Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the advice guys.

Lepium you hit on some really good points. You are correct, the "freebie" masters was not something I was actively looking for, but having spoken with people who have this degree that are out in the workforce (mostly consultants), they say it gives them the ability to work with tech people because of their "fluency" in information systems, and they know they started w/ higher salaries than their peers. But I realize this is probably something that BU is doing to differentiate themselves as a business school and is kind of a bell and whistle type thing.

The personal cost you mentioned I think is significant for me. Moving to NY would really complicate my personal life.

I agree that a free ride could make a difference between schools in adjacent clusters, but in my mind BU and NYU are in adjacent clusters. I think Hjort's cluster system is great, but I think once you move out of the elite cluster, the distinction between clusters is mostly based on minor differences in selectivity and prestige, not as much on the doors that will be opened by those schools. For instance (I hope this doesn't p*ss anybody off here ) I don't think there's a huge difference between McCombs and Wake Forest. Or between UNC Kenan-Flagler and Wisconsin. Supposedly these schools are two clusters apart, but I think that if you're not living in the area of these schools, they don't make a huge difference. What job can you get with a degree from McCombs that you can't get with a degree from Wake Forest? If you leave the respective regions of these schools, are people really familiar with them such that they all belong in different clusterse?

So for me, once you get out of the elite cluster, the next three clusters are really all in roughly the same area. I'm sure someone going to Mendoza would totally disagree, but if you look at placement numbers and average salaries for all these less than elite schools, the differences aren't anywhere near as dramatic as the drop-off from ultra-elites to elites on down.

I was actually just discussing all of this stuff with a colleague, and she is going to put me in touch with the principal of a boutique healthcare consulting firm, someone who randomly enough, chose Boston University over Stern years and years ago. I'm going to talk to him on Monday morning, I'll be curious to hear why he made that decision.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
So for me, once you get out of the elite cluster, the next three clusters are really all in roughly the same area. I'm sure someone going to Mendoza would totally disagree, but if you look at placement numbers and average salaries for all these less than elite schools, the differences aren't anywhere near as dramatic as the drop-off from ultra-elites to elites on down.

Cluster analysis:
I must admit I have not researched too much on schools beyond Elites (as I did not apply there). So you may have a valid point. I did, however, research McCombs and UNC a bit and I think they have an edge over Wake Forest and Wisconsin at least for the majority of industries / functions. I will agree that beyond the TransElite Cluster there's probably significant overlap, though.

So let's say:

NYU: Cluster 2
BU: Cluster 4

BU freebie: +1 Cluster
BU in Boston:+1 Cluster

So we have a tie here. You are now choosing between 2 equally clustered schools. Good luck!

A note on risk mitigation:

I have always thought that an MBA is about risk mitigation. If you are great, you don't need a brand name MBA, or you may not need one at all. If you have what it takes, just pick up some books, learn from experience, use your street smarts and you should do just fine.

On the other hand, if you are average, you will need all the "brand push" you can get. Only you will know what to make of this. I think your upcoming meeting will assist you with this process.

Another option?

Additionally, I think there's a third chance you might be overlooking: since you are already in the field (healthcare), and companies are recruiting heavily for people with experience in the industry, wouldn't you be able to go PT and achieve similar results? Or, most importantly, couldn't you just start throwing around some resumes and get a nice position? I don't know if BU has a PT option, or which other PT options you have in the area, but I would not overlook this possibility. Heck, you may even try and get into NYU's PT program! And get your employer to finance it!

Hope it helps. L.

PS: I was about to write a 4th option: the rockman-is-a-troll option but I realized even when some people would get the joke, others might have been offended. So I did not. But you can figure it out if you know rockman.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lepium,

Thanks for the analysis! I was probably overstating the case with comparing some of those schools and saying they're essentially the same.

You are right, the part-time option would be the smartest decision, but I have to admit, I'm really craving a two-year break from the office-life, and would not be interested in the balancing act of school and work where you feel like you're half-@ssing both of them. That is just me, I think for other people it is a great option.

