Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AICPA, CAL Society CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Management
Schools:Kellogg 1Y, Duke 2Y
GMAT 2: 660
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Re: ANYBODY IN AT HBS? [#permalink]
justincase49 wrote:
Dinged in R3. No surprise there. No app fee though. Will try again in 4 years.

What do u mean by 'no app fee'? Why are u waiting for 4 years?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm a graduating senior from college. I'm 22. They waive the app fee for seniors.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
justincase49 wrote:
I'm a graduating senior from college. I'm 22. They waive the app fee for seniors.

Ah ok... Thats for the clarifications...! You still have a lot of time... Just chill and enjoy the ride.

All the best..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Haha thanks! I'm trying to. What's the best way to get in? besides being the son of a CEO of a fortune 500 company, under represented minority or woman?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
justincase49 wrote:
Haha thanks! I'm trying to. What's the best way to get in? besides being the son of a CEO of a fortune 500 company, under represented minority or woman?

maybe try to become a UFC fighter...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
People on here put too much stock in the GMAT. I would need to see some data that shows the GMAT correlates with anything done in b-school before I would take it that seriously. To me, its more a way of weeding out people than an actual metric of performance in b-school. Thats the feel I've also gotten from the admissions officers I've talked to.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
chillonamill wrote:
People on here put too much stock in the GMAT. I would need to see some data that shows the GMAT correlates with anything done in b-school before I would take it that seriously. To me, its more a way of weeding out people than an actual metric of performance in b-school. Thats the feel I've also gotten from the admissions officers I've talked to.

People seem to put a lot of stock in it because it is one of the better guides during the applications process. If you don't have a high score, you realize the rest of your application needs to be stronger. If you have a lower GPA than a schooles average a high GMAT can compensate for that. Also beyond the top schools it does appear that schools like to take people with exceptional scores to help boost their average GMAT. If you look at the GMAT scores for schools these days most top programs are over 700 and the ones 15-50 all want to bring theirs up as much as they can in hopes that it will increase their rankings and profile.

A high GMAT doesnt mean you can get in to wherever you want but it makes it easier. If all things were equal on two peoples profile, one with a 750 and one with a 670. Having a 740+ isn't going to get you into every school you want if your profile isn't strong overall but it can help at a lot of schools not named Harvard or Stanford.

However once in a GMAT doesn't mean a whole lot in regards to how you will perform but there are rumors of it mattering when it comes to applying to internships and jobs at schools with grade nondisclosures if you are out of the top 10% of your class.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
chillonamill wrote:

People seem to put a lot of stock in it because it is one of the better guides during the applications process. If you don't have a high score, you realize the rest of your application needs to be stronger. If you have a lower GPA than a schooles average a high GMAT can compensate for that. Also beyond the top schools it does appear that schools like to take people with exceptional scores to help boost their average GMAT. If you look at the GMAT scores for schools these days most top programs are over 700 and the ones 15-50 all want to bring theirs up as much as they can in hopes that it will increase their rankings and profile.

A high GMAT doesnt mean you can get in to wherever you want but it makes it easier. If all things were equal on two peoples profile, one with a 750 and one with a 670. Having a 740+ isn't going to get you into every school you want if your profile isn't strong overall but it can help at a lot of schools not named Harvard or Stanford.

However once in a GMAT doesn't mean a whole lot in regards to how you will perform but there are rumors of it mattering when it comes to applying to internships and jobs at schools with grade nondisclosures if you are out of the top 10% of your class.

I definitely agree with what you said. I was just trying to say that from what I've heard straight from adcomms is that your GMAT score is a lot less important than your essays. If your essays don't communicate who you are and why you feel you need an MBA, then your GMAT score (even at 800) is irrelevant.

