Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, GREAT SCORE!!!
Congrats.
Good luck with your apps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Took the GMAT today! [#permalink]
Congratulations!!! That's a great score.

You mention

"Verbal:
SCs: The megabank of SCs that was posted by bigB was a blessing in disguise. I strongly recommend that each of you thouroughly understand each and every problem in that document. "

Can someone please direct me to that link.

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
execmba wrote:
Congratulations!!! That's a great score.

You mention

"Verbal:
SCs: The megabank of SCs that was posted by bigB was a blessing in disguise. I strongly recommend that each of you thouroughly understand each and every problem in that document. "

Can someone please direct me to that link.

Thanks

see the verbal lessons forum
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey gautam,

great score .. congrats!!
good post too

-trishul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
praetorian123 wrote:
execmba wrote:

"see the verbal lessons forum
"

Hmm...I had checked verbal and not found 'q' bank unless it is the link to GMAT PLUS SC questions?

Is it the GMAT PLUS download at https://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/gmatplus/gmat.html

Thnx
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
super

thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Gautam.. after reading ur post it seems as if u really made the exam easy for urself. Can i know the books and material u used for ur preparation and also ur general strategy? Also, did u use any grammar book or reference material apart from startegies and idioms lists given in kaplan/princeton etc
What is ur backround in terms of education, nationality and work expereince.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That was great Gautam...many congrats...!

As crackgmat750 asked can we know the books that you referred,strategies that you developed and other insights you have about the exam.

Vivek.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear Gautam
Really a very good score to get into some good school!! All teh best fro ur apps as well. Keep us informed..
And the link offered by BB is working..I have also got a copy of the document.
This club is really contributing meaningfully to GMAT aspirants! Though I am a GRE aspirant for a PhD in finance, but find that discussion here are quite relevant.
I would also like to share watever I get.!! Next time!

Cheers!!
Anu Anand
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
anuanand wrote:
Dear Gautam
Really a very good score to get into some good school!! All teh best fro ur apps as well. Keep us informed..
And the link offered by BB is working..I have also got a copy of the document.
This club is really contributing meaningfully to GMAT aspirants! Though I am a GRE aspirant for a PhD in finance, but find that discussion here are quite relevant.
I would also like to share watever I get.!! Next time!

Cheers!!
Anu Anand

hi anu,

Welcome to gmatclub. Thanks for the kind words

We would be very interested in knowing about what your plans are. Phd Finance is extremely competitive. What materials are you using for the verbal component of the GRE? what about quant?

let us know
regards
praetorian
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
You guys are an enthusiastic bunch. I don't think I'd have the patience to read through all I wrote...that too without knowing the score :)

Thank you for all your comments and wishes.

Background:
Master's in Computer Engineering from NCSU, as my Avatar indicates.
Working for Telecom Major for 2 years now.....and ready to shif gears.
Nationality: Jis desh mein Ganga behti hai, hum us desh ke vasi hai. ( India, for the uninitiated :))

Study Strategy:
Nothing different from that of any of you guys. Math I used Kaplan and PR for strategies and OG( a.k.a Bible, Gita, khuran, granth, etc etc...). For Verbal, I used Kaplan material that they provide for free when you buy their book with CD. If someone needs it, Id' be glad to send it to them. Just send me an e-mail at gpsukumarATyahoo.com. However, the best resource for verbal, for me atleast, was the Commnet website at https://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/index.htm

This site has all the information on grammar you will ever need, and then some. Also, the site has loads of execrcises to get you all warmed up, to attack the OG.

Other than that, the key is to remain calm in the examination. Don't expect to go into the hall and find yourself sitting in a quite secluded room, with no one around. The atmosphere/ setup is just like any cyber cafe in India: A row of computers with separators. Unluckily for me, I was seated right next to the door. People were constantly walking in and out, banging the door and cursing their scores :-) So, please be strong mentally, and learn to ignore. Best strategy, work under pressure. Work on GMAT in your living room with the TV on or with your family yaking away around you. This will improve your concentration, and the confusion around is a close approximation to what you can expect on the GMAT.

Well, I hope I answered your questions. If you have more, just shoot me a mail, or reply to this post, and I'd be glad to help.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That Webster link of yours is great! Do you mind putting it in the verbal lessons section? It will help many people in their endeavors. Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
hi anu,

We would be very interested in knowing about what your plans are. Phd Finance is extremely competitive. What materials are you using for the verbal component of the GRE? what about quant?

let us know
regards
praetorian

Hi Friend!
I am from India and presently working after my Masters in Finance and Control in 2003. I want to pusue a Phd from a good unviersity. with good academics, I am preparing for GRE.
At present I am working on vocabulary and will begin maths in full flow. then sm CATs.
As for vocab, i have got good word lists and "Dictionary of difficult word" by Hutchinson -( for those esoteric words)- .
learning idioms, and ARCOs "Words for smart test takers" - a good starter.
However, I like the book " All about words" by nurnberg and rosenblum - since my college days- bit dificult but a good collection of words.

Please let me know which books to follow for MAths.
Another thing- I have not studied mathematics in my Graduation and thus might face a difficulty to demonstrate my mathematical skills requied for a PhD. Please guide me how can I either make up for that or convince the admisions boards! Is taking maths subject test will be sufficient?
I understand that the forum is for GMAT and my queries may be a bit out of place but I joined the forum since contents of the two exams are quite similar and learnign from others' experiences has always been helpful to me.

