Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
well, I understand your guys point of view. And I agree that I probably do need a little more polishing.
But I actually didn't think I could get into a near elite school. Seem like I'm close/around the gmat for those, but I thought my gpa would take me out of consideration.
And since several of the schools I have looked into still have rolling admissions, I figured why not give it a try as I'll most likely be applying to these schools even if I wait. So getting in would save me a year and it can't really hurt to apply now....can it?
schools I've looked at are Davis, irvine, boston u, and rice.
Thanks again.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ayl9899 wrote:
well, I understand your guys point of view. And I agree that I probably do need a little more polishing.
But I actually didn't think I could get into a near elite school. Seem like I'm close/around the gmat for those, but I thought my gpa would take me out of consideration.
And since several of the schools I have looked into still have rolling admissions, I figured why not give it a try as I'll most likely be applying to these schools even if I wait. So getting in would save me a year and it can't really hurt to apply now....can it?
Thanks again.

If your cumulative GPA is a 2.7 then your chances will be diluted considerably further. Why not utilize the next 4~6 months and work on refining your essays with a possible retake targeting a 700+?

Assuming you are a male from an overrepresented minority, you probably stand a fighting chance at most sub top 30 schools that offer rolling admissions. But why not sit out a year and aim higher? What's the rush??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
well, I feel I've stayed in my field/position too long and another year, would feel like a waste as I don't see any significant room for improvement within the year.
And as I'll most likely be applying to several of the same schools next year, if I wait, that I plan on applying to now. I don't really see any point in not applying....
Unless of course, theres a good chance I can get into a much better school than the ones I listed with my current stats.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
ayl9899 wrote:
well, I feel I've stayed in my field/position too long and another year, would feel like a waste as I don't see any significant room for improvement within the year.
And as I'll most likely be applying to several of the same schools next year, if I wait, that I plan on applying to now. I don't really see any point in not applying....
Unless of course, theres a good chance I can get into a much better school than the ones I listed with my current stats.

If you plan on doing nothing to change your odds between now and then - then I suppose there is little point in not applying now. Keep in mind thought that if you apply now and get rejected you will be considered a re-applicant if you apply again. This means that you only write one update essay to them ("What have you done since...." kind of stufF). This is good because you have a bit less work but bad because if your other essays were unconvincing or poor you can't do anything to change those.

If on the other hand you spend the next six months researching schools, maybe trying the GMAT one more time, talking to alumni, volunteering in some kind of leadership role with an extracurricular, etc... you can impact your profile and impact your odds. If you dont want to do all this work - and mind you - it is a lot ot work -- then I suppose your odds would not dramatically change.

I come back to the simple rule many students told me: R3 works if you are an exceptional candidate across the board - high GPA, high GMAT, great WE, etc -- it doesn't otherwise. Personally - and this is just me - I wouldnt waste my time trying to rush a R3 application out the door, knowing that the already low (~20%) odds are probably even more unreasonable in R3 (~10% ?). But thats just me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
ayl9899 wrote:
Thanks again.

I dont think it takes you completely out. Talk to Pelihu. He did incredibly well despite a low GPA (though his GMAT was very high). I had a GPA outside the 80% low-high range (lower than, not higher than!) and I made it into the GSB.

That said, you are right.... If you dont' apply, you can't get in, so why not try? I can appreciate that argument as well. I suppose it comes down to personal preference.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My GPA was below the 80% range for the school I'm going to as well. I really think people sweat low GPA's too much. If it's the only weakness in your application I wouldn't worry about it.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]