Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
Great Score. Congrats

Can you elaborate on the database. We already have forums where hundreds of problems are available.

i saw that you entered you scored in the database. but could you please submit your practise test scores too, along with the real gmat one. if you mention your practise test scores,i can just go ahead and enter it in the database for you

regards
praet

Yes, I definitely can work with other GMAT Club members to create a systematized version of a database. I think that questions can be taken together and systematized by type(math or verbal), content(SC, CR, RC, etc.), rules applicable(for every response - A,B,C,D, or E one can find rules that are broken or, conversely, find that no rules are broken).

All this material could be put into database and PHP(or JSP) web application could be written to manage it correctly. The correct management implies that this material could be organized so that others can test using it, find their mistakes and test their flaws again.

Web app could help in the following way:

1. It could measure your GMAT verbal & math abilities(by testing it - here we can use standard CAT tests with our own questions).

2. It could then assign you a goal(for instance, one can choose his goal - 39 for verbal and 50 for math), depending on your time constraints and potential.

3. After testing you and setting objectives, it could build a "map" of your preparation process. For example, you want to raise your Verbal score from current 30 to 40. Web application should determine your initial parameters(such as % of errors in SC, subj.-verb agreement), find the way to improve these parameters(to targeted levels) and give you some set of questions which serve this goal.

It is worth noting that the state of your familiarity with the test can be measured by the set of parameters(% of errors in each question type, time to response, variation of time to response, etc.). So, the system can manage these parameters and content of exercises in a proper way and guide you to the goal, which was defined previously.

So, I think the first thing which can be done is to systematize these question by types and put them into a database.

I didn't report any Kaplan, PR, ARCO, 800 score, or PPrep scores because I actually had never tested with these tools. As I've already mentioned, I just worked on my Verbal. The only test which I used to check my verbal was Cambridge preparation guide(? - I don't remember it exactly, it was the only test available at Moscow's AmCenter preparation center), I scored 86% there(verbal section only). If you take into account my Math(which was always 99% - simply because I had no single Math question wrong), you can estimate my GMAT score.

The reason for not testing full-length GMAT test is that I found it difficult(and useless) to waste 4-5 hours for it. Instead I used "paper" verbal tests, which I copied from various guides(Barrons, PR, Kaplan, ARCO, etc.). I solved verbal problems everywhere - while riding in metro, while sitting at home, while having a lunch at the restaurant. This strategy proved to be quite successfull :-).

Best regards, Emmanuel.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: My GMAT experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Emmanuel wrote:
I had just 2 weeks for preparation. But before I did TOEFL and had some experience with ETS tests.

My Math ability was really high so I decided not to waste any time solving those easy problems from Math workbook. Instead I prepared for Verbal part of the test. The algorithm which was used is as follows: I copied verbal tests from prep guides(Kaplan, PR, ARCO, etc.) and actually trained a lot. I didn't use any instructions or guides, I just tried to absorb as many questions as I could. Whenever I found a mistake, I studied the rules and then test it all again. In this way I prepared for Verbal.

I even had no time to test myself with real GMAT CAT... :-)

But Kaplan's GMAT Verbal Workbook was really full of tests with some sort of systematization(by question types and applicable rules) and it helped me a lot. I didn't read any instructions or rules, just tested for questions(on the same rule), and that helped me later to detect these rules automatically.

I think that not only Sentence Correction questions could be systematized in such a way, but also Critical Reasoning, Reading Comp, and Math questions.

My GMAT score is 750(99%), 39 for Verbal(for a student from Ukraine - non-English-speaking country it's great) and 51 for Math. The AWA score is 4.5(60%), which is less due to the lack of written English communication.

It is interesting, however, to build some sort of preparation system for GMAT CAT, so that prospective test-takers could develop their GMAT skills. To do this, one needs to create a database full of questions in SC, CR, and RC, and Math. If this can be done with support of GMATClub, then it can be useful for those who need high GMAT score to get admitted to the B.S.

Emmanuel,

Pozdravlayu! Great score without much practice. I don't think I would have gotten 750 with just two weeks of practice, I have to admit :oops:
New stardads for all of us, I guess.

thank you for the suggestions and ideas.
We are working on a way to create a database, but have not thought about connecting it to recommendations and a study plan. Kaplan's CD has something like this - it lets you take a diagnostic test and then comes up with a list of things they have on the CD to go through.

Which city did you take your GMAT?

--Bogdan.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bb wrote:
Emmanuel,

Pozdravlayu! Great score without much practice. I don't think I would have gotten 750 with just two weeks of practice, I have to admit :oops:
New stardads for all of us, I guess.

thank you for the suggestions and ideas.
We are working on a way to create a database, but have not thought about connecting it to recommendations and a study plan. Kaplan's CD has something like this - it lets you take a diagnostic test and then comes up with a list of things they have on the CD to go through.

Which city did you take your GMAT?

--Bogdan.

It was easier because of my great math. I didn't prepare for it at all. The only thing, which I have prepared for, is verbal (not to mention 1 day, during which I trained my written English in essay writing).

A propos, if you want to see what my math level is, ask Annie Yezhova. :-) She never forgets how I managed to teach her GMAT math and how I solved problems by the method of "pristal'nogo vzglyada", or just looking at it, without paper, pencil, or calculator... :-) I think I'll be able to go to Kiev this summer and help her a bit in math again :-). She wants to take GMAT this fall(in September or October, I suggest).

The idea with a database is really powerful, because with this thing it would be much easier to find weaknesses and improve them. Without some sort of application one can hardly find one's flaws. Moreover, problems with rules (which lead to errors) are not similar to each other. They differ by % of errors, reaction time, etc. The goal of application is to find flaws that can be filled and improved in the easiest way. Other, difficult flaws, should be improved, but later (because efforts put to improve them are very high in the beginning, so one should start with minor problems)... So, during the process of study application should choose the direction of efforts and fill minor flaws first. The algorithm is not detailed, but I think it can be created in a month or so.

I took the test in Kiev (Kyiv), (do you remember Prometric testing center in Kiev - Klov, Pechers'ky vzviz? - now it is really nice place with cafe's), because testing places in Moscow (where I studied) were filled till the end of February(it was December 29th or so)... I made a reservation on the MBA.com (that's another funny story :-)) and traveled to Kiev to take the test (that's another funny story :-) - I missed a train (on new year's eve!) and bought another ticket from just 1 available!). You may ask Serhiy Ilutsa for details... :-) On December 30th I took the test and then celebrated New Year with Serhiy and other friends.

So, it was really funny story... :-)

Best regards,

Emmanuel.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts