Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
I remember a previous conversation on this forum. Technically, you can choose not to "Honor" the commitment by declining the offer. But there is a possible down side.

Eventhough Columbia hasn't black balled anyone so far for refusing to adhere to the ED guidelines, it may be done in the future. Add to this, you stand to lose $6000. I personally would be very uncomfortable doing it. Why not wait until RD starts?

Hi Prasad, what exactly do you mean by black balled? what might be the consequences ? just wondering ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
djhouse81 wrote:
No, I did not. Did you? If so, what did you think of the interview?

Yeah, I did. I think my interview went really well. In fact, the interviewer strongly encouraged me to get in touch with AdCom, and express my strong interest in Columbia.

The interview was in NYC with a 05 grad. It was fairly relaxed and up-beat. The guy works for a hedge fund and was extremely smart.

However, I did not get any feedback session, which really bummed me off. CL is my top choice and a feedback session would have been great. But oh well, am ready to roll the dice one more time.

Originally posted by DJM on 25 Jul 2007, 23:27.
Last edited by DJM on 26 Jul 2007, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Submitting an application for ED and not honoring the admission, demonstrates questionable ethics and possible lack of integrity.

What if CBS decides to share information about such applicants with other schools. The applicant can get blacklisted. I dont think CBS does this today, but by not honoring a contract applicants are in danger of being denied admission at other schools.

Anyways, my take is that if some one does not really want to attend CBS, they are better off applying during RD than ED.

grad_mba wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
I remember a previous conversation on this forum. Technically, you can choose not to "Honor" the commitment by declining the offer. But there is a possible down side.

Eventhough Columbia hasn't black balled anyone so far for refusing to adhere to the ED guidelines, it may be done in the future. Add to this, you stand to lose $6000. I personally would be very uncomfortable doing it. Why not wait until RD starts?

Hi Prasad, what exactly do you mean by black balled? what might be the consequences ? just wondering ..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Submitting an application for ED and not honoring the admission, demonstrates questionable ethics and possible lack of integrity.

What if CBS decides to share information about such applicants with other schools. The applicant can get blacklisted. I dont think CBS does this today, but by not honoring a contract applicants are in danger of being denied admission at other schools.

Anyways, my take is that if some one does not really want to attend CBS, they are better off applying during RD than ED.

grad_mba wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

Not to mention screwing over people who would honor the ED acceptance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
DJM wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:
No, I did not. Did you? If so, what did you think of the interview?

Yeah, I did. I think my interview went really well. In fact, the interviewer strongly encouraged me to get in touch with AdCom, and express my strong interest in Columbia.

The interview was in NYC with a 05 grad. It was fairly relaxed and up-beat. The guy works for a hedge fund and was extremely smart.

However, I did not get any feedback session, which really bummed me off. CL is my top choice and a feedback session would have been great. But oh well, am ready to roll the dice one more time.

I wouldn't sweat not getting feedback; the fact that you got an interivew says a lot about your application--considering the applicant pool. By the way, did you visit the school before the interview? Did you ever end up getting in contact with someone from the school? From what I hear-- and this is coming from a current Columbia student who got in with a 690, 3.0 GPA, and solid work experience--they particularly like to see you put forth a genuine effort in getting to know the school. That does not mean that is the magic admission potion, but with a competitive school like Columbia it could make all the difference.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In the Employment History part of the application, there's a non-required field for "Salary PIN". What is this? Google tells me nothing and my HR group has never heard of such a thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sending in your transcripts or using the self-reporting Excel file? My understanding that it's an 'either or' option. However, in theory it would be much better to send in the actual transcript to avoid any complications?

Has anybody decided how to define entrepreneurship for Essay 3?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Read about what Dean Glenn Hubbard has to say in his speech...you will find the "Columbia" definition of entrepreneurship there....
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi adc,

I had the same problem. My course was not an option in the excel template and my undergrad grading system doesnt fit too well either. So I e-mailed columbia about it and they asked me to just fax the real transcript instead.

adc_away wrote:
Sending in your transcripts or using the self-reporting Excel file? My understanding that it's an 'either or' option. However, in theory it would be much better to send in the actual transcript to avoid any complications?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
Hi adc,

I had the same problem. My course was not an option in the excel template and my undergrad grading system doesnt fit too well either. So I e-mailed columbia about it and they asked me to just fax the real transcript instead.

adc_away wrote:

You're from Australia right? Sorry, I can't really remember :P

Fax? I was told to send the originals. I'm thinking it's better to send the originals because sooner or later I would have to send them for verification when I'm accepted?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah thats correct, I am from Australia

I guess I will need to send them an original eventually. I will probably make a full "pack" and courier it along once I have it all ready.

For now, still grinding through those essays ...

adc_away wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Hi adc,

adc_away wrote:

You're from Australia right? Sorry, I can't really remember :P

Fax? I was told to send the originals. I'm thinking it's better to send the originals because sooner or later I would have to send them for verification when I'm accepted?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did my undergrad in Lebanon and my grad work in Canada. Both institutions have different grading systems. Columbia is requesting applicants to do the conversion themselves. Well, an 80% at one institution isn't the same as an 80% at another. I think Columbia is the only school that is requesting this. And it seems pretty stupid. I am contemplating not even applying just for their approach to the matter.

Do any of you have any opinions on the matter?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm sweating it out over Columbia's Essay 2 - the Dean Glenn Hubbard speech... everything else has been drafted and is currently being fine tuned, but i'm hitting a road block here.. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
havent heard anything on this tread for a while. Just wanted to check-in and see how everyone is doing?

Review for ED starts in 9 days....and it feels like such a short time with so many things to cover.

I am a re-applicant, so I just have one essay, but I am still stressing. Am about 70% done with my first draft, which means I am about 40% done with the entire process!

Hope others are doing better than me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've written one essay (And I think I'll have to redo it). Working on the essay about 21st century MBA. I don't think I'll be done before the end of the month. I am spending very little time on the essays every day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What 21st century mba essay are you doing!?

I don't remember any of the topics talking about a 21st century MBA... have they changed the questions again?

:(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In a recent speech delivered to the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Dean Glenn Hubbard discussed the new, essential elements of the 21st century MBA. How will your MBA prepare you for a rapidly changing business environment (Recommended 500 word limit)?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42