Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [23]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Re: Editorial in Golbindian Newspaper: For almost three months, [#permalink]
please can an expert explain this

I was thinking E

it looks for a reason to show that the attendance decline does not mean decline in support

if a decrease in unemployment implies people have started getting jobs so they are busy working and cannot attend does not mean that people now dont show intrest

so it should be E

can anyone explain a general streagtegy for solving these problems
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Re: Editorial in Golbindian Newspaper: For almost three months, opposition [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the editorial below?

Editorial in Golbindian Newspaper: For almost three months, opposition parties have been mounting daily street demonstrations in the capital in an effort to pressure the ruling party into calling an election. Though the demonstrations were well attended at first, attendance has declined steadily in recent weeks. However, the decline in attendance does not indicate that popular support for the opposition’s demands is dropping, since _____________

A. the opposition’s demands have not changed during the period when the street demonstrations have been mounted.

B. No foreign governments have expressed any support for the opposition’s demands.

C. The state-controlled media have ceased any mention of the demonstrations, leaving many citizens outside the capital with no way of knowing that demonstrations continue.

D. There have not recently been any antigovernment demonstrations in cities other than the capital.

E. A recent sharp decrease in unemployment has led to increased popular support for the government.

You must look for something to explain why the people could still support the movement but are not able to be present on the streets, it looks that only C support this strategy.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Editorial in Golbindian Newspaper: For almost three months, opposition [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

Editorial in Golbindian Newspaper: For almost three months, opposition parties have been mounting daily street demonstrations in the capital in an effort to pressure the ruling party into calling an election. Though the demonstrations were well attended at first, attendance has declined steadily in recent weeks. However, the decline in attendance does not indicate that popular support for the opposition’s demands is dropping, since _____________

A. the opposition’s demands have not changed during the period when the street demonstrations have been mounted.

B. No foreign governments have expressed any support for the opposition’s demands.

C. The state-controlled media have ceased any mention of the demonstrations, leaving many citizens outside the capital with no way of knowing that demonstrations continue.

D. There have not recently been any antigovernment demonstrations in cities other than the capital.

E. A recent sharp decrease in unemployment has led to increased popular support for the government.

Conclusion: the decline in attendance does not indicate that popular support for the opposition’s demands is dropping.

We are asked to explain the cause to explain the discrepancy. We should search for a statement which says that support did not for opposition demands.

a: the opposition’s demands have not changed during the period when the street demonstrations have been mounted.
This does not explain anything regarding support. Wrong answer

b: No foreign governments have expressed any support for the opposition’s demands.
Completely out of scope

c: The state-controlled media have ceased any mention of the demonstrations, leaving many citizens outside the capital with no way of knowing that demonstrations continue. This explains the reason why public is not turning up for the event. They are not aware of it. This is the correct choice.

D. There have not recently been any anti-government demonstrations in cities other than the capital.
Completely out of scope

This does not explain anything regarding reduction in the number of people.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply

the question is between dwindling attendence and support for demands

opposition demands not changing does not quantify anything. may be the demands have lost its sheen

foreign governments support is out of context

C. The state-controlled media have ceased any mention of the demonstrations, leaving many citizens outside the capital with no way of knowing that demonstrations continue.this gives us a reason for less attendence even though the support remains.. correct

out of context

E. A recent sharp decrease in unemployment has led to increased popular support for the government
this rather states opposite

ans C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38821 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
aurobindo wrote:
Editorial in Golbindian Newspaper: For almost three months, opposition parties have been mounting daily street demonstrations in the capital in an effort to pressure the ruling party into calling an election. Though the demonstrations were well attended at first, attendance has declined steadily in recent weeks.
However, the decline in attendance does not indicate that popular support for the opposition’s demands is dropping, since
A. the opposition’s demands have not changed during the period when the
street demonstrations have been mounted.
E. A recent sharp decrease in unemployment has led to increased popular
support for the government.

Correct Answer C

Answer Choice A is wrong because it actually demonstrated/restated a part of the premise of the argument.

Thanks

Originally posted by AbdurRakib on 04 Jul 2016, 08:13.
Last edited by AbdurRakib on 08 Feb 2017, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi experts,

Kindly request for help.I have question about option C.

How can this restriction reduce the number of people demonstrating against the government? It could help explain why the number doesn't rise but not why it decreases since people who have once joined are already known about the demonstration. IMHO,why some of those people are no longer at the demonstration can't be explained by this restriction.

What did I miss from the argument?
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38821 [1]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

Kindly request for help.I have question about option C.

How can this restriction reduce the number of people demonstrating against the government? It could help explain why the number doesn't rise but not why it decreases since people who have once joined are already known about the demonstration. IMHO,why some of those people are no longer at the demonstration can't be explained by this restriction.

What did I miss from the argument?
Thanks

About Correct Answer C:

Due to State-controlled media's restriction ,People outside the capital are not well informed(or at-least discouraged )anymore about the demonstration's existence in the capital.May be ,more people could come to the daily street demonstration in the capital if the media didn't restrict .

Above information actually strengthen the idea that the demonstration is still popular even though participant people is decreasing.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 640 Q51 V26
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
We are told that the opposition party’s rallies were well attended initially. However, of late the rallies have faced declining attendance. Yet, the author believes that the drop in attendance does not prove the decline in public support. We need to prove the author’s belief to be correct.

Whether the demands have changed or not does not explain the degree of public support for the opposition’s demands.
Foreign governments are out of scope.
CORRECT. Since people are not aware of the continuing demonstrations, they have not been able to take part in them But this does not mean that people do not support the campaign anymore.
‘Demonstrations in other cities’ is irrelevant.
‘Unemployment’ is out of scope.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts