Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
A guy was talking to me about going to Stern. His take was "you get five courses first semester... each course gives about 25 hours a week work... then you have all the other stuff. Basically, you have to decide immediately which one course you aren't going to do so well in".

His take amused me, but I can see where he's coming from.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's probably good advice, just sort of evaluating how tough classes are going to be and going for the low-hanging fruit.

Maybe I'll decide to do poorly in all my classes, that will help free up time for extra partying, I mean networking!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
you're talking about a scale of diminishing returns. I believe you are right, you might need to double your effort to go from 3.9 to 4.0. I think the key thing is to simply put in a good amount of effort but not kill yourself. But also realize, that if you enjoy the material, you will probably wont mind studying for it as much. [/code]
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dimishing returns, that's the phrase I was looking for earlier. I agree, I think the material will be very interesting. Hopefully the group-work aspect will make it that much more engaging.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From talking to current students, it seems like the networking aspect of b-school should take precedence over getting excellent marks in your classes. I presume we are all going back to school to obtain a better or more fulfilling job, and getting that job takes a lot of networking. A 4.0 is great, but at the end of the day it's not going to get you a job if you don't get out and talk to people.

That said, crap grades will certainly hurt you, so you don't want to fall below the "passable" range (i'm guessing around 3.25-3.5?) and into the "poor" range.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with most of the comments here and personally intent to follow a 80/20 approach when studying in b-school, but it is a fact that certain employers do place significant value in high GPAs or academic distinction during b-school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
3.25 is on the cusp of a poor GPA?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I think he means "poor" in the sense that once you get below that, your GPA will be much lower than the GPA of the people you're competing against for jobs. From what I've heard grade inflation and grading curves result in lots of good GPA's at most business schools, so if you have a 3.2, odds are most of your classmates have a better GPA, and you'll all be interviewing for the same jobs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Well I think he means "poor" in the sense that once you get below that, your GPA will be much lower than the GPA of the people you're competing against for jobs. From what I've heard grade inflation and grading curves result in lots of good GPA's at most business schools, so if you have a 3.2, odds are most of your classmates have a better GPA, and you'll all be interviewing for the same jobs.

Correct. The grading scale at b-schools, and grad schools in general, is not very similar to undergrads. People are a lot more serious in grad school, so you rarely see a D or F.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]