Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Dek.... 100 points increased from your previous score ! :D :)

Excellent ! :).... Where do u plan to apply? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Fig!

Mainly London Schools. And a few top US Schools. I think I can improve my score with the next one but I think this was my chance. I work in media which is very challenging. With a baby due next month I think 680 it is.

Where do you think my chances lie?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dek wrote:
Thanks Fig!

Mainly London Schools. And a few top US Schools. I think I can improve my score with the next one but I think this was my chance. I work in media which is very challenging. With a baby due next month I think 680 it is.

Where do you think my chances lie?

Congrats in advance for your baby under coming :)

Well, I'm not so much expert about applications.... In addition, I do not know your whole profil :).... I think that your GMAT is in the 80% range of LBS :)... So it should not make u out nor in :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations on your great score

680 is pretty good considering LBS

I believe the average GMAT score for LBS is around 680sh
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
So I heard. How do you guys rate an MBA from SAID / LBS over the top US ones
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dek wrote:
So I heard. How do you guys rate an MBA from SAID / LBS over the top US ones

To me, if u are not willing to work in the US, u should definetly consider the europeen B schools :), including INSEAD ;).

More specifically, if u know already where u want to be, u should consider the Bschools that have a strong alumni Network in that place. I think that LBS and Oxford are indeed excellent in UK and Europe/Asia... LBS is much more global to me :)

Another parameter is what kind of job do u want after your MBA? what is your career path aspiration? :)

Finally and very subjectevly, if I have to make a choice between both b schools, I will select LBS :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig.

What do you think the top three choices, in terms of MBA schools whether in US or Europe, for International Investment Management [direct inverstment, prive equity, real estate, infrastrucure projects .. etc], with out taking into consideration the job opportunities/recruitement. I mean for someone who wants to return to his same job.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mishari wrote:
Fig.

What do you think the top three choices, in terms of MBA schools whether in US or Europe, for International Investment Management [direct inverstment, prive equity, real estate, infrastrucure projects .. etc], with out taking into consideration the job opportunities/recruitement. I mean for someone who wants to return to his same job.

Again, I'm not the first one and so the best one to respond to these questions :).... At the same time, I have my view on it too :)

If u are not a career switcher and if the path is the one u describe, I will definetly consider INSEAD as the top choice for the lenght of the program & the very high ROI in that case :).... I heard of other bschools turning some of their programs to a one year lenght :)... But I think it will be the best choice :)

Others will be one step bellow it to me :).... and more a matter of brand preference ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Fig.

Well, INSEAD is very very appealing to me. The fact that the progam is one year long, two campuses in the two most important continents in the world to me, the strong diversity, and the reputation make INSEAD a top choice to me.

The thing that concerns me alot is: If I can make it to H/W/S for example, why should I miss the opportunity to go to a less reputable school like INSEAD ? Is INSEAD really below w/H/S ?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mishari wrote:
Thanks Fig.

Well, INSEAD is very very appealing to me. The fact that the progam is one year long, two campuses in the two most important continents in the world to me, the strong diversity, and the reputation make INSEAD a top choice to me.

The thing that concerns me alot is: If I can make it to H/W/S for example, why should I miss the opportunity to go to a less reputable school like INSEAD ? Is INSEAD really below w/H/S ?

I think that your way of seeing the situation is adequate.... I think W/H/S are above, yes. But anyway, INSEAD is apart and appears truely global. U should give a try to one or all of W/H/S if u believe to have a chance for it and if it's matching your goals/personnality :)

Have u asked to Hjort and others? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Send PM
Re: 680 and thats that [#permalink]
Dek wrote:
Hi Guys,

Got 680.

I had 580 on my first attempt mostly because I underestimated study time. Took around 8 months off and then began preparations again. Studied for 3 months early mornings (have a full time job) and took the last 2 weeks off.

Heres the breakup - Quant 44, Verbal 39.

I want to thank all of you on the forum for a challenging time. Heres my debrief.

1. Dont underestimate the simplicity of the GMAT. You can spend days trying to solve the tougher parts like Prob and Modulus, but when it comes to the real test it is highly unlikely you will face more than 2 of these. That is ofcourse if you are not one of those 750-760 dudes. Anyways get your basics right.

2. Solve simple problems fast. Once you've developed this skill on all the topics then move on to the tougher concepts. GMAT is a based on math skills but more importantly it is based on speed. If I was given ample time I'm sure I could solve all the problems quite easily.

3. The GMAT is a mental marathon. Especially if youve been out of high school and studies for quite a while. I run quite a bit. If I was running a marathon I wouldnt do 2 in a day. I found it quite important to be full of energy and rested on the day of the test. The GMATs not like high school where you stay up all night. You need the rest, this thing can get strenuous. Make sure you have the stamina for it.

Ok, thats that. Heres the stuff I used.
1.OG 11th edition - Obviously it reflects most correctly what the GMAT is about. I would advise that you spend the last 2 days looking through the last 20 Quant qus in DS and PS, look through the answers and the concepts explained.
2. OG Quantitative (Green book)
3.MGMAT - I used the SC - Highly recommeded.
4.Gmatclub.com - When youre lost in a concept log on. Theres always someone to answer your qus. Kudos to the community.
5.Manhattangmat.com - When you buy their books you get free online access. They have 6 CATS and a lot more. They are very tough compared to the actual GMAT, but dont let it get you down. The real GMAT is not that tough but it helps you hone your skills.

Dek

Congrats Dek. Your score in qt pulled you below 700 otherwise you would have done it.

I fully agree with your view about tough qt problems. If you are looking for 700, you do not need to spend the whole day solving crapy quants.

Goodluck.

H
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Himalayan.
I'm glad the GMATs out of the way. Come August apps should be out. That's Another rollercoaster ride for sure!

Originally posted by Dek on 12 Jun 2007, 23:34.
Last edited by Dek on 20 Jun 2007, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just an update.

AWA 5.0 :)
In my first GMAT I concentrated so much on the essays i had a 6.0.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts