Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [23]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [1]
Send PM
Re: Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first [#permalink]
Kudos
shahnandan wrote:
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.

(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged
(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging’
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged

Almost picked bee but realized that B had remain not remained...

A: have is in the wrong place
B: two simple tenses work, but this is not the case in B
C: steadily declined is kinda akward and again this sentence still has the same problem as B... "remain"
D:I assume year is not in this sentence b/c of a typo. Anyway "have remained virtually unchanging" is akward and doesn't really make much sense.

E: is the only choice that makes any sense.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first [#permalink]
Kudos
nightwing79 wrote:
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.

A. have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
<-- the decline is not progressive any more so usage of have is incorrect also virtually remain sounds awkward.

B. declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged <-- virtually remain

C. steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged <-- remain unchanged implies that they are STILL unchanged, whereas we dont know what is now here. The answer could quite easily be C, because one can argue that E implies the rates are STILL unchanged (because of the usage of have).

D. declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanging <-- the usage of unchanging seems incorrect to me

E. declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged

My answer is E and I'd eliminate all but E and C. This one's a toughie +1
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
TomB wrote:

(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged

(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged

(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged

(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging'

(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged

answer with explanation

OA is E. Very interesting question. Here's how I'm thinking through it:

Step 1) I read "Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year"

So far looks ok. I take a quick look at the answer choices and see that they are testing me on "have declined" Vs "declined steadily" VS "steadily declined"

Well, (A) shows "have declined during the first six months"--this implies that this declining started in the beginning of the year (in the past) and continues to the present--which presumably would be now in month #6.

So looks ok so far.

Step 2) Then we keep reading: "but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months."

"During the next three months" ???---wait a minute. It's using a past tense "remained unchanged" when referencing something that happens for the next three months. Since we assumed the present was now in month #6, then the next three months would be month #7-9.

But they used past tense "remained unchanged" when referencing something that was really in the future (relative to month #6).

Something must be wrong!

If they're going to word it like this--you're going to need to get rid of the "have" in "have declined"--because this is conflicting with other clues in the sentence.

Step 3) "declined steadily" VS "steadily declined"
Well, one's not that much better than the other..so let's keep looking for other clues. We know we are now operating in the past tense since all remaining answer choices are in the past tense.

Step 4) "remain virtually unchanged" Vs "have remained virtually unchanged" when referencing the "next 3 months"

Since we know we are in the past tense--we cannot use "remain virtually unchanged"--this is actually present tense. The "-ed" in the word "unchanged" might lead some to believe that it's past tense--but actually "unchanged" is used as an adjective---not a verb.

So we need to eliminate "remain virtually unchanged" as well as "virtually remain unchanged" in (B) and (C).

Step 5) Now it's between (D) and (E).

"remained virtually unchanging" or "remained virtually unchanged"

This is an easy one. Clearly (D) doesn't make sense--only (E) makes sense.

So choose (E) as your final answer and move on!

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged.....

present perfect tense is use for up to now but how could be true ! confusing question
if both happen in the past why we must use p.p ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Can anyone explain the exact meaning difference

declined steadily VS steadily declined
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 630 Q46 V31
Send PM
shahnandan wrote:

(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging'

Hello experts,

In option E, " declined steadily" is mentioned. Isn't that incorrect? shouldn't it be "steadily declined" ? because of this reasoning I was confused between C & E, but picked E because it had the right tense.

Bunuel @chetanu
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Blair15 wrote:
shahnandan wrote:

Hello experts,

In option E, " declined steadily" is mentioned. Isn't that incorrect? shouldn't it be "steadily declined" ? because of this reasoning I was confused between C & E, but picked E because it had the right tense.

Bunuel @chetanu

Hello Blair15,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, although "adverb + verb" is the preferred construction, "verb + adverb" is also acceptable.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts