Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
true true [#permalink]
I did go to Franklin and Marshall, in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania!
Happy to hear that some big shots went to my school and still got to great B-schools as in your post above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort,

I went to three undergrad schools because of various circumstances. Will my GPA's from all schools be factored or do you think AdComs will look at only my graduating school?

I started off at a tier 3 school and transferred to a tier 1 school, I then took a semester at a different tier 1 school to try it out but came back. I spent about half my time at the original tier 3 school and half at the tier 1 (with a semester at another tier 1).

Any thoughts?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is there a pattern in your performance, e.g. was your performance much stronger at one of the schools?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Is there a pattern in your performance, e.g. was your performance much stronger at one of the schools?

My GPA was much stronger (3.5+) at the tier 3 school, and it was also my firt two years of engineering. The tier 1 school became increasingly difficult and my grades suffered because of the more advanced subject matter and tougher competition. I graduated with just a hair under 3. If I factor all my credits/grades my GPA translates to around 3.3.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Admissions officers would likely consider the transcripts together, with more weight given to the more recent (and higher prestige) school. Declining performance and weaker performance at the more competitive schools are often regarded as yellow flags.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Admissions officers would likely consider the transcripts together, with more weight given to the more recent (and higher prestige) school. Declining performance and weaker performance at the more competitive schools are often regarded as yellow flags.
Hjort

Thanks Hjort, I'll have to figure out a way to show that it will not reflect my performance in b-school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Middlebury and Tufts are both top notch undergrads.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
So, if you were considering someone in my situation, who attended the University of Iowa as an Undergrad, do you think this will hurt or help me? I know it is not an Ivy League school or a HIGH prestige school, but like most Big Ten schools it is a quality institution. The reason for me going was the fact that I grew up in-state, but I never even really looked anywhere else, which was kind of dumb looking back (I could have been accepted at a lot more prestigious schools). But, how much do you think going somewhere like Iowa would hurt me, if at all?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Middlebury and Tufts are both top notch undergrads.

Are you a Middlebury or Tufts alum?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Does your Undergraduate Institution Matter? [#permalink]
I went to a Michigan "directional" school (tier 3 in USNWR rankings) and finished with a decent GPA (3.7), with my last two year's GPA being about 3.95 and a 4.0 in my major classes. Because of the low profile of my undergrad and only probably having about 2.5 years work exp when I plan on applying, how do you think this will effect my chances? Am I going to have to shoot the lights out with the GMAT to "prove" that getting a decent GPA at a smaller school, or will still anything 7XX be alright?

I guess the question is, how badly does my smaller school hurt my chances and what are some steps I can do to mitigate this?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Does your Undergraduate Institution Matter? [#permalink]