Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I looked at the profiles at www.gradjournal.com. I would say your GPA are quite in line with those who were accepted to some of the programs, although your GMAT is on the low-side.

However, your strength would be your research experience and publications.

Regarding approaching the profs, I suggest you try to contact them thru your recommenders. I find such networking pretty effective. Another group of people that you can approach to network for you would be profs who graduated from the program recently. Talk to them to find out about the programs and they might help you to connect to some other people.

Alternatively, you can contact the prof directly, saying you are applying to the program and have read this paper of his, and you have some thoughts about it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Whoa, that's a useful site! Thanx! But a look at all the credentials also convinced me that it would be nice to boost my GMAT as a bit of added security. Guess I'll dig in and try some hardcore studying for a month and pull my quant up even more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think it is a bad idea for you to redo the GMAT. But you may need to get at least 750 to make the new score meaningful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
tkkoh wrote:
I don't think it is a bad idea for you to redo the GMAT. But you may need to get at least 750 to make the new score meaningful.

I don't know what your aspirations are.... but i think it is a bad idea to redo the gmat. it will move your focus in this crucial time from networking with professors, consolidate your research interest and prepare an excellent case for your admission to doing the gmat. and don't underestimate the risk that you might get a lower score.... and the fact that some 750+ were admitted doesn's say much, those were also rejected by others. and evne in gradjournal you can ee people getting accepted with sub700 scores.

so in my view - the risk is to high, the gain from redoing gmat is too low, and you spend valuable time that you should invest in other things (reading papers related to your research, for example).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hobbit:

The risk is actually pretty high... I looked at my precentages again and my Q is at 77%, so a 3% increase, not to mention getting at least to a 750 level to adjust for the +-30 rule... well...

On gradjournal, it seems the only person that got into any of my first choices schools is you, in at UPenn with a 780 :roll: Then again, NYU rejected three people, 2 with above 750, and a third with GRE scores, which I'm not sure how to translate to an equivalent GMAT score. I'm hoping more people upload their profiles for a more complete picture...

In my head I know GMAT doesn't really count for *much* in the application process, but it's hard to shake away the what-ifs and not wanting to leave anything to chance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kumbaya wrote:

On gradjournal, it seems the only person that got into any of my first choices schools is you, in at UPenn with a 780 :roll: Then again, NYU rejected three people, 2 with above 750, and a third with GRE scores, which I'm not sure how to translate to an equivalent GMAT score. I'm hoping more people upload their profiles for a more complete picture...

but remember, that my same application was rejected by kellogg, haravard and even MIT - and i'm pretty sure these programs accepted some 730+- to their programs. i'm also sure that if i asked other students in mydepartment (i won't though...) - i'd find that wharton accepted someone at around 700-730 GMAT.

each program admits so few people, and there are only a handful of top programs, and gradjournal's statistics is still not established rnough to draw conclusions.

but i think the statistics will never be really established ad meaningful - after the initial screening, i think they don't look again on your gmat - and all decisions are made on an individual case basis, with gmat playing a minor role if at all.

also - i would suggest looking on the calendar. you have about 3-4 months. geting your gmat better will take you around 1-2 months to complete - which leaves you only 2 months to work on your applications seriously. how many applications you are going to make? ho much research you want to invest in choosing the right school? you need time to contact profs (if you'd like) and recommenders. it takes time.

2 months to create 4-5 good applications is not enough in my view.

so it is a tradeoff... you can improve your gmat. but i may cost you by reducing the quality of the SOP etc.... the latter are way more important in the application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hobbit:

Right this moment, a GMAT retake is floating further and further away as I just accepted another professor's offer to work on a paper... But I'm still taking half an hour each day to do 5-10 GMAT questions, just to stay warm... never know if an adcom might contact me and says "You know... we like you, but you should retake." What's 30 minutes out of the 18 hours that I'm awake :roll:

I figure if needed I can also assemble a small army of LORs from professors who I've worked with and liked what I did for them. Although maybe in this case less might be more?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts