Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
usman7 wrote:
You are right, it seems as everybody here at gmat club is scoring above 700....but I think we, the mediocres, make the silent majority here. The only difference is the level of participation. We should come forward, participate more activly and learn from these smart fellas :)

More often than not, it's the participation itself that helps your studies.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Hell, no one will know anything about you except your sn. I can't implore you guys enough to participate, make mistakes, share your mistakes and learn from your and each other's mistakes.

You are going to look like a fool at one point or another, would you rather do it here on this website or on the actual gmat?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek....thanks for the encouragement. we definitely have to participate and learn from our mistakes. come on guys....lets take on this forum...:) there is nothing to be ashamed of....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree on all what it said.... Just particpate guys ! :).... It's the key :D :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
"normal" person [#permalink]
Kudos
Yes, I was wondering what is up with this need to score 600+ or higher. I have applied to an accredited business school. They put more emphasis on your work history, letters of recommendation & statement of intent. The GMAT is a fraction of what they are looking for because they realize not everyone does well on standardized testing.
I have scored a 450 with my first practice exam. I am not happy about it since I have studied my rear off for nearly 7 weeks.
anyone else out there who wonders how people are scoring these ENORMOUS scores and wondering how?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Re: "normal" person [#permalink]
LisaBiz wrote:
Yes, I was wondering what is up with this need to score 600+ or higher. I have applied to an accredited business school. They put more emphasis on your work history, letters of recommendation & statement of intent. The GMAT is a fraction of what they are looking for because they realize not everyone does well on standardized testing.
I have scored a 450 with my first practice exam. I am not happy about it since I have studied my rear off for nearly 7 weeks.
anyone else out there who wonders how people are scoring these ENORMOUS scores and wondering how?

what school you trying to go to? I think you need at least a 500 for an accredited school?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not exactly true.
It depends on the University. There are two of the three (accredited) in my area that will place you on a probationary status for the first term (quarter) if you score under a 480
I know someone who was accepted in with a 440 BUT placed on probationary status for this past fall '06.
Needless to say, he did fine and is now on the roster with no stipulations.
I am not setting my 'goal' for one of the top 20 especially when my company pays for everything....why should I leave until I am done?
My employer pays 100% of tuition and $150 per course for books, so there is also the $$$$ factor that the University's take into consideration.
You would be AMAZED at how University's bend even a little when the money is guaranteed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Do I have a chance? [#permalink]
It's nice to see some people on my level. I had a 2.4 in undergrad. I worked full time and had a lot going on. In retrospect, I wish I had focused more on school. Now I'm an executive that's reached the ceiling and I need an MBA to move ahead. It's been years and I'm testing at 480-500.

My question to everyone is: do I have a chance of getting into a decent school. Level with me, I don't need encouragement, I need some honest input.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Joelt

I would say yes. Like I said in my last comment, you have options out there.
There seems to be this "attitude" that you are a loser if you get under a 500 and the University's treat you like pond scum. That is NOT the case. As I stated before, it is on a university by university basis. I would research the universitys around you (and I am NOT talking about the University of Phoenix or City University's of the world), the ones who are accredited and view what they require. The university I have applied to factors in much more than the GMAT for entrance.
BUT by no means am I saying that the GMAT does not matter, because it does.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
LisaBiz wrote:
Joelt

I would say yes. Like I said in my last comment, you have options out there.
There seems to be this "attitude" that you are a loser if you get under a 500 and the University's treat you like pond scum. That is NOT the case. As I stated before, it is on a university by university basis. I would research the universitys around you (and I am NOT talking about the University of Phoenix or City University's of the world), the ones who are accredited and view what they require. The university I have applied to factors in much more than the GMAT for entrance.
BUT by no means am I saying that the GMAT does not matter, because it does.

so you know any accredated schools that would take 2.6's and 570-600?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
well your GMAT score is great.
I do not understand this defeatist attitude from people on this website that somehow less than a 600 or less than a 500 makes you less intelligent (??) or somehow a university cannot be accredited if they accept you with less than a 500. It is complete B.S.

Have you tried researching the university's around your area?
I have no clue where you live.
I have 5 years experience in what I do (Cost Analyst), work at a Fortune 500 company, graduated from a top 20 undergrad program with a 2.9 and am scoring a 450 on my practice GMAT's. I have furthered my resume with Dale Carnegie Leadership courses...blah, blah, blah. It is all what you make of it.
I am just trying to say, you HAVE to do the research about the university.
There are 3 in my immediate area that are accredited. I know for a FACT the one will not glance my direction because of my low GMAT score...am I proud of that score...absolutely not, nor will I allow it to define what my goals are. I know by RESEARCH the other two will accept me in quite possibly on a probationary status. Tell me one person who isn't given the chance to prove themselves...who isn't up for that kind of challenge for one term?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
LisaBiz wrote:
well your GMAT score is great.
I do not understand this defeatist attitude from people on this website that somehow less than a 600 or less than a 500 makes you less intelligent (??) or somehow a university cannot be accredited if they accept you with less than a 500. It is complete B.S.

