Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
raptr wrote:
What happens if you run out of "plastic sheets"? Also, is it a fine point type of marker, or more like a highlighter :)?

Thanks

its a fine point marker. you can raise your hand and get a new set of sheets if needed.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I suggest you practice using scrap paper sparingly. You don't want to rely on the proctors to bring you a new pad. Their work ethic is not always consistent.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have been doing that. However, despite my GMAT instructor's advice, I never practiced with a fine points sharpie - always with a lead pencil.

However, it feels good to know that there is at least one aspect of this test where there are no limitations :))
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
raptr wrote:
I have been doing that. However, despite my GMAT instructor's advice, I never practiced with a fine points sharpie - always with a led pencil.

However, it feels good to know that there is at least one aspect of this test where there are no limitations :))

From this point foward, practice all your scrap paper stuff using a fine point marker. Get your hand a little dirty. Get used to it now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I didn't even come close to using up the sheets, there is plenty. I don't really see the need to worry about practicing with a marker unless you are a lefty at which point you drag your hand across it smudging things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
They gave me 10 pages with a fine tip pen. If you would use more than 10 pages then you are not following efficient methods to solve the problems
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="dahcrap"]They gave me 10 pages with a fine tip pen. If you would use more than 10 pages then you are not following efficient methods to solve the problems[/quote]

10 pages/sheets should do. It is not the efficiency of solving the problems, it is more of a psychological thing. I, like many others, like to have more "open space" to write on. I think it positively affects my thought process:) Plus, I also need the pad for CR and RC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [1]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
riverripper wrote:
I didn't even come close to using up the sheets, there is plenty. I don't really see the need to worry about practicing with a marker unless you are a lefty at which point you drag your hand across it smudging things.

Well said. I'm a left and i faced the same issue. Just take care if you are left.y
Just one important point: Make sure that you keep your marker closed with the cap. It dires out pretty early and you can have some problems with the restart :)..And yes, regarding scratch pad, dont worry you will have plenty of those...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Another thing to add: you're not allowed to erase anything! I had gotten into the habit during practice where I erased bad attempts or wrong numbers so that I wouldn't confuse myself. However, I was told at the testing center that you're not allowed to erase anything on the sheets.

And I agree with everyone who said that there are plenty of pages. The book that I had at my testing center consisted of 6 sheets of laminated, legal-size, yellow graph paper. I used it to jot down ideas for the AWA essays and then for the quant. section. I barely used 3 sheets (double-sided).

I must say that I was very relieved about the sheets and the quality of the pen (fine-point) since I had heard horror stories about people receiving what were basically dry erase boards of the kind that we used to hang on our dorm room doors and fat dry erase markers that were half dried up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
So, it is possible (physically) to erase stuff from the sheets? Meaning, it is not a permanent marker.
If I ask for an extra marker or extra sheets in the beginning, will they give me?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
raptr wrote:
So, it is possible (physically) to erase stuff from the sheets? Meaning, it is not a permanent marker.
If I ask for an extra marker or extra sheets in the beginning, will they give me?

you can physically erase, but theres nothing to erase with but your fingers. they wont give you extras at the beginning. you have to trade used ones for new ones.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
If you're left handed, work from the top left to the bottom left and then move progressively to the right side of the board. that way, you don't end up with smudged hands.
And when you practice, make sure you put paper management into the equation. That way, you don't have to sit around cursing while the proctor take his or her time replacing your set of white boards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Feedback on the paper [#permalink]
Kudos
I saw a lot of posts on the scratch paper and pens provided at the test facility of and got a bit concerned about it.

However its not that bad and actually quite ok. Does get messy since the ink rubs off on your hands if you rest it on the pad. The pad is a limated sheet of grid paper. The pens are fine point marker pens, much like the the stradlers available in officemax or staples. They reuse the pens so make sure you test it out. You can take as many as you want and they will replace the pads if you raise your hand. Also earplugs, headphones and tissue papers were available at my test facility.

If youre really worried, I believe you can but replicas of the paper and pen on Amazon. A company also sells them as prep material called "Endless notes" https://www.gettingtogradschool.com/MBA-Business_School/GMAT-Study_Material.htm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
It's interesting, I wasn't told that I wasn't allowed to erase anything. I smudged only a couple of times when I miswrote a number or something. The marker is similar to a vis-a-vis or any other overhead marker. It rubs off a little on your hand, but comes off easily with liquid .. well, given the circumstances, saliva. The sheets themselves surprised me a little bit because they're I think, pretty close to legal size (longer) pages. I ended up using the booklet horizontally. When I practiced, I always put the keyboard out of the way after the AWA and put my scratch paper in its place. I made sure to ask first, but they had no problem with me putting the keyboard up on the PC when I did my quant. section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
entranced wrote:
It's interesting, I wasn't told that I wasn't allowed to erase anything. I smudged only a couple of times when I miswrote a number or something. The marker is similar to a vis-a-vis or any other overhead marker. It rubs off a little on your hand, but comes off easily with liquid .. well, given the circumstances, saliva. The sheets themselves surprised me a little bit because they're I think, pretty close to legal size (longer) pages. I ended up using the booklet horizontally. When I practiced, I always put the keyboard out of the way after the AWA and put my scratch paper in its place. I made sure to ask first, but they had no problem with me putting the keyboard up on the PC when I did my quant. section.

For me, the proctor hersefl put the kepboard away and made room for the scrathcpad after my AWA. That was bit of a surprise to me. Anyway people taking GMAT should stop worryiong about scratch pads and markers. I have seen few people who take this very seriously and get tensed up unnecessarily.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am one of those few people. And yes, you are right - the sheets and the marker are fine and there should be no issues with them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Sweatshirt [#permalink]
Kudos
Here's an idea I used for my Series 7 exam.

I wore a hoodie sweatshirt to the exam, and when I ran out of space on my sheets I simply wiped my shirt arm across it to erase. Presto! New sheet w/o waiting for those proctors to come around. Time is precious.

Just a thought...
GMAT Club Bot
Sweatshirt [#permalink]
 1   2   3