Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats! That is awesome.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations on an amazing score!

Some great advice there too. I couldn't agree more that practicing crappy SC's is a waste of time and can actually be a detriment. I really didn't like the Kaplan 800 SC's at all even though some people talk about how great they are because they're so difficult.

I also agree that keeping things simple is a good idea. OG all the way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the info about the scratch pad! Just ordered one...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Cheers!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quick question: Can you write a debrief about the differences from your first exam and the second in terms of prep/test day experiences.

Great score, btw!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
Quick question: Can you write a debrief about the differences from your first exam and the second in terms of prep/test day experiences.

Differences between first attempt and second attempt:

1) More use of the OG materials the 2nd time around. My Quant was 47 the first time. Although not a bad score, I labored through the section, and I felt exhausted and frustrated at the end, setting up a bad start for Verbal. This time, I never thought any questions were really hard. For verbal (46 up from 40), CR and RC were easy because I had done so many practice problems. Those became extremely predictable; I probably missed 1-2 total. I still had to work on SC, but with everything else much easier due to practice, I felt very relaxed and confident through the whole test.

2) I put less emphasis on the AWA. This may not apply to foreign candidates and those with AWA's near the cutoff of their schools. I put too much energy into the AWA the first time (got a 5.5). That resulted in making the more important Quant section harder. This time around I just used a super-generic template and filled it in. Rule of thumb is this: If you can get over a 4, then don't put too much more time and effort into it.

3) I didn't drink a Frappucino during the break. That made a huge difference. I usually love caffeine, and it doesn't hinder my thinking one bit. But the Gmat is different. You need every single brain cell/compartment working clearly. I truly believe it when anyone says that the test makes your brain work at 110% capacity. In other words, don't try to use anything that may alter your brain power. This time I drank some water and ate a Wonka bar (chocolate and graham cracker) for fast carb energy. My opinion is that a Wonka bar is great; it has both fast, simple carb and slower, complex carb. (That was the comic relief for this post.)

4) I practiced thoroughly with the scratch pad. Again, I am not endorsing any one product, but the one I got was an exact replica. Part of the difference was psychological, but that was important when you're trying to get every last extra point. Some people may not think it makes a big difference. My advice is to find out for yourself by at least trying out something similar first. Oh, by the way, it's not eraseable during the test. (If you don't know what that means, then you definitely need to find out.)
Also, I don't know if the different centers give out different markers, but my marker was not a Lumocolor superfine, it was a fine.

5) I didn't ever freak out over one problem or let anything get to me. That comes from practice and training yourself. Also, I didn't do any studying the 2 days before the test. That helped also.

Good luck guys! I hope the info given will get you a few more points. If you use the Wonka bar advice, please credit me...lol!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you think is the optimal way to improve the Quant score? My test is in July and I am currently scoring in the low 40% in Quant and low 80% in Verbal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
What do you think is the optimal way to improve the Quant score? My test is in July and I am currently scoring in the low 40% in Quant and low 80% in Verbal.

If you're at 40% Q, then you need to use materials designed for that range. I love Gmatclub and Manhattan, but the challenges and practice, repectively, will not help you much at this point. Many of us don't like Kaplan or Princeton Review, but we're talking about high levels. Kaplan or TPR would really be beneficial to your Quant studying. If you have the money, you should enroll in a course rather than just buy their books. Those classes are designed just to help people in your profile. OG would help also, but limit yourself to the first 2/3 of the practice problems for now.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I see by your other post, it was nearly 10 months between your exams. What was your gameplan in between? It's a pretty long time period.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
I see by your other post, it was nearly 10 months between your exams. What was your gameplan in between? It's a pretty long time period.

Relax, mainly. I don't think I had the fuel to immediately start studying or even planning for another Gmat right after my first attempt. I just pretty much congratulated myself on a decent score and gave myself some time to forget about the Gmat until 2007.

Then, as I had promised myself, as soon as New Year's day passed, I started seriously considering retaking the test. My main reason was that I knew I could do better, not just in the self-motivating sense but in a guaranteed sense, if I took it again.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
farseer wrote:
Then, as I had promised myself, as soon as New Year's day passed, I started seriously considering retaking the test. My main reason was that I knew I could do better, not just in the self-motivating sense but in a guaranteed sense, if I took it again.

So you prepped for a little under 2 months? Would you say all that you learned the first time around came rushing back or did you have to relearn a lot of the material?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
farseer wrote:

So you prepped for a little under 2 months? Would you say all that you learned the first time around came rushing back or did you have to relearn a lot of the material?

Definitely rushing back. Gmat is definitely a concept-based test rather than a content-based test. So I was back to my first attempt level in a week or so. I actually studied a little over a month, but I one of the things I'm proud of is that I actually build up more motivation, and thus put in more effort, as I go along. There are too many people that get a full head of steam at the beginning and then lose it all by test date.

I've realized from other post a month ago that you're thinking about retaking the gmat? Have you set a date yet, or are you still thinking about it?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
farseer wrote:
There are too many people that get a full head of steam at the beginning and then lose it all by test date.

This is so true. That's why it's better for people to study intensely for no more than 3 months and then take the test, rather than drawing it out for months.

farseer wrote:
I've realized from other post a month ago that you're thinking about retaking the gmat? Have you set a date yet, or are you still thinking about it?

Still contemplating. I have a decent enough score that might kill my desire to re-test. But even if I did, it's based on a couple of facts:

1) I thought the actual test was a whole lot easier than I expected and I underperformed.
2) After bschool apps, I'd have plenty of time to kill, and pretty much nothing to lose (except being red faced if I score lower)
3) For employment/resume purposes -- apparently, it will be brought up.
4) Personal satisfaction -- if you score in the 99th%, no one can say they did better than you. An 800 cannot gloat straight-faced to a 760.

Great score, farseer. Even more important (at least for us), great debrief and tips!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
Still contemplating. I have a decent enough score that might kill my desire to re-test. But even if I did, it's based on a couple of facts:

1) I thought the actual test was a whole lot easier than I expected and I underperformed.
2) After bschool apps, I'd have plenty of time to kill, and pretty much nothing to lose (except being red faced if I score lower)
3) For employment/resume purposes -- apparently, it will be brought up.
4) Personal satisfaction -- if you score in the 99th%, no one can say they did better than you. An 800 cannot gloat straight-faced to a 760.

Great score, farseer. Even more important (at least for us), great debrief and tips!

Looks like you are on the exact same boat I was on. Our reasons are pretty much identical. Therefore, I wish you not good, but great, luck if you do decide to give it another shot. I have no doubt that you can get 780 or 790 by the things you have posted and by your previous score. I look forward to hearing from you again. By the way, please send me a pm when you get your new score because I will no longer be checking this site as often by then. Talk to you later!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations [#permalink]
Heartiest congratulations on the brilliant score. Hope you get admission in your dream school. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I have my GMAT on 14 Mar, and will definitely go by your good advice.

Thanks again and Congratulations

Regards and Best Wishes

Harpreet
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What I like best about this story is that the first score was already excellent, yet farseer was confident enough in his own abilities to try again and attempt to get into the 99th% range.

Very nice job! Keep me/us updated on your application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710 [#permalink]
farseer wrote:
Those are simply get the right study materials- OG11, Green, Purple, GMATPrep, Manhattan SC, some extra math practice (either Gmatclub challenges or Manhattan CATs will do; however, they are harder than the actual GMAT, and in the case of Manhattan math problems, much much harder

What are Green and Purple materials? Are these very good? For which sections?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710 [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts