Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also you can ask some of your friends (who have got into the b-schhol )to share their application materials.
You can contact few current students of the school and request them to share their materials. Again this depends on your personal relationships, but still it gives you a better chance than going to consultants.
I agree with the previous poster that admission consultants should be your last option when everything else fails. Goodluck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is an issue that polarizes people to one of the two extremes. People either swear by admission consultants because they see great value or they swear at them because they are dissatisfied with the service they received. The truth, as with most situations in life, is in between.

A good consultant can definitely help you polish your application and can give you that extra push to succeed. But there are too many fly-by-night consultants who either have no clue about the process or have little time to pay you the level of attention you need.

My take:To start with, educate yourself thoroughly about the admissions process. Read this forum until you become sick, get the montauk book on admissions and paul's book on essay writing. Soak in all the information and master this whole application thing, atleast in theory. Then, play the field and talk to as many consultants as you can. You will be in a far better position to judge if he/she will be able to help you or not. Also, when you decide on a consultant, talk to the actual person who will be working with you and not with some marketing person.

Good luck with your apps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I agree with ncprasad, people that use consultants and get admits swear by them. People that get dinged feel like they are scam artists.

Personally I couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars for their services since in my mind very few really provide anything spectacular. There is enough information available online, in books, and at events to get a great understanding of how to present your applications. You can find an essay editing service for far less money that will critique the writing but not content of your essays. You are much better off having friends or family do it. You can also make friends with other applicants and swap essays and help each other.

Research who you hire very carefully and really have an understanding of your chances before committing to applying to HBS or Stanford because they say you have a shot.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally,
I think this forum is a much better guide than any admission consultant. Use this forum until you can say with eyes blindfolded when was the last time ncprasad had biriyani.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you guys! I am seriously re-considering my options, although a lot of the inputs you provided have somehow deterred me from hiring one. Obviously any kind of advices provided by the consultant will have to be taken with a grain of salt. But then again, this kind of practice really defeats the purpose of contacting the admission consultants at the first place :)

In any case, thanks again for the input. The biriyani joke is funny as hell ... there is no way I can tell when ncprasad had his biriyani :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Re: Admission Consultant Services? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Admission Consultant Services? [#permalink]