Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I saw an article yesterday on BW about a Cornell professor that just came out with a book on economics based on stories about real world economic enigmas. Like, where are there braille markings on drive-through terminals.

I thought it might be a interesting way to get a feel for economics - for people that are bored by studying economics.

Here's the link to the article. I haven't read the book yet:
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... d=rss_null
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, he was on a local radio show here....I didn't catch a lot of it 'cause I was in and out of the room with the radio, but he sounded interesting and readable.

Though I have to say, I am less worried about econ; I love econ, especially macro stuff. I think I'm actually most worried about finance. Do you guys ever read Allan Sloan? He writes a biz column for Newsweek, and most of the time I think he's speaking ancient Greek. Huh? What? Sometimes I even try really hard to follow the mechanations of what he's describing, but I usually give up.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I suggest a different approach: read The Economist.
You can tackle one article at a time and the content is more varied than hardcore business. There's sociology, book reviews, a summary of affairs by region, etc. I'm a strong enthusiast of The Economist. I started reading it about 4 years ago and I read it regularly now.

I also have a friend who graduated from Stanford's MBA program and he said that to keep up with current affairs you needn't read the WSJ, FT or any of the daily newspapers. You could just read The Economist and the Harvard Business Review and you'd be up to speed with any discussion on current affairs.

Hope it helps. L.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:

OK, fess up. How much are they paying you? You LOVE those guys and give 'em props all the time...

:wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I second the economist. Extensive coverage in a little package.

aaudetat wrote:
lepium wrote:

OK, fess up. How much are they paying you? You LOVE those guys and give 'em props all the time...

:wink:
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Following on agreeing with the two guys above.

The economist is excellent - very brief on everything, but carefully written so that it isn't just surface information.

Books and that are for what you are interested in more for me. So, quite often have zero MBA relevance (Simon Reynolds works are especially popular)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
winning [#permalink]
Aaudetat, you should try on "Winning" of Jack Welch. I really enjoy reading it.
If you don't like finance, maybe should try something on marketing? They are fun and easy to read. from top of my head, "the rise of PR" of Al Ries is pretty good (some of his arguments are forcing, but there are some interesting too)
After reading for a while, I think I should take a class on speed reading or learn how to improve my reading efficiency. I read too slow. It usually takes me a week (20hrs) to read a book about 300-400 pages.
do you guys have any ideas how to read better?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: winning [#permalink]
darren1010 wrote:
Aaudetat, you should try on "Winning" of Jack Welch. I really enjoy reading it.
If you don't like finance, maybe should try something on marketing? They are fun and easy to read. from top of my head, "the rise of PR" of Al Ries is pretty good (some of his arguments are forcing, but there are some interesting too)
After reading for a while, I think I should take a class on speed reading or learn how to improve my reading efficiency. I read too slow. It usually takes me a week (20hrs) to read a book about 300-400 pages.
do you guys have any ideas how to read better?

That's a good rec too, Darren. Thanks.

As for reading speed, I wonder how your speed is in Vietnamese. I am wicked-quick in English, but am super-duper slow, painfully slow, in French. I think slow reading in a second language just goes with the territory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In Vietnamese I read very fast. The book that takes me 20hrs to read in English, if it were in Vietnamese, it would not take me more than 4hrs to read (I'm a reading addict. I began to read when I was 5).
But I really want to read faster in English too :-D. There are too many things to read in B-school, so I will be far behind the class with my slow reading.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the best way to improve the speed of your reading is to stand by the side of train tracks and try to read the ads on the trains as they whiz by. In time, you'll be able to read very quickly.

Just kidding (was that even funny?) If you're a quick reader in your native language then I assume your slower reading speed in English isn't because you don't have the right technique, but rather you haven't read anyhwere near the volume of material in English that you have in Vietnamese. That said, there are techniques taught in many speed-reading courses (such as looking at words in large "clumps" rather than just one, two, or three at a time) that may help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As far as magazines go, I just subscribed to The Economist and Atlantic Monthly a few months ago and LOVE the combination.

A nice little perk from your subscription is you get access to economist's premium content and their city-specific email newsletters are really a good way to keep on top of current events.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would suggest reading a book by Norman Lewis. I think the title is "How to read better and faster". I read it a decade ago during college. The title is quite cheesy and sounds like a video professor title on home shopping network. However, the tips and techniques suggested helped me develop lifelong good reading habits.

darren1010 wrote:
In Vietnamese I read very fast. The book that takes me 20hrs to read in English, if it were in Vietnamese, it would not take me more than 4hrs to read (I'm a reading addict. I began to read when I was 5).
But I really want to read faster in English too :-D. There are too many things to read in B-school, so I will be far behind the class with my slow reading.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I always read slow, but I only ever read once.

(well, on texts anyway. proof reading is different)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Economist is a very good recommendation.

This is not necessarily aaudetat-specific; just some recommendations..

File this under the category: Serious reading

The Innovator's Dilemma -- Clayton Christensen

What Smart Executives Fail -- Sydney Finkelstein (I think he is at Tuck)

The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid : Eradicating Poverty through profits -- C K Prahalad

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time -- Greg Mortenson

I also like to get my biz news analysis from websites such as https://www.tompeters.com
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Make Me Care [#permalink]
If you are looking for an entertaining business novel for the summer, take a look at The Goal by Eliyahu Pratt.

https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Eliyahu-M-Go ... 642&sr=1-1
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I should have mentioned the Goal.

If you are interested in another fun operations based novel, you may consider "The Gold Mine: A Novel of Lean Turnaround" also.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
The Goal is required at Darden. Actually, it's optional over the summer, but it's used in one of the classes.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2