Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I went to the CBS Info Session in Miami last night, and it was pretty informative. There was a lot of local alumni there, all of whom are already tremendously successful!

The adcom who was there did tell us that if your recommender(s) ask you to write your recommendation, you either did not give them enough lead time or you should not use them. He says that he busts people all the time because after reading thousands upon thousands of essays and recs, he can pick up on peoples' writing styles precisely. To remedy this situation, he said, make sure you give your recommender two months notice, if possible, and give them an outline of your achievements. They don't have a problem with you giving input, as long as the recommender writes the rec.

Also, I spoke with a lot of the prospectives and surprisingly a lot of them seemed behind the 8-ball. For example, some still have not taken the GMAT, and there were even a lot of recent college grads! I hope this bodes well for us.

Congrats to those who have submitted their app already! Mine is about a week or two away from completion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hijacking the thread here for a moment.
Both my recommenders sent me their copies as a pdf document for me to read after I had sent out my columbia recommendations yesterday by mail. They wanted me to know what they had written (even though I had created outlines and drafts for them in the first place)

1. They used their own material and not my draft - which is good.

2. One senior recommender's letter was tempered and used adjectives like well, good, nice, while the other recommender with whom I have worked more often and professionally quite close has used a plethora of adjectives as exemplary, excellent and extremely (she used extremely 3 times in 3 different questions - extremely enthusiastic, extremely positive attitude and extremely high standards). That got me worried.

The balance between the 2 letters is a bit screwed.. Is that something the ad-com is going to notice?? and would they notice the liberal use of the word extremely??? The only advantage I can think of is that the recommender loves using the word extremely and it shows up in the letter as her own writing style.

Any comments on this.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Dabots, River, Dosa, Bherronp...et al, I am talking to YOU. Dont apply to Ross. Its a really bad school. Mrs.mNeo said that their alumni are boring. Surely, you guys are not boring. So WHY are you applying?

:evil:

Don't worry my wife wont be able to find a job in the area so that immediately knocks it out of contention.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I received a packet from my ex-colleague. It had a print-out of my essays, and her comments on almost every line. Her comments are just beautiful .. and make me realize how lacking my essays really are. Unfortunately her comments reached me a few days too late.

So count me out of running for Columbia :( . Now I know that if Columbia admits me, then that would be despite my essays. Well, the good news is that I can incorporate her suggestions for W/S much earlier.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not necessarily.....

This is the ED round. I bet most applicants will be in the same boat as you or me. The more our essays get reviewed the better they become.

You will be better prepared for the next school. But so will be the others

Using my CR skills.

ps.. somebody please comment on my recommendation dilemma.. I am chewing my finger nails.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
ps.. somebody please comment on my recommendation dilemma.. I am chewing my finger nails.

Aviroop, I think you are ok. The AD knows that applicants typically have very little control over their recs. I think you are in a much better position than someone whose reces soundsed a whole lot similar.

The most important thing is for few key ideas to get across: leadership, managerial, etc. etc.

So, I wouldnt sweat it. Plus, there is not much you can do about it anyways.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
Dabots, River, Dosa, Bherronp...et al, I am talking to YOU. Dont apply to Ross. Its a really bad school. Mrs.mNeo said that their alumni are boring. Surely, you guys are not boring. So WHY are you applying?

:evil:

Don't worry my wife wont be able to find a job in the area so that immediately knocks it out of contention.

1 down. 2 to go.

dabots, dosa : Give it up. I am the borg... Resistance is futile... You... will be assimilated.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Not necessarily.....

This is the ED round. I bet most applicants will be in the same boat as you or me. The more our essays get reviewed the better they become.

You will be better prepared for the next school. But so will be the others

Using my CR skills.

Aviroop,

What about the content? Temperate or not, do they go into detail about you, and how comprehensive is that detail? "Good" and "nice" are fine if they are used as follows (I do not know what you do, so this is hypothetical):

"Aviroop's interpersonal skills are good. In our line of business we do not need the greatest communication skills, but Aviroop certainly has those skills. He is extremely well-spoken in meetings with executives, he is a extremely well-liked amongst his peers, and he communicates tasks extremely well to his subordinates."

Suddenly "good" becomes great without even using that word. Now if the recommender uses "good" as follows then you might want to head that recommender off at the pass:

"Aviroop's interpersonal skills are good. He works well with his peers, subordinates, and supervisors. Were the tables turned, I would enjoy working for Aviroop."

That is a short and not sweet answer to an entire CBS rec question. "Good" is not so good anymore. There was no meat to that recommendation. At that point, the adcom is going to look to the other rec and other areas of your app to balance that, as opposed to that rec being a strong point.

My guess, I think you are good to go. Both recommenders cared enough to show it to you, and that is a good sign. Plus you picked up on their writing style; it is hard to get a sense of writing style when it is bland. Keep the faith!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I received a packet from my ex-colleague. It had a print-out of my essays, and her comments on almost every line. Her comments are just beautiful .. and make me realize how lacking my essays really are. Unfortunately her comments reached me a few days too late.

So count me out of running for Columbia :( . Now I know that if Columbia admits me, then that would be despite my essays. Well, the good news is that I can incorporate her suggestions for W/S much earlier.

Don't count yourself out until you are out. One of my frat bros, an HBS grad, sent in three apps: H/S/K. Dinged at Stanford and Kellogg before he heard back from Harvard. He though, "Crap, I am not getting in anywhere, Harvard was my first and worst app!" All I have to say is, little did he know.

Since then he has pulled out the proverbial red pen on my essays, but considering he graduated from HBS, I think it is in my best interest to take his suggestions.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
djhouse.
Thank you for the comments.

Both recommenders, especially my senior manager backed up every sentence with an example.

He started writing .Aviroop displayed solid team-skills,, blah blah.. by working late on projects, helping team -mates carry out admin tasks.. (routine stuff).
He talked about stuff I did at work..

Same for my other recommender..

Both used examples, plenty of them, to back up every of their adjectives.
I am thankful of that, except my prior concern was the overuse of adjectives.
You have cleared all my issues with your post.

Both did what was asked - in terms of giving examples and not routine bland statements with tons of adjectives that are not backed up with proof.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
sounds like you're fine Avi... I think it's the examples that count, not which adjectives they use. As long as they quantify your results some how (top 5%, best I've ever seen, etc...).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nc...I wish I could drop Ross but I am not really afraid of borg's.... :P

And its a desi friendly school- maybe the two of us can get in anyways. Dabots wont be coming to Ross as he will get into a higher ranked school :)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
submitted my application today. submitted first, then paid by credit card.. refreshed the page 3 times in 5 minutes out of anxiety...

1 done 4 more to go
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats avi. Join the anxious "Ctrl-F5" team.

Originally posted by mNeo on 13 Sep 2007, 11:15.
Last edited by mNeo on 13 Sep 2007, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
avi, congratulations. Now the nail biting begins...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok I am extremely frustrated and feeling totally helpless !
The only thing that is delaying my submission is my 2nd reco. Gave the pointers 1.5 months ago, reminded every two weeks and still nothing's done :(
Seriously, at this point I have no clue as to how to proceed. Well figured the forum would be the best place for me to vent my frustration.

God help me.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad, check politely if he has second thoughts. ALso, see if you can line up another recommender.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  42