Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes thanks for your insightful analysis. I'm facing the same dilemma here. I'll probably go for INSEAD as well. It's a good fit with my goal in MC and it's less costly than London. Above all, it's the #1 party school. ha, thats all I need to know.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
konig wrote:
dukes thanks for your insightful analysis. I'm facing the same dilemma here. I'll probably go for INSEAD as well. It's a good fit with my goal in MC and it's less costly than London. Above all, it's the #1 party school. ha, thats all I need to know.

INSEAD is not really a party school! Based on comments from my seniors who graduated from INSEAD the coursework is rather aggressive as it is a 1 Year program. INSEAD clearly states that though the program spans over a year the total number of hours spent on attending the classes is the same as that of a regular MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There's one more negative I'd add and it hit me earlier today.

I believe that INSEADers' relative isolation from a normal functioning society in a large city puts them in a bubble that distorts their view of the real world. From the little that I've heard, some of these guys eat that MBA talk right up and try to forcefully integrate it into their lexicon to try and sound smart.

Earlier today, I got an email from a friend of mine who's there right now after I had asked him how necessary it was to buy a car. His response was, and I quote "you should think about your NPV post-MBA rather than the immediate cost impact." I mean, who speaks like that???

I also have a feeling that, with time, all the partying tends to become more of an obligation rather than a nice-to-have as one would worry about missing an event and suddenly being excluded from certain cliques.

If I end up going there, I know that I'll have to force myself out of that bubble occasionally, and try to get in touch with the real world as often as I can. The fact that it's located in Europe and most big cities are within a rock's throw should help in that aspect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
INSEAD, man. INSEAD.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
An interesting detail about relative alumni endowments [#permalink]
I think there should be a ranking based on levels of alumni endowment. It seems to roughly reflect the "generally accepted" ratings of the world in terms of elite/ ultra elite schools.

https://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=vie ... =717945871

Will try to dig out the info about some other schools.

MG
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mikki,

That might work if you restrict the rankings to US. The alumni endowment and drive for endowment is particularly strong in the US but less prevalent in Europe and Asia. Things are changing slowly with both LBS and INSEAD getting deans from a business background and focusing, finally, on getting alumni involved in investing in/contributing to the school. But they have some way to catch up with US school in this respect.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Some more thoughts: [#permalink]
Ok so I've been thinking about this some more, and wanted to add a few pros that I see with LBS:

1. It is a flexible 15-21 month program, of which up to three months (12 weeks is a high paying internship - avg salary $3500 pm). Thus, if you go for the 15 month option, the difference between LBS and INSEAD in terms of earning potential is really 2 months (since INSEAD is a 10 month program)

2. If you dont have scholarship offers, you CAN actually work in London. Many LBS students are apparently doing this successfully, up to 8-10 hrs a week, usually on assignments with their prev employers. LBS career services actually helps you with these part time assignments in your area as well. INSEAD of course, will leave you no time or inclination for part time work.

3. LBS has the exchange program with other top schools around the globe, where you can get an intense global experience, take the trip to a location you want to be employed in, and take adv of career services of the schools you go to. Except for H/S/W, all the other top US schools are up for grabs. For Sep applicants, the Wharton exchange at INSEAD leaves a lot to be desired esp in terms of career svcs.

4. You get an internship - money and experience

5. Therefore, you get two rounds of interviews with companies of your choice

6. The shadow project at LBS is unique and can also give you a leg up in the recruitment process (choose a shadow you really want to work with later on)

Any thoughts?
MG
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bear in mind the strength of the British pound, $3500 doesn't buy you much in London. In reality you probably have the same buying power as a regular $1500-$2000 internship in the states. Everytime I seriously look at LBS, cost of living always comes to mind as a major problem.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
piper

I would assume that LBS students would do interships in London. Internships in London from LBS pay alright - the whole dollar thing is confusing the issue. Doing an internship in the US while going to LBS? That would be kind of crazy.

London is expensive - the same price as NYC (I should know, I am considering going there), similar to Boston - big city prices. The true difference comes in that the tuition is comparatively expensive - I really think that is the only place a US applicant would feel the cost relative to a City based programme.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
piper41955 wrote:
Bear in mind the strength of the British pound, $3500 doesn't buy you much in London. In reality you probably have the same buying power as a regular $1500-$2000 internship in the states. Everytime I seriously look at LBS, cost of living always comes to mind as a major problem.

Agreed, I had a job offer in London with a very reputable firm, but I have to let go of the offer because the living standard and expenses were so high!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Le roi est mort.... Vive le roi! [#permalink]
And the winner is.... INSEAD! Attended the Open Day at Fonty and was thoroughly enjoyable. So here we are. My primary reasons:

- the Quality of students
- the "bootcamp" atmosphere, very energizing
- Better food!!!!!

Anyone else struggling with this decision - do contact me!

MG
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mikki,

Great to know you'll be with us! Are you starting in Fonty? I heard the open day was great -- too bad I couldn't make it :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi mikki,

You have take the right decision! I didn't have to struggle, as I just applied to INSEAD. I attended the admitted day too, and it was very nice.

see you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think LBS has a better brand name than INSEAD has. I would choose LBS over INSEAD
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
abhishek.sardana wrote:
I think LBS has a better brand name than INSEAD has. I would choose LBS over INSEAD

I just think the the opposite. I am appling to both and would choose INSEAD without hesitation.

The students are better at INSEAD:
LBS GMAT average: 682
INSEAD GMAT average: 703

In addition, keep in mind that there are many more non-English native at INSEAD (GMAT is more difficult for non-natives).
Also, LBS is more IB oriented than INSEAD, which is more consulting/general management oriented). I would expect a finance BS to have students with higher GMATs, but they are in average over 20 points below INSEADs'...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lumone wrote:
I just think the the opposite. I am appling to both and would choose INSEAD without hesitation.

In addition, keep in mind that there are many more non-English native at INSEAD (GMAT is more difficult for non-natives).
Also, LBS is more IB oriented than INSEAD, which is more consulting/general management oriented). I would expect a finance BS to have students with higher GMATs, but they are in average over 20 points below INSEADs'...

I think you are giving too much value to GMAT averages. Do you know that the 80% range of GMAT scores at UCLA Anderson is higher than that of Chicago GSB and MIT Sloan?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
lumone wrote:

I think you are giving too much value to GMAT averages. Do you know that the 80% range of GMAT scores at UCLA Anderson is higher than that of Chicago GSB and MIT Sloan?

No, but if you can provide with the data (from official websites, rather than unofficial sources. Btw, the averages I provide are from official sources), I would like to take a look.

Gmat averages:
UCLA 700
MIT GMAT Average: 700
Chicago: 703

These are comparable GMAT averages, contrary to 682 vs. 703. All Ultra-Elite and some Elite programs average 700+, If LBS could build an MBA class averaging 700+ (and still keep diverse profiles), I am sure they would.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2