Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Audio wrote:
Paul,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I appreciate it.

Other question: considering my interest for IB or PE, whihc schools would you recommend? I was thinking about Chicago, Wharton and Stern, do you:

1. think I can get in these schools?
2. see any other that would be interesting and accessible for me?

Thanks again!

Audio,

Yes, I think you have a shot at all three of those schools.

You may want to see a Wall Street Journal article from June 12 entitled "Private Equity Is in a Class of Its Own" for some ideas on which schools are strong in PE. Chicago, HBS, Wharton, Columbia, but also Dartmouth Tuck are highlighted. Other strong finance schools are MIT, Michigan, UCLA, Yale, and Haas.

Good luck,
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi again Paul,

I have a question concerning the TOEFL. As you know, foreign students have to take the IBT TOEFL exam. Do you have any idea of what I should be aiming for as a minimum for this exam to get into schools like Stern, etc? They don't mention any specific limits, but considerning my profile, what would you expect?

Thanks a lot for your help!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

I have a question concerning the TOEFL. As you know, foreign students have to take the IBT TOEFL exam. Do you have any idea of what I should be aiming for as a minimum for this exam to get into schools like Stern, etc? They don't mention any specific limits, but considerning my profile, what would you expect?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Audio,

600 would probably do it.

Good luck,
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi again Paul,

Considering that my objective is the financial world - investment banking, private equity, or even hedge funds since I'll have the CFA accreditation also - I've determined a couple of schools that would suit me.

I was thinking about Wharton, Stern, Sloan, HBS, Stanford, LBS, University of Chicago. Considering my profile above, am I aiming too high? Which of these schools should I eliminate / keep? Do you see any other schools I could go to? (European schools are good too). Considering that I already have an undergraduate degree in finance and that I'll get my CFA accreditation soon, are there any good 1Y programs for me?

Thanks a lot for your precious help Paul!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Considering that my objective is the financial world - investment banking, private equity, or even hedge funds since I'll have the CFA accreditation also - I've determined a couple of schools that would suit me.

I was thinking about Wharton, Stern, Sloan, HBS, Stanford, LBS, University of Chicago. Considering my profile above, am I aiming too high? Which of these schools should I eliminate / keep? Do you see any other schools I could go to? (European schools are good too). Considering that I already have an undergraduate degree in finance and that I'll get my CFA accreditation soon, are there any good 1Y programs for me?

Audio,

HBS and Stanford may be reaching too high. I already told you my opinion of your chances at Wharton, Chicago, and Stern. As for European schools, you may have a chance at LBS; Oxford Said places alot of people in finance roles. You might want to consider MIT, UCLA, and/or Haas--all highly ranked in finance.

Good luck,
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

HBS and Stanford may be reaching too high. I already told you my opinion of your chances at Wharton, Chicago, and Stern. As for European schools, you may have a chance at LBS; Oxford Said places alot of people in finance roles. You might want to consider MIT, UCLA, and/or Haas--all highly ranked in finance.

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a million for your help. I have finally decided to add Columbia to my list too.

Just wanted to tell you also that I bought your book, and it has proved to be very helpful indeed!

Thanks a lot,

Audio
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Audio wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a million for your help. I have finally decided to add Columbia to my list too.

Just wanted to tell you also that I bought your book, and it has proved to be very helpful indeed!

Thanks a lot,

Audio

Audio,

Glad to hear it! If you feel like adding a brief glowing review to my book's Amazon.com page I would be eternally in your debt.
Thanks!
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Accepted.com wrote:
Audio wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot,

Audio

Audio,

Glad to hear it! If you feel like adding a brief glowing review to my book's Amazon.com page I would be eternally in your debt.
Thanks!

Paul, I bought the book on amazon.co.uk, I put a review there (5 stars of course). Thanks again for your help! It has been priceless.

PS: do you also give advice for specific essay topics? I would have a couple of questions for you in that sense (among other essay 1 for Chicago)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Audio wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Audio wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot,

Audio

Audio,

Thanks!

Paul, I bought the book on amazon.co.uk, I put a review there (5 stars of course). Thanks again for your help! It has been priceless.

PS: do you also give advice for specific essay topics? I would have a couple of questions for you in that sense (among other essay 1 for Chicago)

Audio,

Thanks for the review! I do offer general advice for essay topics but I can't review someone's actual essay on this site (I can do it on a paying client-consultant basis, of course). Also, I've answered a fair number of your posts already so we might want to give other posters a chance.

Good luck,
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot for your help Paul. It has been priceless. I'll certainly recommend your book in the future to all MBA applicants.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Audio wrote:
Thanks a lot for your help Paul. It has been priceless. I'll certainly recommend your book in the future to all MBA applicants.

Thank you, sir.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

If you don't have time to answer this question, I understand - I've used a lot of your time already and you have to give priority to other people. But if you do have time, could you answer the following question?

I have just taken the GMAT and got 750 (V 42 Q 49 AWA 5.0). I'm applying for Wharton, Chicago, Stern and Columbia. Will this score make these schools less of a "long shot" (in other words compensate for some weaker aspects of my application, such as my professional career), or is the GMAT just a question of being above a certain acceptable level (for example 700 in this case)?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Audio wrote:
Hi Paul,

If you don't have time to answer this question, I understand - I've used a lot of your time already and you have to give priority to other people. But if you do have time, could you answer the following question?

I have just taken the GMAT and got 750 (V 42 Q 49 AWA 5.0). I'm applying for Wharton, Chicago, Stern and Columbia. Will this score make these schools less of a "long shot" (in other words compensate for some weaker aspects of my application, such as my professional career), or is the GMAT just a question of being above a certain acceptable level (for example 700 in this case)?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Audio,

You have a very distinctive profile and your GMAT score sends a strong signal so I would not dream of discouraging you from applying to these four schools. I think Columbia is the biggest longshot and Stern the most doable. B-schools love unusual applicants so if you can give them some strong leadership stories in your essays you would have a definite shot at getting into these schools. Go for it.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink]
Paul,

I have been accepted to Wharton and Chicago - I stopped the Stern process. I just wanted to thank you once again for your precious comments, they have been invaluable. Also, your book really helped me write my essays, I would recommend it to anybody! It definitively gave me a clear idea of how to structure and write the essays.

I couldn't have made it without you - thanks a million!

Audio, a very grateful future MBA student
Send PM
Expert Reply
Audio,

Congratulations. Glad I was able to help.
GMAT Club Bot