Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: Judging from the tenor of the following statements and the [#permalink]
Hmmm.

I say D.

"D) FRENCH WINE EXPERT: The best buy in wines in America today is the California chablis, which is comparable to the French chablis and is available at half the cost "

Why would a French Wine Expert praise its competition? If the Californian chablis is comparable to the French wine and available at half the cost, then a rational buyer would choose it over the French wine.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I forgot to include reasons why the rest of the answer choices are wrong.

A) FILM CRITIC: A film critic may not be the best judge of music. Why not a Classical music critic?

B) SPOKESPERSON FOR A MANUFACTURER: Verdict may be reasonable. A Spokesperson for a manufacturing company may be biased.

C) SENIOR CABINET OFFICER: Number may be inflated.

E) UNION LEADER: May still continue strike even if management meets thier needs.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
I will go with D

I was trying to choose between D and E.

I believe there is nothing called as American Wine. French wine expert can definitely compare the two wines. In case of E the union leader cannot be trusted because there is some self interest on his part that can play a role here. For example he might take some bribe from the management and come to a compromise and also convince the fellow workers ( well this happens in India all the time )
The French wine expert has nothing to gain here. I wont be surprised if I am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Send PM
Paul: This is the first time many of us are seeing this kind questions. Did you
improvise this question or got from some where? Is it GAMT or LSAT
question?

Quote:
A) FILM CRITIC: Beethoven is really very much overrated as a composer. His music is not really that good; it's just very well known.

This is same as saying Kpadma is no good in math and this fact is
well known rather than saying Kpadma is no good because he can't even
add 2 and 2. The critic has not provided any evidence to support his
claim.

Quote:
B) SPOKESPERSON FOR A MANUFACTURER: The jury's verdict against us for $2 million is ridiculous, and we are sure that the Appeals Court will agree with us

Well, All company spokespersons say the samething. The law suit is
baseless and the verdict is ridiculous. They are payed to say that the
company is good and its actions are good. Take their comments with
a grain of solt.

Quote:

C) SENIOR CABINET OFFICER: Our administration plans to cut inefficiency, and we have already begun to discuss plans which we calculate will save the federal government nearly $50 billion a year in waste

Beaurcreats job is to talk about some wothless plans and how it is going
to save money or help the public. How many plans of goverment
became reality?

Quote:
D) FRENCH WINE EXPERT: The best buy in wines in America today is the California chablis, which is comparable to the French chablis and is available at half the cost

He may be a expert in French wine. But he may not be French or for that
matter no way connected to French wine industry. He may be a
French wine expert hired by California wine cartel to boost their
sales. Looks suspecious!

Quote:
E) UNION LEADER: We plan to stay out on strike until management meets each and every one of the demands we have submitted

We *PLAN* to stay out on strike. Well, Union Leaders also bluff most of the time, the word *PLAN* qualifies their statement.

Out of all the above, E looks better!
Director
Director
Send PM
I believe if I and ndidi04 conduct GMAT test for each other we will score 800 cause most of our answers match. That is good to know. If I am smart then I have a partner and if I am stupid then also I have a partner. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You're funny anandnk. :-D
CEO
CEO
Send PM
ndidi204 wrote:
Why would a French Wine Expert praise its competition?

anandnk wrote:
In case of E the union leader cannot be trusted because there is some self interest on his part that can play a role here

OA is D. Nice discussion all Kpadma, Ndidi204 and Anandnk. Ndidi204, you gave the right reason to accept D and Anandnk you perfectly refuted E. Yes, this is a GMAT question. I agree it does have a totally different feel than other questions I've seen so far. Although different, I believe it does help the CR process :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Paul wrote:
Judging from the tenor of the following statements and the apparent authoritativeness of their sources, which is the most reasonable and trustworthy?
A) FILM CRITIC: Beethoven is really very much overrated as a composer. His music is not really that good; it's just very well known.
B) SPOKESPERSON FOR A MANUFACTURER: The jury's verdict against us for $2 million is ridiculous, and we are sure that the Appeals Court will agree with us
C) SENIOR CABINET OFFICER: Our administration plans to cut inefficiency, and we have already begun to discuss plans which we calculate will save the federal government nearly $50 billion a year in waste
D) FRENCH WINE EXPERT: The best buy in wines in America today is the California chablis, which is comparable to the French chablis and is available at half the cost
E) UNION LEADER: We plan to stay out on strike until management meets each and every one of the demands we have submitted

Thought I'd add my two cents here too.

A) Critic/Beethoven?? OUT THE DOOR

B) Spokesperson: may be bias, but most importantly, KEY WORD is REASONABLE. Supreme court will agree?? NO

C) Could be an option IMO, however, 50B is not reasonable. And even if it was, trustworthy is tough on this one. :)

D) French Wine expert, hmmm. Praising California Wine and so on, could be reasonable, trustworthy also possible. Hmm, the only assumption is FRENCH wine experts are-THE Experts? What if they are not? Bring common knowledge to GMAT?

E) Also possible, however, "each and ever demand" is far fetched, not likely, therefore can't be fully trusted, and besides, its not definitevely reasonable.

So, Looks like the French will take it. D is the answer for me. Although, I dont really like the idea. It is simply the best of the worst!
Director
Director
Send PM
I and ndidi04 have all the reasons to celebrate.

:lol: :-D :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Oops, I guess I was posting my answer at the same time as Paul. Well, at least I was right! hehe
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Nice one lvb9th :beer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
Damn...!...you guys seem to have all the time in the world to engage in such healthy conversations...

Anyway ...a different kinda CR...chose D....and thankfully thats the OA.

Vivek.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts