Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
kharma wrote:
Think of it more as a "rolling decisions process". They hold a deadline by which you need to apply/they render their decision, but will let you know in advance if they're at that point.

(kellogg admit)

Hopefully lots of schools do this. It would be nice to get accepted by a top school quickly in R1 so then R2 I wouldn't have to worry about my backup schools or even any schools at all.

I used to think that was a good thing too. The truth is, its much much much worse with schools who do it this way.... its so evil. The problem is that you start hearing that people are getting calls .... and then ... unless you are lucky enough to get a call early in the process, you spend the next week, two weeks, three weeks, even four weeks watching other people get admits while you bite your nails... (waitlist here)

Compare that to schools that release all decisions in one or two days -- and you have maybe 8 to 16 hours of nail biting frustration as the boards explode with admits. For that one day - every buzz on your blackberry, every time the phone rings, you jump a little bit inside. But its only for one day, or maybe two at the most. Imagine that for a month instead..

Rolling admissions is worse.

Its the difference between tearing off a bandaid once quickly and tearing it off slowly every day.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants [#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
I stumbled upon this at the Kellogg website - I feel this is just a disclaimer or is it true @ Kellogg ?

"International students who wish to work in the United States should understand that few positions are available for people without a permanent work visa. Most U.S. firms are not in a position to hire a person who has only a training period remaining on a student visa. "

Its an Ultra Elite afterall -so does the above really matter ?

Anyway who all are in for rnd1 ? :)

That is 100% true. I am an international student (with US LPR) and if things work out right I will be at Kellogg this Fall. The right to work in the US is a nightmare! I dont even want to start the discussion here!

But, the above statement is absolutely true, and there are several companies that have said that they will NOT EVEN INTERVIEW candidates if the candidates do not have a valid work authorization in the US.

I admire the fact that Kellogg is upfront and open about it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, this is a common problem for internationals across all schools .. but I am impressed how Kellogg is so upfront about it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wonder if all the rumors about companies not interviewing internationals is going to hurt applications from abroad this year. If so it could help peoples chances and its worth the risk because the way things have been working with the Visas lately the goverment is going to have to do something about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is exactly the sort of problem that is making me think twice about applying for Fall 08. If I wait one more year, I will most likely have my green card so won't have to go through the hassle of applying for work visa when I graduate...on the other hand, if I wait for one more year, I might be too old to get a job anyways and might have to take up a Subway franchise :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:
Do any of you guys think that some body with a market research background, with experience at one of the top firms, will have some preference at Kellogg?

Is your background market research (as in finance, securities, business analyst, etc.) or Marketing Research (MR)? If MR is your field and where you want to stay in, you might want to choose a school that isn't as fancy but are known more for their MR programs. There are some top schools w/ MR programs too. There is actually a M.M.R. degree.

Regardless, if you have a marketing research background you are an interesting candidate; i.e. you aren't some software/IT/coder/drone that adcoms have seen 1000 apps from this year. You probably have an interesting background to talk about with some psych and sociology along with strong statistics and quant skills and the bread and butter generic business stuff that everyone needs in Bschool. If you are a finance guy, I dunno enough about the field or Kellog, but working at a top firm certainly isn't going to hurt you. Best of luck!
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
Do any of you guys think that some body with a market research background, with experience at one of the top firms, will have some preference at Kellogg?

Is your background market research (as in finance, securities, business analyst, etc.) or Marketing Research (MR)? If MR is your field and where you want to stay in, you might want to choose a school that isn't as fancy but are known more for their MR programs. There are some top schools w/ MR programs too. There is actually a M.M.R. degree.

Regardless, if you have a marketing research background you are an interesting candidate; i.e. you aren't some software/IT/coder/drone that adcoms have seen 1000 apps from this year. You probably have an interesting background to talk about with some psych and sociology along with strong statistics and quant skills and the bread and butter generic business stuff that everyone needs in Bschool. If you are a finance guy, I dunno enough about the field or Kellog, but working at a top firm certainly isn't going to hurt you. Best of luck!

Thanks Anonymous. I am in Marketing research. We conduct studies aimed at understanding end user perceptions and purchasing behavior, market dynamics, market segmentation, competitor personality mapping, and channel behavior.

Hope the government does some thing regarding visa, by the time we (international applicants) graduate.

Also, wage levels in countries such as India are going up fast (according to SAP et al). Thats a not a bad news for us. :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Edit:

Originally posted by kripalkavi on 28 Jul 2007, 03:45.
Last edited by kripalkavi on 02 Oct 2007, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:
anonymousegmat wrote:
aurobindo wrote:

Thanks Anonymous. I am in Marketing research. We conduct studies aimed at understanding end user perceptions and purchasing behavior, market dynamics, market segmentation, competitor personality mapping, and channel behavior.

Hope the government does some thing regarding visa, by the time we (international applicants) graduate.

Also, wage levels in countries such as India are going up fast (according to SAP et al). Thats a not a bad news for us. :wink:

very cool. I am going to grad school to pursue an M.M.R. Here in America some people use the terms market/marketing research interchangeably... some people have a stick up their butt about it and do not. lol..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
[#permalink]
english_august wrote:
This is exactly the sort of problem that is making me think twice about applying for Fall 08. If I wait one more year, I will most likely have my green card so won't have to go through the hassle of applying for work visa when I graduate...on the other hand, if I wait for one more year, I might be too old to get a job anyways and might have to take up a Subway franchise :-D

This question is for Indians working in the US . I am currently working on H1 ( used up 2 years of H1). My green card is in process. I will be apply for 485 stage next month and my lawyer says I will get teh EAD card by Oct -Nov. Iam applying to B-schools in the 2nd round.i,e around Nov-Dec time frame. Do I get an advantage if I apply as a domestic student (if I get teh EAD card in time)?
Last week I made a campus visit to Kelley Business School and the admissions director told me that if I get my EAD before I apply I will not be evaluated from the pool of International students. I not sure if this going to be a benefit or a withdraw? Please let me what you think.

This information might you answer my question.
Female/29 years/MS electrical and Computer Engg/Working on H1/Software Engineer/5 years exp: 3years in India, 2 years in US/
Community service: Was working with a literary mission in India/organised blood camps in India/In US work with a rescuse mission/volunteer at local events/Do free tutoring for students.

Thanks,
Goals
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
[#permalink]
goalsnr wrote:
Last week I made a campus visit to Kelley Business School and the admissions director told me that if I get my EAD before I apply I will not be evaluated from the pool of International students. I not sure if this going to be a benefit or a withdraw? Please let me what you think.

You cannot quit your job and go to school on your EAD, unless the primary green card applicant is your spouse and he or she keeps his job.
You need to have your green card to be able to do that. So please check with your lawyer before you go forward on that assumption.

Originally posted by english_august on 29 Jul 2007, 12:24.
Last edited by english_august on 29 Jul 2007, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:

Precisely the point. I have worked in FMCG for around 5 years and know many MR people and how they have progressed in their careers.

An MBA for an MR professional is a gamble but depends at what level you are standing currently. If you are in an MR job for 4-5 years and at manager level, I would not advise you to go and get an MBA - rather you should seek international jobs specially the fact that there is a lot of opportunity in middle east. If you are already with an MNC, don't waste your time by even thinking about an MBA.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Count me in for R2
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in for round 1
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
I used to think that was a good thing too. The truth is, its much much much worse with schools who do it this way.... its so evil. The problem is that you start hearing that people are getting calls .... and then ... unless you are lucky enough to get a call early in the process, you spend the next week, two weeks, three weeks, even four weeks watching other people get admits while you bite your nails... (waitlist here)

It's even worse when they keep messing up with your stuff. They have you send your transcripts twice, then ask you to please fax a copy of your TOEFL score (even though you have sent them through ETS about 2 months earlier)...etc. And the interview invite doesn't mean anything, unlike with other schools, so you haven't a clue.

I was lucky to have another admit calm me down about 15 days earlier, but I got my admit from K only 2 days before the deadline and was about despairing by then.

L.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
For anyone familiar with last year's Kellogg app... [#permalink]
Is the short answer essay: "4B - I wish the Admissions Committee had asked me…" the place where you should explain any gaps in employment or education or is there a spot in the application itself for this? I don't want to waste any precious essay space but I also want to acknowledge some gaps.

Is anyone else having trouble with the word limits? So much to say, so little room!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Does anyone have the Kellogg essays and deadlines? The essays used to be on their website but are no longer posted.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  100