Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also [#permalink]
Also...What do you think would be a an appropriate list of schools for me to apply to... reach... probables... and possibles... I thought i devised a good list with wharton and columbia as reaches... Duke, mich, and UVA as possibles... and usc texas and georgetown as probables.... thoughts??
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Also [#permalink]
Jtgu04 wrote:
Also...What do you think would be a an appropriate list of schools for me to apply to... reach... probables... and possibles... I thought i devised a good list with wharton and columbia as reaches... Duke, mich, and UVA as possibles... and usc texas and georgetown as probables.... thoughts??

Jtgu04,

Most people go to business school to change careers; school have no problem with that, but you have to show them you know where you want to go as credibly as you can.

I can't recommend schools because you didn't mention post-MBA goals. Also, are you asking what schools you could get into if you apply while unemployed?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes... I am... I have signed up for some undergrad courses in stat and accounting in my home town where there are not a lot of job options.. I do not want to take these classes if it will not help...Would it be more important for me to find another job??? Is my current unemployment a Big negative?? I am starting to feel discouraged...

Post MBA plans
Advancement in my current field is impossible without a graduate degree, either Phd or MBA. While I enjoyed what I did at the time, I did not see myself working in research and development the rest of my life and so decided not to pursue an Phd. Again the main reason for getting an MBA is to switch careers. The aspects of my job I enjoyed most was the quantitative components and business development. I want to be able to utilize my technical knowledge of the biotech industry combined with the business knowledge of an MBA and work as an analyst evaluating new companies and technologies for an investment banking firm.

Agains thanks,
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jtgu04 wrote:
Yes... I am... I have signed up for some undergrad courses in stat and accounting in my home town where there are not a lot of job options.. I do not want to take these classes if it will not help...Would it be more important for me to find another job??? Is my current unemployment a Big negative?? I am starting to feel discouraged...

Post MBA plans
Advancement in my current field is impossible without a graduate degree, either Phd or MBA. While I enjoyed what I did at the time, I did not see myself working in research and development the rest of my life and so decided not to pursue an Phd. Again the main reason for getting an MBA is to switch careers. The aspects of my job I enjoyed most was the quantitative components and business development. I want to be able to utilize my technical knowledge of the biotech industry combined with the business knowledge of an MBA and work as an analyst evaluating new companies and technologies for an investment banking firm.

Agains thanks,

Jtgu04,

Yes, taking those classes are fine but applying after a long spell of unemployment, especially when you left the company (i.e., you weren't downsized along with 30 others) is a big negative. You don't need to get a job that's connected with your post-MBA goal, but you need to get some leadership and impact experiences to wow the admissions committees. In the meantime, you can start networking with people in IB, join some relevant organizations, and sink your teeth into a leadership role in your extracurricular life.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]