Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes... I saw your location as well ;) A japanese BS, very nice :) I believe that u plan to work in Japan, isn't it? :)

Yes, It will be my first attempt. I'm a bit scared but I try to remain confident on my preparation :)

My wished B school is HEC. Hence, I would be glad to achieve a score within the range that u discribed as fitted for u :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish you good luck for HEC and please send me your results as soon as you took GMAT Exam.

Have a nice day

Seb
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Average preparation time .??? [#permalink]
SebZen wrote:
Hi everybody

First of all congratulations to the founders and members of this website.

It is great to know we are not alone in this world to fight vs GMAT :-D

I decided to apply to a MBA in JAPAN next year. Deadline : first week of January 2007.

I will study everyday (2h) and weekend (5h a day) to win vs GMAT and get around 650/680.

I think I have enough time to prepare GMAT, TOEFL and essays (this is first time for me to experience GMAT)
I took TOEIC in June and I get 880 after one month preparation.

Could you tell me how long did you prepare to win vs GMAT ?

Thanks in advance

Seb

As far as I know, there are only two AACSB accredited b-schools here in Japan. 1) McGill and 2) Temple. Both are in/around Tokyo. There is another school in Niigata (IUJ), and other brand name private schools: Keo, Waseda, Hitotsubashi...etc, but the last I heard they don't require a GMAT for admissions. Have you passed the MOJ Government Japanese Proficiency Test Level 1?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi GMATT73,

I am thinking about Hitotsubashi (Public university) and Waseda (Private university) next year.

These 2 universities have a very good reputation IN Japan. As a consequence, you never see them mentioned in international rankings such as Business Week, FT, ......
Because of no AACSB maybe....certainly (!)

The other universities you named are good too.

I also do confirm Hitotsubashi and Waseda require GMAT and TOEFL. I went to HITOTSUBASHI ICS last month and the score for GMAT should be around 650 to avoid disappointment :lol: and 600 for TOEFL.
Waseda is quite same but, as a foreign applicant, I have to show motivation writing more essays (almost double !!).

I did not take JLPT 1 because my japanese level is farrrr from being bilingual.
That's why I looked for a MBA taught in english. As soon as I know I am accepted (during 1st semester 2007), I will learn seriously japanese in order the following semester (courses start in September or October).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I plan to take GMAT exam in the beginning of next year, certainly first week of January; which means I have about 4 months to be ready !

As a very beginner (and I am not a native english speaker), I decided to try GMATprep without any preparation the last weekend.

I had the following result : 390.

I had this score with 22 incorrect answers in quantitative section and 23 in verbal section.

This score does not reflect at all my level but I was curious to see my starting point (!). I noticed I am weak everywhere :oops:

My target is still 650 - 680.

Following advice from Praetorian, I will study with OG 11th (orange cover) first.

I will also use Kaplan 2006 (CD included) + Kaplan 800 + all the books from Manhattan GMAT books.

I will not forget to use the several materials which are available on this great website !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do you keep an error/practice log? Keeping track of your mistakes is a must for this test. For your aimed score range, I´d tell you to concentrate on your math weaknesses and SC, which is the easiest of the verbal sorts of questions to master. Also, try to practice at least a couple of PS, DS, SC, CR, RC every day. It´s a bit like a gym routine: you don´t want to do all legs for one week, then arms for another week, etc, but develop all muscles together progressively.

Good luck!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It will mostly depend on your pre-study level. You can figure that out by doing some diagnostic test or prep (and then use the score estimator on this site or just ask).

I took 3 months at about the same rate as you (2hs/day on weekdays, etc.) with specific course. I then took some extra 15 days for additional preps and waiting for the exam. I suggest you get started ASAP, you never know if you'll need more than 1 attemp.

Hope it helps. L.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would recommend about 3 months. Beyond this you will probably find you get diminishing returns from your extra study and you will find it hard to keep up your focus on the test.

That said everyone takes a different amount of time. There are more than 20 detailed accounts of preparing for the GMAT linked to from Tips from successful GMAT takers and it's definitely worth reading a few to get a sense of the different approaches that people have found worked for them.

Best of luck,

Joel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm here with 1 week to go (with 2 days elapsed) - it's all about execution!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
you're right, it is all about execution at this point...don't forget to eat a hearty breakfast full of protein on test day. i made the mistake of eating lightly and just cereal. i burned out halfway thru the test and hate hearing the same thing from other people, so in order to execute best on test day have yourself a filling omelette!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]