The "risk mitigation" that you bring up is what is really pushing me toward Stern. I'll have to chew on all of this stuff over the weekend, thanks again for the input!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I totally feel you Johnny. I knew right after walking out of the UW interview that my chances were pretty strong, which is why I only visited BYU and Indiana afterwards. Never even applied to the other schools because UW turned out to be an ideal fit. But, of course, these schools all fall in relatively the same tier II cluster.

Ask BU for another extention based on your circumstances and they will most likely grant it. Mention that you still have several applications outstanding and that you just aren't in a position to make a final decision yet. They won't revoke your scholarship offer.

In the meantime see what NYU offers you. You mention that you feel your chances are solid, so perhaps they may also put up a partial merit/need based scholarship to offset some of your NY living expenses. If, on the other hand, you get nothing, then carefully reconsider your options and all costs involved.

One question, did you apply for the Langhorne PT or FT program? If PT, does the school offer a PT to FT transfer option?

Considering that you are still relatively young (under 30), possess a solid GMAT score and have expressed an interest in law, I may also suggest a third option: The three year Kellogg Joint MBA/JD. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/jdmba/

If you do decide to sit out another year, consider snipering this program to the extreme. I've posted it before, so you can run a search in the archives to read Pelihu and Rustmonster's comments.

Heading off to Gold's now to do a little barbell therapy followed by an hour of bag work... Talk to you later J.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Johnny,

I don't usually post but just wanted to share my opinions.

I, too, have an admit for BU-HSM program. I was dinged at an elite (I thought i was really competitive at this one) and waitlisted at another ultra-elite school. All of which have HSM programs.

My profile's ok...only that it's probably overrepresented and not to mention that I applied pretty late in the admission cycle. That being said, I often wondered if I should just wait out another year, strengthen certain portions of my app and reapply next year. At this point in time, i am still unsure but I doubt I will be doing that. Like you, I am trying to figure out what's the best for myself and this post is more of me thinking out loud.

I guess it really depends on what you wanna do post-mba. For me, whoever recruits at the school is of little importance to me since I am not keen to be another salaried worker upon graduation. What interest me are the presence of a tech transfer office, presence of med/biomed sch and elements of tech being incorporated into the curriculum. The location would be important too since I am particularly interest in boutique firms, smaller bio-start ups and learn the workings of these companies.

In addition, I am looking to learn from like-minded classmates, from various facets of the healthcare ind, who would help in my networking and stregthen my knowledge of the ind. Sure, the admitted students of BU-HSM aren't those who had handled 100million in private equity or some top IB but definitely, so far, the backgrounds of the classmates pretty much intrigued me.

So, the question of the brand name comes in. Currently, I work for a F500 med dev company, top in its sector. I searched through the Senior mgmt team of about 10 and found that no single b-sch dominates. There's kellogs, wake forest, thunderbird etc. Hence, I don't think it really matters. Of course, one would argue that a stronger brand name would open more doors yada yada yada... but that does not exactly worry me. BU is a pretty huge school and the alumni network extends beyond those from the GSM. It also helps that its popular among international students and thus there is a huge number of members out of the US.

I am not obessed with rankings. A higher ranked school would be great but I would not go crazy and defend for the sch should its ranking falls. The numbers are too arbitrary to be taken seriously. There are also many great schools around the world, which have never ever been discussed in forums here.

Poiint is, consider each school based on its own merits and perhaps, ask yourself why you had applied for BU in the first place. If you cannot find a good reason, then don't attend BU. Go with NYU.
Whatever the final choice is, good luck and all the best!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yogil80 - Sounds like you're thinking about a lot of the same stuff as me.

I've really been trying hard to justify going to Stern over BU, but crazy as it sounds, it just doesn't make sense to me. As you said, senior leadership in healthcare companies seem to have degrees from all over the place.

Also, I'm interested in healthcare consulting or possibly just non-specialized consulting, and Stern doesn't have very strong placement in consulting. It's really all about finance at Stern, while BU does fine with placing people at firms like Deloitte, CapGemini. The Bains and BCG's would be unavailable to me even at Stern.

Good luck with your decision as well!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]