Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Best thread ever!

We want to add diversification to the class - We want everyone all around the world to submit their apps, so we can earn more money.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I get the whole thing that it's just a song-and-dance like a job interview, but the truly annoying part is the holier-than-thou attitude from ad-coms where you get stupid contradictions like "well obviously we want the candidates to just be themselves, we want essays that show who they are, what do they enjoy doing, how they have dealt with setbacks or weaknesses, and maybe a general idea of what they want to do with their career, we know people change careers 7 times,"

while out of the other side of their mouth they're saying,

"We look for people who can show they are natural-born leaders, superhuman creatures that can see through walls and build orphanages with one hand tied behind their back, we don't want people that don't know exactly what they want to do, we want people who can tell us where they will be living when they're 50, and what the third line of their W2 will look like on July 1st 2015."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
standard wrote:
Best thread ever!

We want to add diversification to the class - We want everyone all around the world to submit their apps, so we can earn more money.

Its not about the money. This is peanuts in the end guys. It's about acceptance rate and percieved eliteness. They encourage as many applicants as possible to apply because it makes the school appear more competitive. This isn't just for grad programs, they do it undergrad too. In fact, I was just having a conversation yesterday with an admissions director who was telling me about how they moved to a common app "in order to bring in more applications and bring our admit % down a bit". She then smiled and said "And get our rank up!".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Obviously everyone who appears for the GMAT and applies to B schools is a masochist. More so for international applicants. Why would they do it otherwise :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
rhyme wrote:
standard wrote:
Best thread ever!

Its not about the money. This is peanuts in the end guys. It's about acceptance rate and percieved eliteness. They encourage as many applicants as possible to apply because it makes the school appear more competitive. This isn't just for grad programs, they do it undergrad too. In fact, I was just having a conversation yesterday with an admissions director who was telling me about how they moved to a common app "in order to bring in more applications and bring our admit % down a bit". She then smiled and said "And get our rank up!".

My next best guess. However, there is a dilemma. Most people do not submit to the hardest-to-get-in schools. Why? Because they think that the application will be dinged, probably.

That's my view, it might be wrong.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I don't know what you mean by "most people," but certainly enough apply to Harvard and company so that HBS can maintain its 13% acceptance rate (or whatever it is). Any way you slice it, there are PLENTY of people applying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "most people," but certainly enough apply to Harvard and company so that HBS can maintain its 13% acceptance rate (or whatever it is). Any way you slice it, there are PLENTY of people applying.

OK I meant "many" there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

One of the top business schools hired its own student to get the %employed after graduation move up :twisted: I so want to sit in an ethics class at that school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome thread!
I was ROFLing my way through. Each post here deserves a Booker! :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am sure there must be some collges to give interview invite to people who are otherwise deadmeat and then ding them so they will reapply again and many with siilar profiles would apply thereby generating hype and good figures(selectivity etc)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I agree that a lot of it is b.s. If you work in certain industries or in certain types of high stress jobs you just don't have the time to devote to meaningful extracurricular activities. I think it is really crappy to hold something like that against someone, especially if they were involved in activities in college/grad school.

Assuming I do get in to Chicago and/or Kellogg off of their respective Wait Lists, I will post a rant highlighting the things about the process that are nonsensical (from my point of view).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Funny thing. I totally hear you, however this didn't make me mad :) I may be a moron (and I'm quite sure I screwed a hell lot of opportunities because of that), but I NEVER fake things. I believe you can't be happy on a job, or college, or whatever that accepted your "beautified copy". Either they take me the way I am - with all my cr@p, - or we just say goodbye, why waste each other's time.

So no, I didn't "tell what they wanted to hear" anywhere. I did structure it in a way they request, but nothing more. My integrity costs more than the gawddamn school can offer.

...we'll see if this approach wins me anything...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
BUMP!

Browsing through some old posts to let off some steam and found this gem. Look for batchgmat's question to an ad-com. That was frigging awesome.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:
Tell me about it. I once asked an AdComm member during an information session to give us an example of when an applicant "wasn't himself" (as they always love to say).

Needless to say, she couldn't.

Fricking crazy!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I certainly can relate to this thread. I am getting burned out. Only my stubborn determination keeps driving me along.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow ...excellent thread to bring up now.
There ain't a better way to vent this out ... I just hope the results are sweet enough to neutralise this bitterness ...
Until then, I'll fool myself that I'm not bitter to keep myself going !
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
These adcom goons probably all have HR backgrounds...

I think Montauk, that retard even says so in his book.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7