Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,
Is there any specific reason why all of you are applying in R2? I am considering UNC as one of my first choice school. I am applying to UNC in 1st round.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am debating between Cornell or UNC for R1. I am going to visit each, I think.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ayan.ghosh wrote:
Hi,
Is there any specific reason why all of you are applying in R2? I am considering UNC as one of my first choice school. I am applying to UNC in 1st round.

Early Action Round( Deposit Deadline Jan 04 )

Kenan is a backup school for those targeting Ultra/Elites!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
ayan.ghosh wrote:
Hi,

The reason I am applying for R2 is because UNC requires a "significantly higher deposit" upon acceptance of their offer in the EA round. Since UNC releases the decisions for R1 in December, I won't know about the acceptance and maybe scholarships from other schools. But if UNC were my top choice, I would definitely apply in R1 like you are planning to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
EA question [#permalink]
so if one applies EA on 10/27 and decisions are released by 12/10 do you all think it would be a waste of money to apply to a few other schools in R1? my concenrs are that if i apply EA R1 to UNC and a few other schools for R1 and I am accepted to UNC then i waisted some application $$, alternatively if I apply to UNC EA and dont apply anywhere else for R1 but wait for R2 for other schools and then i dont get into UNC did i miss opporutnities with other schools by waiting until R2?.....thoughts, commets??

cheers
Current Student
Send PM
Re: EA question [#permalink]
sumbawa25 wrote:
so if one applies EA on 10/27 and decisions are released by 12/10 do you all think it would be a waste of money to apply to a few other schools in R1? my concenrs are that if i apply EA R1 to UNC and a few other schools for R1 and I am accepted to UNC then i waisted some application $$, alternatively if I apply to UNC EA and dont apply anywhere else for R1 but wait for R2 for other schools and then i dont get into UNC did i miss opporutnities with other schools by waiting until R2?.....thoughts, commets??

cheers

Is UNC your top choice? If the answer to this question is yes, and you are not willing to spend time and money for other schools in R1, then don't apply to any other schools in R1. If you are denied in UNC, then applying to other schools in R2 will not put you in disadvantage. I don't know your situation but I am hoping for some scholarship money, so I will definitely take into consideration the amount offered by different schools before I decide where I want to go. That's why EA rounds that require an early commitiment to any school before decisions come out from the other ones I applied to will probably not work for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm in for R2 for the same reason as nervousgmat. For me, a lot is going to depend on scholarship offers, so I don't want to be obligated to UNC if they accept but don't offer any sort of scholarship. I'm all set up to fly across the country and visit in November.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interviewing at UNC tomorrow!
Wish me luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From what I can tell, you can apply early action, get in, and still not attend. You just need to make your decision by early january. They will tell you your financial aid award when they send their decision in December. So you will know how much they are willing to give you, but you won't be able to compare it to other school's offers unless they are offering the money in December.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Online chat [#permalink]
I attended an online chat with some of the admissions officers yesterday. It was pretty chaotic at first, b/c only 60 people were allowed in the chat room, so the UNC people couldn't get in for a while. Anyway, the chat was reasonably informative. Can't think of any special new information...applying earlier is better (x10 for the # of times it was asked). Mostly the UNC people seemed very nice, and handled the chaos very well. They said a transcript is available on the school website.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks, PaulK!
I'll check the chat transcript out :)
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
Thanks, PaulK!
I'll check the chat transcript out :)

No problem nervous. How'd your interview go?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
PaulK,

Interview went very well, thanks for asking! At UNC, all prospectives are inteviewed by the admissions staff, and quite frankly, I am convinced that this is the way to conduct the interviewing process. From personal experience, there is a HUGE difference between an interview conducted by a 2nd year student and a seasoned admission committee member. The latter is actually qualified to assess one's fit and accomplishments because of years of experience at looking at applications and dealing with professionals coming from a multitude of industries.

I am not sure how qualified a 2nd year student is to make recommendations about admission to the school. In my opinion, at the end, students make their decisions based on "I like this person" or "I don't like this person." Because of that, schools might lose high-quality people.

These are just my 2 cents :)
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Glad to hear it went well nervous. I'm flying out to NC in November to interview. I've never heard of second-year students doing the interviews. That seems like it wouldn't be nearly as effective. Anyway, congrats on a great interview. Now I get to wait a month to have mine.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
PaulK wrote:
Glad to hear it went well nervous. I'm flying out to NC in November to interview. I've never heard of second-year students doing the interviews. That seems like it wouldn't be nearly as effective. Anyway, congrats on a great interview. Now I get to wait a month to have mine.

PaulK,

It is actually a fairly common practice. Duke and UVA let 2nd years interview prospees.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good to know nervous. I'll be prepared when I interview at Duke the day after UNC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10