Someone wrote a post making fun of someone who got into HBS with only a 640. That person with the 640 was able to write essays that showed the adcomms his/her true self and communicated effectively why he/she needed a GMAT. I'm sure there is someone with a 750 who feels cheated. I've talked to some ppl with really high scores, and the first feeling I get from them is that they feel a sense of entitlement to go to a top school. It doesn't work like that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Just purely out of curiosity...for all those HBS admits...can you post the dings you've gotten at other schools, if any?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
Just purely out of curiosity...for all those HBS admits...can you post the dings you've gotten at other schools, if any?

Let's just say the few I've met have been turned down (in several cases) by Stanford (and of course some Stanford admits have been turned down by HBS) and, to a lesser extent, by at least one other of the Ultra Elites.

My theory on the subject: the applicants' execution is not uniform across schools, some schools may have yield concerns, some schools value more some attributes than others, and the process variability cause the differences.

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dinged at Wharton. Waitlisted at Kellogg, but withdrew.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
agsfaltex wrote:
brown wrote:
I'm in. The MBA gods have smiled upon me today.

Congrats brown!! Quite an achievement. Do share your success story with us.

Hey agsfaltex, did you go to A&M for your MBA?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hosam, lipium and brown,

What was the single most important factor in your application that got you in harvard when other very strong profiles didn't even get an interview call?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
jamesdean wrote:
hosam, lipium and brown,

What was the single most important factor in your application that got you in harvard when other very strong profiles didn't even get an interview call?

I think it's because we're way cooler than average... 8-) ...just kidding.

Speaking from my experience only (I haven't met hosam and brown, yet), I don't think there's a most important factor. I think the whole package was solid, made sense and must have been better (in some subjective criteria that only HBS knows) than most of the other applicants' packages.

For further advice, go to the following post:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=46341

Hope it helps. L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I second what lepium said: we are way cooler than most people...

Seriously though, as much as as I'd love to give you a simple formula, that's not the way it works. They really do look at the package as a whole. Personally, I can tell you for sure that I did not get in based alone on my GMAT and/or GPA because neither of them was stellar. Whereas, I was able to tell my story while shedding light on my character very vividly in the essays. I'm sure there were other areas of my profile that were weaker than average and others that were stronger, but they must have liked the package as a whole...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jamesdean wrote:
hosam, lipium and brown,

Luck

I agree with lepium and hosam that "whole package" is important, but even with that in mind, there are still more qualified people than they can accept. I think, for me at least, it probably came down to little things in my profile that may have set me apart from other engineers or added something extra to round out the class. For this, I feel very lucky.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
MBA_app32 wrote:
justincase49, you know someone who got into HBS with a 640 GMAT? What a joke. The GMAT isn't that hard - I wonder how well that student performed in a complex quantitative class. (Maybe it's a non-issue with all of the grade inflation at HBS.)

It's no wonder why many employers want to see GMAT scores from MBA candidates. As I understand it, medical schools and law schools set the bar high and routinely deny applicants failing to meet certain thresholds. That is obviously not the case for business schools.

The GMAT one of the few objective criteria used in evaluating candidates. It's unfortunate that some schools disregard the GMAT.

Wow. What an ...

This is the kind of person I really don't want to see in b-schools. GMAT only tests your intelligence in GMAT. I don't think it's accurate in gaging a student's intellectual capacity. Also, from what I heard, top schools accept students, not numbers.

Somebody tell me, that this is not the type of person I would encounter in b-schools. Brown, lipium? Anybody? If yes, I won't even bother applying. Like other people, one of the reasons why I want to go to a business school is to learn from my other classmates. Not just from teachers, but from classmates. I think the interaction will bring another learning dimension. It's the experience I am really looking forward to. If I am only after statistics and accounting grades, I'd just stay home and memorize books.

I'm scoring around 610.. at least according to GMATprep.
My quantitative and verbal skills in GMAT may be way behind you.
But I think in terms of maturity, I am light years ahead of you.

If most Harvard students are like MBA_app32, then I'd rather enroll myself back to kindergarden. That way, I won't even have to study for the GMAT.

Sorry for the harsh post, I just feel that I need to stand up for people here in the forum.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts