Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Which scheduling and communications devices for B-school?

27% [6]
9% [2]
22% [5]
40% [9]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm with GMATT73, I'm sure I'll have my laptop surgically attached to my lap, so any time I need to check my schedule I can just use Outlook on my laptop. A PDA seems like it would be redundant (for me at least).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yes, me too. I've used smart-phone before, and honestly I didn't find a lot of use into it. It was too big to put into the pocket, and I got tired with carrying it around, so finally I gave it up.
How behind the times I am!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I'm with GMATT73, I'm sure I'll have my laptop surgically attached to my lap, so any time I need to check my schedule I can just use Outlook on my laptop. A PDA seems like it would be redundant (for me at least).

I agree with this. I know people who had PDAs before grad school, then only used their laptops for calendars and scheduling things while in grad school, and now have gone back to their PDAs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've thought about using a PDA, but like some others on here I will probably just use a scheduling function on my laptop and make sure to carry it around with me at all times.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is a different topic.

but how about a tablet PC instead of a laptop?

I have always been fascinated with the ability to write on the screen.

anyone has experience w/ this device ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
This is a different topic.

but how about a tablet PC instead of a laptop?

I have always been fascinated with the ability to write on the screen.

anyone has experience w/ this device ?

Tablet PCs are ok - I used to use the tablet function all the time, now I just type my notes out and occasionally doodle on the screen or draw a graph in OneNote.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned a blackberry - I've got mine hooked into a bunch of email accounts (work, personal and consulting), my calendar and contacts sync wirelessly (so I can make appointments either via outlook, the web, or on the device).

I even have my work extension here forward to my blackberry after 3 rings and also have it so that when I call any extension here at the office it 'impersonates' my actual work extension (perfect for working from home!)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
xion wrote:
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned a blackberry - I've got mine hooked into a bunch of email accounts (work, personal and consulting), my calendar and contacts sync wirelessly (so I can make appointments either via outlook, the web, or on the device).

I even have my work extension here forward to my blackberry after 3 rings and also have it so that when I call any extension here at the office it 'impersonates' my actual work extension (perfect for working from home!)

One issue with blackberries is that you don't get that kind of functionality at school. At least at the school I'll attend, blackberries don't synchronize so well with other systems (or so I've read). For eg, with a blackberry if you read and delete an e-mail, you'll still have to log on into your Outlook and delete the same e-mail again. Whereas with Windows mobile, you would sync automatically. I guess the problem is that there's no blackberry-specific support in place.

Probably other schools offer more support for them.

L.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ya - I'm attending a school that I work for and also have a Blackberry Enterprise Server account at (so it sync's email action and calendar etc...)

I've been trying to convince them to let students on the system as well - I've been using RIM devices since they were large brick-sized pagers so I'm a bit biased :)

There's a site that lets you rent an enterprise account, I've heard it's great: mailstreet (dot) com/wireless/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If the school uses a MS Exchange server (and mine does), shouldn't emails be automatically synced not matter what device you use? It should be similar to using "IMAP" protocal instead of POP, etc.
Do Blackberries support Exchange server?

I am seriously considering a PDA, smart phone or BB because 1) many classes do not allow laptop use 2) if you just want to check your email or schedule, a PDA would be the ideal tool (no need to bust out the laptop)

My campus will have WiFi, so if I get a PDA/BB with wifi, I can surf and email for free. What do you guys think?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Stay away from the Windows Mobile. I got a Treo 700w with Mobile on it and it was a nightmare. Ended up taking it back for a 700p (Palm OS) and love it. I also had a 600 for years, so that is part of it as well. I can't live without mine. Contacts, schedules, web, it has it all. I access my hotmail via my web connection, which I think is ideal.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
zakk wrote:
Stay away from the Windows Mobile. I got a Treo 700w with Mobile on it and it was a nightmare. Ended up taking it back for a 700p (Palm OS) and love it. I also had a 600 for years, so that is part of it as well. I can't live without mine. Contacts, schedules, web, it has it all. I access my hotmail via my web connection, which I think is ideal.

Well, each person has their own preference for this type of thing, but saying "stay away from Windows Mobile" is pretty silly at this point. Palm hasn't had an update in their OS for 5 years or something (actually they had a new version but device makers refused to adopt it because it was terrible). Palm OS is much closer to dead than to its glory days and very few (none that I can think of actually) new devices offer Palm OS. There are a few alternatives out there, but the market is clearly heading towards Windows Mobile. In fact, when you hear about a new handheld device, it's almost assumed that the OS will be Windows Mobile (Motorola Q, Blackjack, Tmobilt Dash/Wing, all the HTC devices, all the Ipaqs, etc.), with Blackberry holding strong in their specific area.

Here's an article on this subject published today:
https://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13203
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
zakk wrote:

Well, each person has their own preference for this type of thing, but saying "stay away from Windows Mobile" is pretty silly at this point. Palm hasn't had an update in their OS for 5 years or something (actually they had a new version but device makers refused to adopt it because it was terrible). Palm OS is much closer to dead than to its glory days and very few (none that I can think of actually) new devices offer Palm OS. There are a few alternatives out there, but the market is clearly heading towards Windows Mobile. In fact, when you hear about a new handheld device, it's almost assumed that the OS will be Windows Mobile (Motorola Q, Blackjack, Tmobilt Dash/Wing, all the HTC devices, all the Ipaqs, etc.), with Blackberry holding strong in their specific area.

Here's an article on this subject published today:

Trying using it, try debugging it, then let me know. From my first hand experience, the expereince of others, and the expereince of those on the palm boards, it is highly unstable, and in my opinion as a PDA user for years, not reliable compared to others on the market.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
zakk wrote:

Trying using it, try debugging it, then let me know. From my first hand experience, the expereince of others, and the expereince of those on the palm boards, it is highly unstable, and in my opinion as a PDA user for years, not reliable compared to others on the market.

Well, I have used Windows mobile devices since the early Ipaqs (before they integrated cellular service), including the Philips Nino, original HP handheld, Samsung i700 & i730, Audiovox Maestro, Sprint PPC 6600, HP 6135 (I think, can't remember the number), Cingular 2125 and others I can't think of off the top of my head. I have also owned Palm devices including the original palm pilot, Palm V, Handspring Edge & Treo 270, 300 & 600, Sony UX50 and Samsung I330. I also used the original blackberry.

I currently just the Blackjack and for me it's just about perfect. I don't know what you mean by "debugging it" but it sounds like you are just talking out your crack on that. These devices work just fine out of the box (both windows mobile and palm). I have done some "hacks" such as unlocking and enabling DUN and things like that, but I don't see debugging the OS as part of using a device. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Palm OS is dead as it stands. Maybe they can make a comeback with their new Linux based version (if it is ever released), or maybe device makers will refuse to adopt it again.

But if we're talking about buying a new device right now (which is what this thread is about), then Palm does not currently offer a competitive device. Palm OS might have been competitive when it was released in 2002 (actually it was already behind at that point), but at this point it's just old (no support for multi-tasking, no support for 3G, etc.). The simple fact is that its successor Palm OS 6 is considered dead. Certainly there are fans of the old OS, just like there are fans of the old Amiga, but the bottom line is that it's the same OS that was already behind 5 years ago.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]