Have you tried researching the university's around your area?
I have no clue where you live.
I have 5 years experience in what I do (Cost Analyst), work at a Fortune 500 company, graduated from a top 20 undergrad program with a 2.9 and am scoring a 450 on my practice GMAT's. I have furthered my resume with Dale Carnegie Leadership courses...blah, blah, blah. It is all what you make of it.
I am just trying to say, you HAVE to do the research about the university.
There are 3 in my immediate area that are accredited. I know for a FACT the one will not glance my direction because of my low GMAT score...am I proud of that score...absolutely not, nor will I allow it to define what my goals are. I know by RESEARCH the other two will accept me in quite possibly on a probationary status. Tell me one person who isn't given the chance to prove themselves...who isn't up for that kind of challenge for one term?

I live in Michigan and have a place in FLorida. Any place east of the middle of the country would be fine. I have researched. I'm not sure if schools don't take applicants with lower than the minimum gpa's. I had a 2.65 from Michigan and Michigan State in Economics. Tough major at 2 good schools. I have some medical issues for the low gpa that I will list in my essay. I'm 24 and have done some work in real estate finance and a couple of internships. My Gmat scores have ranged from 560-630, so that is probably what I will get
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will say again. You are doing really well on the GMAT exams. Much better than I am doing. (450? it bites)
I know from conversations I have had with people I work with, two of these universitys in our area (Seattle) will not disqualify you just because you scored under a 500. you sound like you have a solid undergrad foundation and work experience....AND you are doing really well on your GMAT exams.
It doesn't sound like you have an idea where to settle yet to start your MBA. I guess I would do that first.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
There are so many MBA programs accredited by the AACSB that accept students with GMAT scores below 500 !! what are you talking about guys ? If you have a GMAT score of 450 and a strong work experience you may not be able to get into the top 100 MBA programs (although there is always a chance), yet you can get to alot of decent accredited MBA programs. For example, Case Western Reserve as one of good schools in the nation and has an MBA program ranked 75 in the nation by US news has an 80% GMAT score range of 460- 700 with an average of 588. Remember, that's just the 80 % GMAT scores range. That is, there are still students accepted with GMAT scores below 460.

Now, talking about the top 200 MBA programs that are accredited, one definitely get into an MBA program with a GMAT score even less than 450. Nevertheless, in order to do so, one should have a decent GPA [ above 2.7 ] and a strong work experience.

In the case when someone with 400 GMAT - 2.2 GPA - less than 2 years of weak work experience - not too bad RC's and zero community service , and still want to get into a decent MBA program ? he gotta be lucky he could get an undergraduate degree !
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
golfpro20050 wrote:
I live in Michigan and have a place in FLorida. Any place east of the middle of the country would be fine. I have researched. I'm not sure if schools don't take applicants with lower than the minimum gpa's. I had a 2.65 from Michigan and Michigan State in Economics. Tough major at 2 good schools. I have some medical issues for the low gpa that I will list in my essay. I'm 24 and have done some work in real estate finance and a couple of internships. My Gmat scores have ranged from 560-630, so that is probably what I will get

Are those your practice scores or actual scores? If they are practice, you should assume you will do better as most people do on test day. I was scoring 560 on Kaplans CATs and scored a 690 on the acutal. Also, with your profile, assuming you have had leadership roles somewhere in your life, you can definitely crack the top 50 schools. I would suggest looking into Vanderbilt or Rice U, both great schools, good reps and an average salary floating around 90K coming out of the program. 630 GMAT and a 2.65 GPA (assuming you can mitigate it) is a little bit of a reach for a top 30 school, but if you can really "WOW" the adcom with your essays, then I would say pick two that are a fit and shoot for them. The worst that can happen is you spend $360 on apps and receive two dings. Give it a shot. PM if you have any other questions as I am not normally on this thread.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a 3.5 gpa from a small, local public university in Louisiana. I do not have aspirations of going to a top 10 school. I am not looking at school that require a GMAT score of 700+. The schools I am considering require GMAT scores in the range of 450-600.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
well yes you are right and propably thats the reason you are browsing gmatclub.com to get 700+ score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, if it helps your conscience My GPA is under 3.0, because I always worked during university, and I took two course LAW and Economics. My GMAT isn't dne yet, but I expect it is high enough to justify my low GPA.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3