Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
well i definitely do not want to ask them if i risk losing my admissions! :shock:

i'm thinking..... this has to be a common scenario for applicants. also, i was going to use the story of my failed business in 2006 to explain my situation and kindly ask to see if any assistance is available... i dunno man! Anderson is aware of my failed business and the financial stress that resulted bc i talked all about it in my optional essay.

what to do what to do?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: asking a school to match another school's scholarship of [#permalink]
Do you have in-state at Anderson ? If not, you can qualify for the second year. Not sure whether this helps..just wanted to draw your attention.

WBF wrote:
gmatclubbers, i need your advice. i was awarded a small scholarship from Darden ($20k total, $10k per year). on first thought, this is probably not enough to persuade me- Anderson is my top choice at the moment and my heart is pretty much set on it for several reasons, including important personal preferences.

how should i go about asking Anderson to consider matching the scholarship offer? in my opinion, it doesnt hurt to ask, especially if it is done the right way. the worst thing that can happen is they say sorry, wish we could help. best case scenario, i'll have less money to repay post MBA.

thanks in advance!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A former colleague of mine was in this exact position last spring - only she was hoping that Anderson would match her Fuqua scholarship offer. She basically called Anderson up and at great length explained how much she loved the school and really wanted to come to LA. But then she briefly explained how she was having a tough time financially justifying the decision. The adcom or whoever her contact was said they would get back to her. Five minutes later they called her back and matched the Duke scholarship which was about $20K. I'm not sure if that was a yearly figure or over two years. I'm also not sure if she just got lucky or if thats common practice.

Originally posted by dukes on 12 Feb 2007, 18:24.
Last edited by dukes on 12 Feb 2007, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yes most definitely. and that's exactly the reason why 20k from darden is not nearly enough. i can't get in-state my first year at anderson, but definitely the second year like you said. from a purely financial point of view, darden tuition - 20k scholarship will cost approx the same as anderson without a scholarship.

just wanted to somehow use this schol. as a bargaining tool. obviously, any assistance has an impact.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
I former colleague of mine was in this exact position last spring - only she was hoping that Anderson would match her Fuqua scholarship offer. She basically called Anderson up and at great length explained how much she loved the school and really wanted to come LA. But then she briefly explained how she was having a tough time financially justifying the decision. The adcom or whoever her contact was said they would get back to her. Five minutes later they called her back and matched Duke scholarship which was about $20K. I'm not sure if that was a yearly figure or over two years. I'm also not sure if she just got lucky or if thats common practice.

wow are you serious? and did she end up at anderson after all? this gives me hope and something to consider! thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, she's at Anderson now and loving it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Withdraw the offer?? Yikes! Ouch! Really?

It seems like you would have to be a class-A jerk-off when you ask to get them to do that. I obviously don't have any experience with this, but aren't we all applying to business school? Aren't we all supposed to be money-grabbing fiends? Masters of negotiation?

It seems so easy and normal to say, "School X, you are absolutely my first choice, but School A did offer me $XXXX. That amount is something I can't ignore when making my final decision. I wondered if there is any way you might consider matching that amount?"

The guy I'm talking about was trying to get Stanford to "show him the money", and, yes, he was told by a Stanford alumn that he *might* get his offer withdrawn.

Anyway, glad to see ther's been clarification on Anderson's take on this issue.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd say don't go to Anderson for daring not to give you enough money! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It all depends on your negotiating skills.

If by any chance you tick off the wrong nerve, it could prove counter productive.

Since Anderson is your dream school, go ask Darden to increase the Schol.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]