Regards
Anu Anand
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
anuanand wrote:
Quote:
hi anu,

let us know
regards
praetorian

Hi Friend!
I am from India and presently working after my Masters in Finance and Control in 2003. I want to pusue a Phd from a good unviersity. with good academics, I am preparing for GRE.
At present I am working on vocabulary and will begin maths in full flow. then sm CATs.
As for vocab, i have got good word lists and "Dictionary of difficult word" by Hutchinson -( for those esoteric words)- .
learning idioms, and ARCOs "Words for smart test takers" - a good starter.
However, I like the book " All about words" by nurnberg and rosenblum - since my college days- bit dificult but a good collection of words.

Please let me know which books to follow for MAths.
Another thing- I have not studied mathematics in my Graduation and thus might face a difficulty to demonstrate my mathematical skills requied for a PhD. Please guide me how can I either make up for that or convince the admisions boards! Is taking maths subject test will be sufficient?
I understand that the forum is for GMAT and my queries may be a bit out of place but I joined the forum since contents of the two exams are quite similar and learnign from others' experiences has always been helpful to me.

Regards
Anu Anand

Hi Anu

Your questions are welcome.

-- It always better to contact your school of interest if you have specific questions. :) Its better to get first hand advice. if you have other questions like which school is better for what research area, you might want to pose these questions on the Business Week Forums. There is a seperate thread- Phd in Strategy 4th year..something like that... There is a lot of useful discussion on Ph.D in finance.

-- You mean, you did not take any math courses in your Undergraduation.
That can be a 'slight' disadvantage. A Ph.D in Finance is really heavy on quant and you would be expected to have taken courses in real analysis etc. Its good that you have a masters in finance. Did your master's course include a lot of math based coursework? This question should be directly addressed to the B-School you want to go to. you might get a diplomatic answer from them , but atleast you will have a good idea whether to apply to that school or not.

-- Have you checked how many universities specifically ask for the GRE? I know Chicago finance needs GRE, but otherwise, i think with most programs, the GMAT is recommended. Do you know what schools you want to apply? Make sure you check the requirements.

-- Subject Test in MATH
Again this is something that you have to ask the department that you are applying. if many departments say that Subject GRE would be helpful, only then take it.

-- When i took the GRE, i really did not use any book for MATH. I relied on practice with PowerPrep, Kaplan and the Big Book. But I am sure the GRE content has changed. I see that now , the GRE includes statistics and probability. I took the GRE in 2000. You might want to consider participating in our math forums. You can attempt the CR in our forums too. I have a feeling that the RC in GRE is simpler, so i guess you should be fine with a bit of practice in the BIG BOOK.

-- For the word list, I found the IMS [the coaching institute in india] word list to be excellent. It has many words that are not there in Barrons. I had also used the Websters CD-ROM. It was also useful. I used to ask my sister to ask me 100 words at a time from the IMS word list. that practice really helped.

-- Just to give you an idea of the competition, Maryland recieved 250 applications in Finance PhD for just 4 positions. Maryland is not even a top 10 school. As you go up the rankings, the situation is crazy. A IIT + IIM guy didnt get into Ph.D finance at Wharton. So, do your research and study hard for your GRE or GMAT, whatever the case may be.

-- If your interest is in academia after Ph.D, you must make every effort to make it to a top 20-25 school. if you complete your Ph.D from a lower ranked school, it will be harder for you to get a position in a good school.
you might get a job in industry, if thats what your goal is.

Hope this helps

Regards
Praetorian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gautamps, My heartily congrats to you pal.
It is really good score. :good

Party time, correct ? :band

BOL for you app process

Dharmin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks gautam for ur answers.
Somebody wrote about this grammar link earlier also. I was wondering if u can tell me which section of that link one should focus. I mean there are six sections there..
which one is important.. I guess it's word and sentence level.. right?
One thing more.. I can understand that one gets more grasp on grammar after going through these reference materials.. but one thing which always intrigues me is how u guys integerate the knowledge in sc questions. I mean when u attempt a question, unless an error is obvious grammar mistake it's fine.. but generally how does a obscure grammar rule can flash in mind during that stressful testing environment where u are running against time. I hope u got my point
gautamps wrote:
You guys are an enthusiastic bunch. I don't think I'd have the patience to read through all I wrote...that too without knowing the score :)

Thank you for all your comments and wishes.

Background:
Master's in Computer Engineering from NCSU, as my Avatar indicates.
Working for Telecom Major for 2 years now.....and ready to shif gears.
Nationality: Jis desh mein Ganga behti hai, hum us desh ke vasi hai. ( India, for the uninitiated :))

Study Strategy:
Nothing different from that of any of you guys. Math I used Kaplan and PR for strategies and OG( a.k.a Bible, Gita, khuran, granth, etc etc...). For Verbal, I used Kaplan material that they provide for free when you buy their book with CD. If someone needs it, Id' be glad to send it to them. Just send me an e-mail at gpsukumarATyahoo.com. However, the best resource for verbal, for me atleast, was the Commnet website at https://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/index.htm

This site has all the information on grammar you will ever need, and then some. Also, the site has loads of execrcises to get you all warmed up, to attack the OG.

Other than that, the key is to remain calm in the examination. Don't expect to go into the hall and find yourself sitting in a quite secluded room, with no one around. The atmosphere/ setup is just like any cyber cafe in India: A row of computers with separators. Unluckily for me, I was seated right next to the door. People were constantly walking in and out, banging the door and cursing their scores :-) So, please be strong mentally, and learn to ignore. Best strategy, work under pressure. Work on GMAT in your living room with the TV on or with your family yaking away around you. This will improve your concentration, and the confusion around is a close approximation to what you can expect on the GMAT.

Well, I hope I answered your questions. If you have more, just shoot me a mail, or reply to this post, and I'd be glad to help.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts