Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Prema

It would be helpful if you would please post in a seperate thread. It would help members who have similar questions. :)

thanks
Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Near Elite? [#permalink]
Kudos
Has Babson made a jump to the near elite group of schools, I noticed it was ranked 26th by business week. I was also wondering how it was regarded by investment management firms?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Not sure about analysis... I think for that you really gotta be a Wharton or UChicago person, but if you want general managment of finance they are tops at Fidelity Investments. President of Fidelity Brokerage Company, Elyan McColgan is a Babson grad.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bason MBA 1yr vs. 2yr [#permalink]
Kudos
Can anyone please comment on this further? I will be applying soon and still undecided on program.

ps- was the separate thread ever posted? Under which category should it be posted?

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Babson College [#permalink]
Given Babson's overall ranking and #1 entrepreneurial ranking, I believe it should be in the near elite category. Their Undergraduate program is in the top 25.
CTO
CTO
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: Babson College [#permalink]
i like babson, but from what i hear the only "negative" is that babson is only known for entp...?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
I did extensive research on schools in the north eastern region for part-time MBA program and Babson clearly stands out way better than many of the schools I evaluated included. I was locked between NYU, Tepper and Babson. So I ended up making a class visit to all the three schools ( and few others such as Fordham, BC and BU ). It was the class visit that helped me make my decision. During the class visit, I had chance to sit in an entire class, interact with the students and talk to faculty. Babson stood out so much ahead of others. Maturity level of students in the program are very high. I was taken back by how immature NYU students were .. they didn't know what did they want to accomplish from their MBA, their responses were so incoherent. I also found the classes very interactive in Babson and students were very involved. Number of students in the class at Babson ( I think it was something like 25 - 30 ) also impressed me over other schools - primarily again NYU and Tepper. In case of NYU I think there were easily over 80 people in the class and hardly any real interaction.

The class I participated at Babson was about 'corporate entrepreneurship' ( I may have the course name wrong ) - but it was about thinking as an entrepreneur in the corporate world as opposed to typical entrepreneurs we talk who start their own business. So to your point about Babson being only specialized in Entrepreneurship - my take, from the class participation, was Babson looks at entrepreneurship very differently from typical greenfield entrepreneurship.

My suggestion is to go and attend the classes, interact with the students to get a better feeling of whether you want to be part of that program or not. Fordham, BU and BC was easy to eliminate right away once I attended a info session - they had some of the current students talk with us and I really found those students very short sighted.

You have to keep in mind that in MBA you learn from your peers much more than from your teachers, so it is very important you are in the highly motivated and mature students crowd.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Babson is where rich families send their kids
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Concentration: Sales, General Management, Operations
Schools:Babson
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
Send PM
Why Babson is #1 in Entrepreneurship, but ranked low in BW [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rankings differ in the metrics they use to grade schools. The methodology for BW rankings is explained here (https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 640958.htm).

1. Why is Babson ranked #39 on BW rankings?

Source: https://www.businessweek.com/interactive ... _1111.html

The BW ranking indicates that Babson students gave faculty (across streams) an A in teaching quality. For perspective, of the top tier schools in this ranking (30 in total), 12 received Bs and Cs from their students, including 7 of the Top 10 MBA programs. This indicates that it is not the teaching quality or resources alone that dictate the ranking for a school and certainly a lack of quality is not the reason for Babson's ranking.

In contrast to the above, Babson received a C in two areas: recruiter assessment of a candidate's analytical skills and career services.

There are some key reasons for this, in my opinion. The Babson MBA is a one of the smallest programs in the US with an annual graduation number of roughly around 150 - 165 candidates (including One Year MBA). It is also not selective to the extent of top 10 schools and average GMAT scores are almost 80-100 points below top schools. Key reasons (from my personal experience at Babson) are that students are more street-smart as compared to book-smart and largely come from business family or self-owned business backgrounds where business skills are emphasized more than academic skills.

Both these factors (size of program and type of student) contribute to companies in traditional MBA recruitment areas not making a large effort to recruit at Babson or to recruit in large numbers. A graduate is given help through career services (which is being actively ramped up as we speak), but is largely dependent on the (comparatively small) Babson network and a smaller pool of companies to land a position in the industry. Given Babson has one of the largest international classrooms in the US (41% international in the Class of 2012), and given the well-documented challenges for US work visas, a majority of international students (who choose to go into the industry) have struggled with placements due to this aspect as well.

2. Why Babson is #1 in entrepreneurship?

In my discussion with students around campus, the following key reasons emerged as contributing factors to the entrepreneurial culture at Babson.

a. Background of students that Babson MBA attracts

A majority of incoming MBA students come from family or self-owned business backgrounds from various countries. I don't have hard numbers on the overall class, but in my experience (I'm an Indian), from 9 Indian students in my two year MBA class, 6 have family or self-run business backgrounds. The numbers are similar or trending upwards if you consider second year students and one year MBA students.

I also have entrepreneurs from New Zealand, Chile, Mexico and the US amongst other countries represented in my class. This demographic, combined with the business focused strong undergrad program creates an environment where small business thought is fostered actively.

b. Curriculum

While major schools teach entrepreneurship as a concentration or a stream, Babson imbibes entrepreneurship into every aspect of the program. The first year of the MBA is divided into four Modules: Creative Management in Dynamic Organizations, Assessing Business Opportunities, Designing and Managing the Delivery System and Managing Business in a Changing Global Environment.

Each of these modules conditions you to creatively identify opportunities in an entrepreneurial or intrapreneurial manner and develop those ideas using well-defined frameworks.

Classes are taught using business cases that give you broad insights into the practices of small businesses and the second year electives (including Marketing for Entrepreneurs, Managing Growing Businesses, M&A for Entrepreneurs) offer an in depth view into small business issues and the viewpoint of small business owners. This goes beyond the current level of entrepreneurial teaching at peer schools, as things stand.

c. Environment at school

- School facilitated

The Arthur M. Blank center is the nerve center for entrepreneurship at Babson. It has recently setup the Babson Venture Accelerator Program that places new business ideas into different levels (depending on the maturity of idea and execution plans) and provides facilities including office space and mentoring. Different programs including Rocket Pitch competitions, Summer Venture Program, partnerships with Angel and Venture circles and limited funding also add to the facilities offered to kick start your business while in school.

Furthermore, under the leadership of President Schlesinger and Dean Tadepalli (who are very approachable, even on a personal level), the school is delivering on "Entrepreneurial Thought and Action". Few of the recent developments include leasing of campus space in downtown San Francisco.

- Student driven

As I mentioned, the peer group (grads and undergrads) comprises a high percentage of current or future entrepreneurs. You are constantly exchanging and collaborating over business ideas. Often, as in the case of Big Belly Solar (to name one example), there is a direct collaboration between the Grad school and Undergrad engineering program at the independent Olin Engineering school to develop prototypes and products. Babson places the most number of entries into the BW Top 25 entrepreneur lists. Some of the contemporary businesses that have caught the public attention include Gemvara, IdeaPaint, RetireLife, True Fit Corporation et al.

I hope this answers the question sufficiently. I will be happy to connect with anyone who has any queries.

I'd again like to stress that rankings are a single data point and one needs to really understand the ethos of a school to understand what it stands for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Dear Prospective MBA Students,

On behalf of the F.W. Olin Graduate School of Business at Babson College, we would like to invite you to join us at our information session held in Hyderabad. Babson’s MBA program has been ranked as #1 in entrepreneurship for 18 consecutive years and has been ranked as # 39 by Business Week in its most recent rankings. Our faculty was given a top grade, A, in teaching quality by our graduates.
This is a great opportunity to meet with the professors, local alumni and current students, and learn more about the MBA programs offered at Babson.

Event details:
Date: 7th January, 2012
Time: 2:00 to 5:00 PM
Venue: Taj Krishna, Road No.1,
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad - 500 034
To register for this event, please email lkancharla1@babson.edu or kkonaparthi1@babson.edu
We hope to see you there!
Attachments

Babson_Revised.jpg
Babson_Revised.jpg [ 406.14 KiB | Viewed 14605 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3