Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I asked this question in an info session and was told that the business schools (atleast GSB Chicago, UCLA and Columbia) do not emphasize a lot on foreign language skills, but its always a good thing to bring it up in your essays, if you can incorporate it.

I speak a few languages, so it always adds more color to your profile
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
I asked this question in an info session and was told that the business schools (atleast GSB Chicago, UCLA and Columbia) do not emphasize a lot on foreign language skills, but its always a good thing to bring it up in your essays, if you can incorporate it.

I speak a few languages, so it always adds more color to your profile

I agree. I was all excited about speaking 5 languages and later on learnt that it was almost a non factor. The exception would be with schools such as IMD which emphasizes speaking several languages, or Thunderbird, which has a specific two-languages requirement.

L.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Foreign Languages [#permalink]
seanpatin wrote:
I know a lot of Foreign schools like, require, or advocate the learning or knowledge of foreign languages, but how do U.S. schools look upon them? I currently have a pretty strong grasp of Spanish, but am looking to learn possibly French, Manarin Chinese, or both at least to a moderate degree. Would this be beneficial in the application process at all? I know of course that it could help me in my career later on, but do adcomms look favorably upon such knowledge?

I applied last year while completing a six year assignment abroad and actually did emphasize my foreign language skills. If you are targeting a school with a strong international business program (Wharton-Lauder, Georgetown, Washington, Thunderbird, etc.) then by all means refine your current Spanish ability. You might even want to look into a national certification or license because it will give you an advantage.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do you have any idea where I can find out what types of certification are "accredited"? I have ran across like 30 things on the net regarding it, so it is hard to really decide which one to do so that I could actually use it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
seanpatin wrote:
Do you have any idea where I can find out what types of certification are "accredited"? I have ran across like 30 things on the net regarding it, so it is hard to really decide which one to do so that I could actually use it.

Check Wharton - Lauder's program. They have an accreditation requirement for languages which should be reputable (since they endorse it).

L.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lepium's right. There is an accredited language certification that Wharton (and Thunderbird) uses to gauge the skills of it's applicants. I think it's the same test the government requires for some of it's foreign service and national intelligence applicants.

Alternatively, you could look into certifications offered by the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California. They now offer licenses (and even advanced training in interpretation/translation) to the general public.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]