Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Didn't you name the school in another thread?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you are not going to attend unless you receive more aid from the school, you have little to lose and much to gain by approaching them for more money.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
If you are not going to attend unless you receive more aid from the school, you have little to lose and much to gain by approaching them for more money.

Hjort,

Do you have anything to lose either way? What can the school do, retract the offer? If you ask nicely that is..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think they would retract the offer.
I am going to ask nicely. I think my stats deserve more money, and I have an app in at another school
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Xeo78 wrote:
Hjort wrote:

Hjort,

Do you have anything to lose either way? What can the school do, retract the offer? If you ask nicely that is..

I have a friend at Thunderbird right now that leveraged the scholarship offer game against Simon. He was upfront about him desire to study at T-bird, but just couldn't foot the bill. After three months of haggling, T-bird called his bluff (for personal reasons he never wanted to attend Simon) and gave him a potential merit based scholarship contingent on the results of his first semester. Nevertheless, he still enrolled. Business is business, he just wasn't a good negotiator at the time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Xeo78 wrote:
Hjort wrote:

Hjort,

I have a friend at Thunderbird right now that leveraged the scholarship offer game against Simon. He was upfront about him desire to study at T-bird, but just couldn't foot the bill. After three months of haggling, T-bird called his bluff (for personal reasons he never wanted to attend Simon) and gave him a potential merit based scholarship contingent on the results of his first semester. Nevertheless, he still enrolled. Business is business, he just wasn't a good negotiator at the time.

Not to be nosey but how much did your friend get at Simon? And did T-bird ask for documentation of Simon's scholarship? I don't want to get in a situtation where ADCOMS are calling one another to discuss my file
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
jamesrwright3 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
Xeo78 wrote:
Hjort wrote:

Hjort,

Not to be nosey but how much did your friend get at Simon? And did T-bird ask for documentation of Simon's scholarship? I don't want to get in a situtation where ADCOMS are calling one another to discuss my file

He was offered a full tuition scholarship at Simon. I do not know whether T-bird ever asked him to validate such documentation, however you should take into consideration that he is from an significantly underrepresented minority.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not to keep beating a horse to death , but why would he turn down a full tuition scholarship to a good school? that must have been tough
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I asked him the exact same question. He said (1) over the long term, T-bird would pan out better for his international business aspirations, and (2) he was somehow convinced that he would receive a scholarship after his first semester at T-bird.

Personally, I probably would have stuck with Simon. That was a virtually risk free $60K in his pocket.

The same guy has now maxed on on Stafford loans and Stafford Plus to make sure he gets through the first year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yep going into debt is scary-hence my apprehension about going into debt
I know someone from my old fraternity that went to top school-did investment banking beforehand. Came out and had a tragic situation involving his wife and child. He could not work-was disabled for all intents and purposes. His 90 K in debt ballooned up to well over 160k with interest and penalties and collection fees. The loan companies didn't care, and the courts could do nothing to save him as the laws don't allow discharge. He is not really sure what he is going to do. There is really no out for him other than leaving the country, unfortunately. He is considering doing that
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]