly says we are already harvesting it to a large extent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
fanatico wrote:
A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of infection can, at present, be obtained only from the bark of the ibora, a tree that is quite rare in the wild. It takes the bark of 5,000 trees to make one kilogram of the drug. It follows, therefore, that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the ibora’s extinction.

Can someone please explain why cant E be the right answer. If ibore is grows in inaccessible places, then those plants could not be used for production of the drug. Therefore those plants still remain in some inaccessible places.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [2]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
sumanainampudi wrote:
fanatico wrote:

Can someone please explain why cant E be the right answer. If ibore is grows in inaccessible places, then those plants could not be used for production of the drug. Therefore those plants still remain in some inaccessible places.

We need to weaken that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the ibora’s extinction. So the cocnclusion talks about a post effect of production of drug; the drug is already produced as per the conclusion. E is questioning something that is assumed to be happening in the main conclusion. Weaken the result of action and not the action itself.
As per your query ("...then those plants could not be used for production of the drug."), E is weakening the action at the first place, which is taken to be true in the conclusion.
Hope it helped.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of infection ca [#permalink]
Dear VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY IanStewart MartyTargetTestPrep DmitryFarber RonPurewal VeritasPrepBrian,

I have no solid reason to reject choice E.

If MOST (i.e. "largely") ibora CANNOT be accessed (inaccessible), how can ibora be taken down for drug and become extinct?

In order to reject choice E., do we have to assume that "inaccessible places" are in fact accessible eventually?
I don't think "inaccessible" means the same thing as HARD (but possible) to access.
I think "inaccessible" means IMPOSSIBLE to access -- regardless of the efforts put into
UNC Kenan Flagler Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [2]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
varotkorn wrote:
Dear VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY IanStewart MartyTargetTestPrep DmitryFarber RonPurewal VeritasPrepBrian,

If MOST (i.e. "largely") ibora CANNOT be accessed (inaccessible), how can ibora be taken down for drug and become extinct?

In order to reject choice E., do we have to assume that "inaccessible places" are in fact accessible eventually?
I don't think "inaccessible" means the same thing as HARD (but possible) to access.
I think "inaccessible" means IMPOSSIBLE to access -- regardless of the efforts put into

Hi varotkorn

I am no expert, but will try to help you. Let me know if it helps.

The passage mentions that currently about 5,000 trees are cut to produce 1 Kg of the drug. The passage further mentions that if the production continues at this rate then the plant might soon become extinct - These two lines indicate that the production is going on as we speak. In other words the folks producing this drug have already figured out how to get these trees from inaccessible regions. Ask the question that if the trees are inaccessible then how are the producers able to continue production in the first place?

Furthermore, in order to strengthen the argument you need to find an option that says that 'No, the trees will not go extinct' and D tells you that they can be regenerated
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [2]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

Hi varotkorn,

I agree with Pritishd. Look at the last part of what the question has to say: "continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the ibora's extinction". A stronger version of option E would tell us that continued production is not possible, but even that wouldn't mean that continued production will not cause the ibora's extinction.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [4]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos