Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Will you be driving? and what?

44% [31]
11% [8]
4% [3]
5% [4]
2% [2]
30% [21]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
I am gonna keep my silver 2006 325 ci...!! I am kinda too possesive to give that up..!

I will prolly use my bike (Cannondale mtn bike) though to commute and keep the car for long dist etc.

Beauty.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
We have an '05 Tahoe that my wife will use for her work/shopping etc. I'll probably either cycle to school or take the bus, depending on where we live. Parking at UW for one student is not only discouraged, it's outrageously expensive.

UW is probably like UCLA. I remember at UCLA, it was extremely difficult to even get a parking permit around campus. There was a lottery, and if you were lucky enough to get a spot, it wasn't necessarily near where you wanted to park, and the cost was several hundred dollars a month. I don't know if it is the same for grad students - Anderson students may have some preference for the lot nearby but it will be expensive in any case. The thing about Westwood is that meter-maids run non-stop. You will absolutely get a ticket if you are 20 minutes over the time. Even if you have a parking permit, you'll probably be hit with several tickets a month because you'll need to go places not near your assigned lot.

Ann Arbor was a lot better. There was metered parking which was pretty cheap (compared with UCLA), and if you went over the time you wouldn't necessarily get a ticket right away. Also, if you paid your ticket right away (within 3 days or something), it was only $5 - compare that with $35 per ticket around UCLA. I laughed at my friends in Ann Arbor when they complained about parking.

Berkeley is just as bad as Westwood, and of course NY is probably even worse, but the public transportation in NY is good enough that I wouldn't take a car.

At Darden, they warn that parking can be expensive, $53 per month for a lot that is connected to the school. I had to bust out in a smile when I saw this. Just about everyone will rack up 3x that amount just in parking tickets each month in Westwood (and probably Berkeley too). They also have parking about 10 minutes away from the school for $13 per month - with a shuttle that will drop you off at the school. Now that is downright cheap.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
We have an '05 Tahoe that my wife will use for her work/shopping etc. I'll probably either cycle to school or take the bus, depending on where we live. Parking at UW for one student is not only discouraged, it's outrageously expensive.

UW is probably like UCLA. I remember at UCLA, it was extremely difficult to even get a parking permit around campus. There was a lottery, and if you were lucky enough to get a spot, it wasn't necessarily near where you wanted to park, and the cost was several hundred dollars a month. I don't know if it is the same for grad students - Anderson students may have some preference for the lot nearby but it will be expensive in any case. The thing about Westwood is that meter-maids run non-stop. You will absolutely get a ticket if you are 20 minutes over the time. Even if you have a parking permit, you'll probably be hit with several tickets a month because you'll need to go places not near your assigned lot.

Ann Arbor was a lot better. There was metered parking which was pretty cheap (compared with UCLA), and if you went over the time you wouldn't necessarily get a ticket right away. Also, if you paid your ticket right away (within 3 days or something), it was only $5 - compare that with $35 per ticket around UCLA. I laughed at my friends in Ann Arbor when they complained about parking.

Berkeley is just as bad as Westwood, and of course NY is probably even worse, but the public transportation in NY is good enough that I wouldn't take a car.

At Darden, they warn that parking can be expensive, $53 per month for a lot that is connected to the school. I had to bust out in a smile when I saw this. Just about everyone will rack up 3x that amount just in parking tickets each month in Westwood (and probably Berkeley too). They also have parking about 10 minutes away from the school for $13 per month - with a shuttle that will drop you off at the school. Now that is downright cheap.

Funny that you mentioned parking tickets because I received three, and one courtesy notice, while I was visiting for five days last month. Three in five days! One for mistiming the meter, another for partially parking in a yellow zone (I was unloading my bags the first day), and the last one was for trying to sneak in an overnighter in a permit required lot. I swear the weasel must have tagged me between 10pm and 6am!

UW just doesn't have the space to accomodate one vehicle per student. We are on a peninsula surrounded by water, I-5 to the west, and one residential area to the north. The annual fee is now over $1000 p/car; probably about what the average student can expect to spend on books.

By the way, I'm heading back next month for the admit ceremony (on their dime) and refuse to rent a car this time.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
The 2008 V-8 Lexus IS-F sure does have a nice arse :wink:
Attachments

g_7.jpg
g_7.jpg [ 57.55 KiB | Viewed 1946 times ]

CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
I am gonna keep my silver 2006 325 ci...!! I am kinda too possesive to give that up..!

I will prolly use my bike (Cannondale mtn bike) though to commute and keep the car for long dist etc.

You took that pick near Laurelhurst, right? Facing out towards Medina and Mercer Island.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Things have definitely changed from about a month ago when I was considering giving up my cars for something disposable. I've decided on Darden and picked out an apartment with covered parking; Darden also has a large covered parking garage attached to the school; and Virginia gets some snow but considerably less than many other destinations. Also, my costs have gone way way down, so I've decided to get rid of my truck and keep my Porsche.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

You took that pick near Laurelhurst, right? Facing out towards Medina and Mercer Island.

Nope this is in Columbia Gorge - Oregon side of the gorge.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

Nope this is in Columbia Gorge - Oregon side of the gorge.

I should have noticed that. Too many white caps to be anywhere near the 520 floating bridge. Not to mention all the undeveloped land. Seems like a nice place.

Can't beat the sales tax in the region, eh? Do you guys have a Ranch 99 food store in Portland?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Things have definitely changed from about a month ago when I was considering giving up my cars for something disposable. I've decided on Darden and picked out an apartment with covered parking; Darden also has a large covered parking garage attached to the school; and Virginia gets some snow but considerably less than many other destinations. Also, my costs have gone way way down, so I've decided to get rid of my truck and keep my Porsche.

How do you plan on hauling around two medium-large size dogs with such a small car?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will probably end up selling my car and then take that money to lease a cheaper car for 24 or 30 months. Since most likely I wouldn't be putting many miles on the car and wont want to keep a cheap car once I am back making a decent wage again leasing is just the easier option. Besides if you time it right you can get crazy deals on leases when the car makers are offering lots of incentives for them. The money I get out of my car should be able to be budgeted out to cover the cost for the entire lease. Depending where I go I would probably just lease a base model Subaru outback wagon with no options really.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
I should have noticed that. Too many white caps to be anywhere near the 520 floating bridge. Not to mention all the undeveloped land. Seems like a nice place.

Can't beat the sales tax in the region, eh? Do you guys have a Ranch 99 food store in Portland?

Oh yeah, it is a beautiful place... The Gorge is probably one of the best place to kite board or surf in the US.

Yeah Portland (I should say Oregon) does not have sale tax. Pretty neat deal.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
pelihu wrote:

How do you plan on hauling around two medium-large size dogs with such a small car?

Well, I'm not taking them with me for the first year. I think I'll just be too busy with classes, attending presentations, interviewing and traveling out of town. I refuse to kennel them, so they are staying with my parents. I hope to have a clear idea of my post-MBA plans by next summer and will make a decision at that time.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Well, I'm not taking them with me for the first year. I think I'll just be too busy with classes, attending presentations, interviewing and traveling out of town. I refuse to kennel them, so they are staying with my parents. I hope to have a clear idea of my post-MBA plans by next summer and will make a decision at that time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're most likely required to reregister both dogs with the local city council whenever you cross state lines. A friend of mine forgot to register his basset hound and was slapped with $200 fine (plus dog pound fees) when animal control roped the poor creature a mere ten feet from his front yard.

Originally posted by GMATT73 on 23 Apr 2007, 06:39.
Last edited by GMATT73 on 24 Apr 2007, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
my wheels :-D

CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
BMW 325xi

Staying with me.

Not sure if it's a 3 series, but sure handles well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzb89dyy ... ed&search=
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
2001 BMW 330i - all paid off - definitely coming with me
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
what's with G'clubbers and 3 series beemers? Did you guys get like a group discount or sth? :lol:

L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3