Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Are you serious? Think about the fact that you're about to dish out a ton of money for a product that you don't know a lot about. For instance, if you're buying a car, maybe it's nice to look at the Chevrolet website and see what the company says about the car, but don't you want to talk to the people who actually drive the car and get an objective perspective?

If you're only reading the websites, then you're basically just reading the carefully crafted marketing materials. It's been my experience that students have no problem leveling and telling you straight up what they like and dislike.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Are you serious? Think about the fact that you're about to dish out a ton of money for a product that you don't know a lot about. For instance, if you're buying a car, maybe it's nice to look at the Chevrolet website and see what the company says about the car, but don't you want to talk to the people who actually drive the car and get an objective perspective?

If you're only reading the websites, then you're basically just reading the carefully crafted marketing materials. It's been my experience that students have no problem leveling and telling you straight up what they like and dislike.

You have a point, but I'm not talking about contacting a regular student. I'm talking about contacting a student ambassador. I think that these people are made ambassadors for a reason. The school isn't going to give you the contact information of a student that is going to disparage the school, am I right?

Originally posted by justin520 on 11 Mar 2007, 17:29.
Last edited by justin520 on 11 Mar 2007, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not sure how they go about picking these people. I imagine they select people that are personable, and at least respectable if not exceptional students.

The students I spoke with gave me some great insights, and lots of random anecdotes that I was able to use in interviews. Your interest in a school seems much more sincere if you can manage to weave these sorts of things into an interview. For instance:

INTERVIEWER: Why are you interested in our school specifically?
YOU: Well, I'm interested in advertising and I know Kellog has the preeminent blah blah blah...and also for reasons X, Y, and Z, and the students I spoke with were all very enthusiastic about the travel program, in fact one of them told me that when they were travelling to England they met Richard Branson face-to-face, which is unbelievable, but I know that these are the sorts of amazing opportunities I could look forward to at a great school like Kellogg...

Dropping an anecdote like that will (1) Show that you took the time to reach out to students (2) Show that you are personable (3) Will make you a more memorable interview because you're talking about something interesting instead of saying, "I have great quant skills, your school will help me make them even better, I love numbers, I'm a robot" (4) It will show that you have "awareness" or "maturity," you're able to recognize that b-school is more than just classes and placement statistics, you will come across as someone who is genuinely excited about the b-school experience.

Your initial questions with an ambassador might not yield much, but if you follow up with them and probe to get some interesting stories/insights.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
justin520 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of going that direction, but then I thought, "why bother?" Have you ever heard someone say, "Man, my MBA program really sucks,"? Of course if you ask someone about their opinion of their school, they are going to give a glowing review, probably along the lines of, "Well, I really liked professor X's class because he used real world examples and could relate things to us in an understandable way..blah...blah.." or something like that. How is this going to help you in the interview process or give you insight into the school that you can't glean from the website that includes student testimonials? On a detailed webiste, there are usually a few quotes from students conerning just about every aspect of the school, from clubs to activities to specific professors and programs. I suppose the value would come from the fact that you contacted a real person rather than rely completely on the website's information. I think I will go the route you suggested. Thanks again.

Don't buy it all hook line and sinker. Some people drink the koolaid, some don't. Inevitably, someone who is a student ambassador is going to have drunk the koolaid.

The value,as already suggested, isnt so much in getting a truly honest perspective on the school - as you point out, who's going to say "this place sucks, i work too hard" - but the value in comes in being able to drop tidbits into your interviews and essays. Little anecdotal meaningless truths that show your research and desire to attend, in a way that I'd venture, 80 % of candidates cannot or do not.

For a true perspective on the schools value and whether or not it was worth it - ask alumni. Just call the school and ask for contact info for a local alumn, or just go search for the alumni pages and, more often than not, the local city president or whatever has public contact info. I did this for Darden and spoke to two people... one told me it was "Worse than IB" and another told me "Don't go, its too harsh." No student ambassador would ever have said that - but those are not details I could use in my interviews.

Student ambassador type people = interview and essay fodder (it doesnt even matter what they talk about.)
Alumni = reality check

IF all else fails, this is fun:
https://www.kongregate.com/games/FreeWor ... tricman2hs
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've heard a lot of people say that Darden is really gruelling. Wonder why that is. Has anybody heard anything positive about that school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mmm, koolaid
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I've heard a lot of people say that Darden is really gruelling. Wonder why that is. Has anybody heard anything positive about that school?

Uhm, Dave Barry lives in that town I think.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

Uhm, Dave Barry lives in that town I think.

There's a really cool sustainable farm nearby, and it sells a lot of its produce to local restaurants. The farm was discussed at length in Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma," a totally cool book.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
So awesome produce and someone who's famous for being kind of funny. Awesome, sign me up for Darden.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]