Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Essay 4:
Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?

Can anybody help shed some light on this? is the key word new perspective or contribute? I've done a draft, but i'm not too sure whether i'm answering the question or not.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The way I approached Essay 4 was to describe two unique experiences, and what I learned from them. Then tying the experiences into Tuck, and two particular programs I'm interested in. My experiences have been in international consulting and development so I used them to tie into the int'l consulting program, and how I would contribute to the student body.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
The way I approached Essay 4 was to describe two unique experiences, and what I learned from them. Then tying the experiences into Tuck, and two particular programs I'm interested in. My experiences have been in international consulting and development so I used them to tie into the int'l consulting program, and how I would contribute to the student body.

That's something I'm pondering. How unique is unique? In general, I'm a pretty normal person, I haven't done anything exceptional when compared to others. I spoke to a student and he told me I would be better off writing about competitive pool vs. m entrepreneurship experiences as there are many entrepreneurs...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm looking at it more as what can you contribute to the school/student body. So, I'm stressing life experiences and perspectives learned from them. It may not be unique, but it should be interesting (I think the key thing is to write about something genuine)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
anybody done with the application yet? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
anybody done with the application yet? :)

I've finished Essays 2 & 4, revising 1 & 3...then it's time to start filling out the app. Have you finished?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've finished the draft for everything, reworking my essay 1 to fit in about 550 words. it's currently 621 words... although there isn't an actual limit, i think i should play safe and cut off at least another 50 words or so...

i'm done with the application - kinda easy since i'm a reapplicant. although some questions have been added....

will be sending in my financial aid later this week..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think Tucks word limits are a lot more relaxed...they recommend 500 words but its not a hard limit. If you can't get it within 10% without hurting the essay I would definitely go longer. They are one school that really puts an emphasis on getting a full understanding of everything about you as an applicant. So if you feel you need 600 words to convey everything I would go with it. I wouldn't get super wordy and go to 1,000 words but I am sure they have people that feel the need to do that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Has anyone found a hard copy of the reco forms? I'm prepping my app packet for my recos and can't seem to find a downloadable form.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
Has anyone found a hard copy of the reco forms? I'm prepping my app packet for my recos and can't seem to find a downloadable form.

yeap. on the right side of Online Application, click on "Downloadable Forms". called "Confidential Statement of Qualifications"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I think Tucks word limits are a lot more relaxed...they recommend 500 words but its not a hard limit. If you can't get it within 10% without hurting the essay I would definitely go longer. They are one school that really puts an emphasis on getting a full understanding of everything about you as an applicant. So if you feel you need 600 words to convey everything I would go with it. I wouldn't get super wordy and go to 1,000 words but I am sure they have people that feel the need to do that.

here (https://mba-benny.blogspot.com/2006/07/t ... e-out.html) T'08 says "Don´t go over the limit (500 words)". :(

I'm kinda concerned...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
elgo wrote:
shmegs wrote:

yeap. on the right side of Online Application, click on "Downloadable Forms". called "Confidential Statement of Qualifications"

Thanks Elgo!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Any updates anybody? Essay 1 to 5 + 6 (reapplicant essay) are pretty ok. Just working on the word limits. But I do like the fact that there aren't any "word limits" per se. So I'll probably leave one of my essays at 630 words as I find that any bits I remove just affect the flow and weakens the essay.

Although I said I would send in the financial aid, I have yet to do it :(

However, last year for R1, the financial aid deadline was deferred to a later date (if I recall correctly).

No submissions yet? We're getting close to the deadline....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
Any updates anybody? Essay 1 to 5 + 6 (reapplicant essay) are pretty ok. Just working on the word limits. But I do like the fact that there aren't any "word limits" per se. So I'll probably leave one of my essays at 630 words as I find that any bits I remove just affect the flow and weakens the essay.

Although I said I would send in the financial aid, I have yet to do it :(

However, last year for R1, the financial aid deadline was deferred to a later date (if I recall correctly).

No submissions yet? We're getting close to the deadline....

Finished third drafts of all Tuck essays sent them to be reviewed...will work on the app next weekend. Now it's time to finish the LBS essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Seems that there are only a handful applying to Tuck. That is good news! :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:

Tuck is a lot smaller than Kellogg, Wharton, Chicago, and all those schools. It gets about half the applicants of the larger top schools but the acceptance rate is still in the low 20s.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:

Looks like that... Have started to write essays for Tuck.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29