Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah E...the city is only addressing half of the problem in Air pollution, and ignoring water pollution
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: CR - City Planners [#permalink]
Kudos
rdg wrote:
Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution. A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the logic employed by the city planners?

A) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years.
B) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants.
C) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities.
D) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system.
E) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain.

I would like to choose B here.

In E we are assuming that the city faces the problem of acid rain. That is no where mentioned in the argument as a possibility. E for me is irrelevant.

On the other hand, the argument says that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. When Automobile manufacturers introduce newer car models, that emit significantly fewer pollutants then sycamore trees may not thrive. And who knows, they may even die. Hence, B seems the answer to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 935 [0]
Send PM
aurobindo wrote:

In E we are assuming that the city faces the problem of acid rain. That is no where mentioned in the argument as a possibility. E for me is irrelevant.

On the other hand, the argument says that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. When Automobile manufacturers introduce newer car models, that emit significantly fewer pollutants then sycamore trees may not thrive. And who knows, they may even die. Hence, B seems the answer to me.

You are right .... didn't read it that closely and missed "the main pollutant emitted by automobiles" part .... shame on me .....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [0]
Send PM
aurobindo wrote:
rdg wrote:
Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution. A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the logic employed by the city planners?

A) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years.
B) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants.
C) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities.
D) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system.
E) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain.

I would say B is out of scope. Just because car manufacturers are building cars w/ fewer pollutants, we cannot assume that they will even be sold in City X, or that people in City X will drive these cars.

D is close, as it directly attacks carbon monoxide as the cause for thriving trees. But I dont think its strong enough, why did no one choose D, I wonder?

E does make the assumption that water pollution=acid rain, as mentioned in the stem:
trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution.

Test day I would have chosen E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
OA ia 'E'

Choices (B) and (D) are out of scope; the city’s plan concerns the resistance of trees to carbon monoxide, not the potential lower level of carbon monoxide in the future. Choice (C) is irrelevant. Choice (E) provides information that suggests that the city’s plan won’t work: while sycamores thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, they are extremely sensitive to another pollutant that exists in City X. (E) is therefore the credited answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Send PM
buckkitty wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
rdg wrote:

I would say B is out of scope. Just because car manufacturers are building cars w/ fewer pollutants, we cannot assume that they will even be sold in City X, or that people in City X will drive these cars.

D is close, as it directly attacks carbon monoxide as the cause for thriving trees. But I dont think its strong enough, why did no one choose D, I wonder?

E does make the assumption that water pollution=acid rain, as mentioned in the stem:
trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution.

Test day I would have chosen E.

In D we are assuming that many low exhaust buses were introduced and they will have impact over the pollution levels. What if the no of buses is very small. D is also assuming that buses emit carbon monoxide. Argument talks about only automobiles when talking about carbon monoxide.

I am not sure whether buses come under automobiles. Do they?:?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Because of air and water polution trees were dying.

Sycamore trees thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Options (B) and (D) both support and help to keep Sycamore tree thrive in city's environment.

But, what about water polution? Therefore, option (E) weakens the the logic employed by the city planners.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
rdg wrote:
Because of air and water polution trees were dying.

Sycamore trees thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Options (B) and (D) both support and help to keep Sycamore tree thrive in city's environment.

But, what about water polution? Therefore, option (E) weakens the the logic employed by the city planners.

U mean acid rain is a pollutant? As far as I understand acid rains occur when the level of SO2 in air goes to a very high level. SO2 is not even mentioned in the argument.

anyways...OA is OA :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [4]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the [#permalink]