Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
When reviewing applications, does the admissions committee have a list of those who visited the school and those who haven't?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Further to Rhyme's post, if you're local to a particular school you should definitely visit. For example, if I were adcom at Kellogg and saw you live in Chicago and there's no mention of a visit on your essays or record of you visiting my campus I'd wonder why.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
rusk521 wrote:
When reviewing applications, does the admissions committee have a list of those who visited the school and those who haven't?

Probably varies by school...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
rusk521 wrote:

Some schools definitely indicate this information right on your application. I know that Darden shows a date of visit, as well as if you sat in on classes. When I called in to ask if my recommendations had been received, the woman I spoke with actually read a list of application elements saying "let's see, transcript received, rec 1 received, rec 2 not received, no visit" etc. I think several schools have this type of system.

Other schools ask you to describe a visit in your essays, and if you haven't visited, then why not. I know Berkeley has this particular question. I didn't apply to NYU, but I seem to recall that they had a question like this.

I know that Wharton asks people that visit to log into a terminal set up specifically for the purpose of recording their visit. I guess Wharton is too big to do it any other way.

So, it depends on the school, but many of them do put weight on a visit; the importance of visits also varies.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I recently started planning campus/class visits, and realized that almost all schools begin the class-visit programs from October. Doesn't it make more sense to visit a class before you apply to the school? Then why do the schools start the class visit program after the R1 deadline?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, that really sucks. I had the same issue last year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I recently started planning campus/class visits, and realized that almost all schools begin the class-visit programs from October. Doesn't it make more sense to visit a class before you apply to the school? Then why do the schools start the class visit program after the R1 deadline?

Visiting the campus and meeting students/adcom will give enough fodder to attack the Essays!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great tips here!

One thing if they schools haven't set up official class visits before R1's are due: You can always call the admissions office and ask for student and alumnus ambassadors who might be willing to show you around and give you an informal visit. I think those are much more useful than the official ones, since you'll be fighting other applicants for time with the tour guide.

I plan on doing that for some of my visits, if I can get in contact with some of the students and alumni.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
so who wants to be my tour guide at the gsb this fall? rhyme? GMATcram?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:

I'll be happy to do it...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
One more questions. On meeting with adcoms, what would that type of meeting be? Would you be telling them about yourself? Would you just be asking about application strategies? What would you talk to the Adcom about?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey, I thought you already found a GSB guy to help you with a class visit. If not, drop me a line.
dabots wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:

It is always a good idea to visit a scool but please keep following points in mind while visiting a school.

I have failed to understand that how in the world by visiting a school one or two times and by meeting a very small sample of students on a certain visit, one can make a decision about the whole class, which is usually comprised of 400 to 900 students at all ultra-elite schools? It is simply not possible.

I will give you guys my own personal example. While visiting a certain ultra-elite school, known for its finance reputation, I was little upset for not being able to meet a single student who was involved in social impact/social entrepreneurship type activities – the area where I am interested to be involved while at B-school. Let me make it clear that I actually contacted five students at that school prior to my visit and requested them to meet me. Unfortunately, all five students were not able to see me due to classes, meetings, projects etc (although I admit that I did not give them enough notice). All other students that I met during my visit (probably 7) were also not of my ‘type”. I felt little dejected and started thinking that this school is not a good fit for me. The very next day I started getting mails from the students at Net Impact club at that school in which they offered to help me with my questions/concerns via email/phone. They also referred me to some other students who are actually involved in real life microfinance projects. Making long story short, I ended up making a very strong relationship with at least seven students at the very same school (I have not even started there yet) with whom I share my goals and future aspirations.

Similarly, while visiting a school that is particularly known for its soft skills, I ended up getting involved (little bit) with its finance/PE club as one of my close fiends is heading the club. Although finance is not my cup of tea but had it been my dream area, (for the sake of argument), I could have joined that “soft” school, simply focus on the finance club and develop a strong network of 40 to 45 bright finance students without worrying about rest of 450 “soft” students.

The point I am trying to make that ultra-elite as well as elite schools (to some extent) schools have a luxury of choosing among applicants and craft a diverse class. It is hard to believe that you cannot find 15 to 20 guys of your “type” with whom you can share personal values, ethical beliefs, professional goals, and extracurricular activities. And if you cannot find them in 500 students, chances are that an admission consultant helped you “spinning” your story to get you into a business school and in reality you are not a team person or your social skills suck.

I challenge that if you visit an ultra-elite or an elite school three or four times, almost every time you will develop a slightly different perception about the caliber of students, their interests, intellectual quality etc at the very same school. I believe that we should have more trust in our personalities to be able to find like minded folks in any ultra-elite or an elite school. The real point of differentiation should be the city, weather, facilities, geographical brand equity (if someone is interested in that aspect), and school’s ability to land job in your desired area (especially if your dream job is relatively unique) as all of these factors are beyond our control.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]