Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
jsnooky33 wrote:
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reponse.

I have one question about the work leadership/impact though. I'm by far the youngest person at my work besides our receptionist (the youngest person I know is 35). The government contracting work is usually a lot of retired agency people who use their connections to lead new projects/strategy. I have been the lead for many ideas at my job, but nothing COO or Director level. Most of these have also been tasks that required less than 3 people. Will the adcom take into consideration the older average age, and required government connections, of people in this industry?

The leadership/impact outside of work hit home though. I'm currently exploring some of the local D.C. volunteer organizations that would allow someone of my age to have leadership responsibility. If I can't find one, I'll probably start one (always have thought about it)!

jsnooky33,

The adcoms will certainly take colleagues' average age and industry connections etc. into account, but only if you draw their attention to these factors in your essays. You need to lay out all the evidence that you are fast-track and a "high-potential" achiever given your age.

I like to hear you say you might start a volunteer organization. That's the kind of thinking that can help you stand out.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Paul,

Sorry to bug you again. I would go bother someone else but you are the best! What are schools going to think when they see that my non-profit incorporated only 4-5 months before applying? I don't want them to think I only did it for b-school (b-school did motivate me on starting this sooner though).

I really want to make sure I do things right the first time, and would obviously like to maximize my chances at a top school. Assuming I get a 690+ GMAT, would you advise on waiting to apply for the 2009-2011 class? This would give me almost 1.5 years of running a non-profit and I could probably be a mid-level systems engineer (if I decide to go on a contract instead of staying in business development) by that time. Even though mid-level doesn't sound like much, it usually requires at least 5 years experience and our recruiter has yet to come across one who is in his or her 20s.

Looking around at schools the average age seems to be 25-28, and for the 2009-2011 class I would be 24 when applying (25 in December).

Thanks again!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
jsnooky33 wrote:
Hey Paul,

Sorry to bug you again. I would go bother someone else but you are the best! What are schools going to think when they see that my non-profit incorporated only 4-5 months before applying? I don't want them to think I only did it for b-school (b-school did motivate me on starting this sooner though).

I really want to make sure I do things right the first time, and would obviously like to maximize my chances at a top school. Assuming I get a 690+ GMAT, would you advise on waiting to apply for the 2009-2011 class? This would give me almost 1.5 years of running a non-profit and I could probably be a mid-level systems engineer (if I decide to go on a contract instead of staying in business development) by that time. Even though mid-level doesn't sound like much, it usually requires at least 5 years experience and our recruiter has yet to come across one who is in his or her 20s.

Looking around at schools the average age seems to be 25-28, and for the 2009-2011 class I would be 24 when applying (25 in December).

Thanks again!

jsnooky33,

The worst thing schools will think is that getting into B-school motivated you to get involved, but that's no deal-breaker, especially if the impact you had after you got involved is significant. It's the impact not the intent that they care most about.

I certainly think you would be a stronger applicant if you waited until the 2009-11 class. But keep in mind that the worst thing that would happen if you apply before then is you'll get dinged -- but that means you'll get feedback from some schools on areas to improve on and will marginally increase your odds for admission later since most schools modestly favor reapplicants. So it comes down to how soon you feel you need the MBA.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Edited.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]