Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How many people here are targeting Stern specifically for finance? Which specific area/s? (just curious)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will be submitting Stern application in few days...

who else on the same boat..????????

Essay 3....I am just writing an Essay

Cheers
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, I'm wrapping up my application for R2. just did an essay after talking to a few students and alumni for essay 3.

I'm looking to stay in investment mgmt, and preferably move over to equity research after getting an mba. It seems like Stern would be really good for this. The michael price student investment fund is quite well-developed--even more so than Chicago's.

The thing about Stern that I've noticed is that it's only about finance. It has to have the most narrow focus of all the schools in the top 15. I've heard that this is both good (lots of networking opps) and bad (everyone's the same) from the students.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Have you guys found that it's kind of hard to talk about your past experiences in the Stern application? The questions seem really foward looking. There's a short goals essay, a short "Fit and contribution to Stern" essay, and a short "describe yourself" essay. None of the standard "proudest accomplishment" or "managed a team" questions.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with you...Stern has a weird set of essays and a 500 word limit

Essay I -- 500 word - Career choices, why MBA and why Now, ST and LT - Dammit -after covering such a huge set in 500 where else u can fit Why stern at a detailed level

Essay II - What have u done to reach out, how you will contribute and how u will benefit from Stern

Essay IIII - CRAP - Medium of expression to describe urself..--I dont even think that Essay III will make any difference to one's profile apart from showing your creative skills...

It looks like they might use the GMAT/GPA to select the bunch for interviews......
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
On the Employment History section, are you listing all of your jobs since high school (including crap stuff like waiting tables) or just your jobs since college?

Here are the official instructions. I wish they would be more specific.

Quote:
Provide your Employment History separately from your résumé. The Employment History should follow the format below and should list all positions you have held, including employer, starting and ending dates, promotions, salary/bonus and reason for leaving.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'll be applying for Stern in the weekend. Finishing my essays right now...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I honestly think disregarding essay 3 in the way mentioned would be a big mistake. Two essays with such a clear structure and short word count are putting on to a clear, precise approach. There are schools with a lot looser word count on less topic. Got to think them out.

I have some ideas for what I am going to do for three. It reflects me pretty well, and should be quite fun for me to put together. By all means just write an essay for three. It shows LOADS of creativity. Maybe just copy one you wrote for another school and do a find-replace...

I am annoyed that they want the proper transcripts, as getting one copy from my faculty for my significant years was enough work in itself. I can't see why they feel the need to take in the real versions.

As for jobs, I may well mention my bar work through University, and maybe mention some other bits. But bear in mind it asks about bonus, and will be seeking relevance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Regarding Essay #3...

When I visited Stern, there was a 2nd year student (AdCom) giving a tour who said that vast majority of people submit essays and that it is not a problem. He did encourage us to put a creative spin to our essays so that they would stand out.

If you go on Stern's website, there you will find an interview with AdCom about essay#3. hope that helps....
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, if you have something super creative for Essay 3, then go for it. It seems like we're somewhat limited given that we can't use anything that has to be played (like an iMovie or CD). So maybe you could incorporate something like pictures or a diorama.

Also, from a pratical standpoint, the application is due on Monday. So you'd probably need to get the FedEx out the door today if you were going to mail something in for Essay 3.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just wrote an Essay in 500 words to talk about my hobbies and interests.....i think thats the way "I would like to describe myself" to classmates.....It looks more like a short story ....

Transcripts send..and will upload the essays and docs today.....

So end of Application for Round 2...

cheers
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
naturallight wrote:

Also, from a pratical standpoint, the application is due on Monday. So you'd probably need to get the FedEx out the door today if you were going to mail something in for Essay 3.

Or check that the website says everything needs to be in on Monday, or postmarked that day.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I submitted my app for the Dec 01 deadline. I heard nothing from them for the whole month of december and just last week, they tell me that one of my recs are missing.

I'm like WHAT :shock:

I was 99% sure that everything was in. well I had to submit again and now I don't know when I will hear from them about interviews :(
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Done with my Stern Application.............
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm done with my NYU Stern application as well, it's been a week.

I really hope I'll get an admit, this is my dream school, and my first choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Have any R2ers heard back yet?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Within a week? You must be kidding. I'll probably start thinking about what is going on by mid Feb.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7