Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 [#permalink]
HBS asks the recommendors to write only 1 page recos. In this case, which font and size should be used by the recomendors?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
abhishek.sardana wrote:
HBS asks the recommendors to write only 1 page recos. In this case, which font and size should be used by the recomendors?

Are you talking about the paper recommendation? think that the online recommendation is a little more extensive (multiple choice questions and 3 essays)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Wrote my global issue essay last night, the last one I needed to do. It is terrrrrrrrible. I think I might have to pick one of the other choices. Ugh.
Director
Director
Send PM
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

Are you talking about the paper recommendation? think that the online recommendation is a little more extensive (multiple choice questions and 3 essays)

how do u know ? :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

I am talking about the online recos only. They have notified "recommendations larger than 1 page are discouraged".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I showed my essays to one of my colleagues and his comment on the career vision was the following - I have talked about things in terms of how I want to start in an investment management position and then grow and open my firm. From then on, I talk about my firm's placement in the market and how I believe it can really stand out. So, his comment is when the essay is asking you to talk about *your* work in the company and not what the company will do.

I am a little confused. Any suggestions?
Director
Director
Send PM
aurobindo wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

how do u know ? :wink:

The recommender essay questions are available here:
https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/writtenapplication.html
Director
Director
Send PM
saurabh357 wrote:
I showed my essays to one of my colleagues and his comment on the career vision was the following - I have talked about things in terms of how I want to start in an investment management position and then grow and open my firm. From then on, I talk about my firm's placement in the market and how I believe it can really stand out. So, his comment is when the essay is asking you to talk about *your* work in the company and not what the company will do.

Honestly, I think that you are fine. You already know how you want your company to shape out and you even seem to have narrowed down on your USPs. I think that's pretty fantastic. If you establish your own company, your job is going to be to well...run it. I don't think you need to be telling ad-com how exactly you intend to do that. On the other hand, if you were talking about *joining* an established firm and then working your way up, then I guess what you intend to do inside the organization needs to be outlined. Just my thoughts...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
Well, guys, I have recently passed my TOEFL and have to wait for the score. During HBS's application I found this note: "The MBA Admissions Board discourages any candidate with a TOEFL score lower than 267 on the CBT or 109 on the IBT from applying."

What if I get 107 or 108 on my TOEFL? Shall I apply in R1 or retake it and apply in R2? :) The schools seem to have draconian rules for TOEFL but not for GMAT that has a range of scores (not minimum score) :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Believe me, if you know passable English, getting a score a score above 109 in IBT should be a no brainer...I wouldnt worry if I were you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
saurabh357 wrote:
Believe me, if you know passable English, getting a score a score above 109 in IBT should be a no brainer...I wouldnt worry if I were you

Ok. Thank you. :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The Essay No.2 asks about what I have learnt from a mistake. I have a very good lesson but it is somehow connected with a death experience. Will this topic be off-limits or too personal. I know that a rule of thumb is that if it's inappropriate for dinner-party conversation, it probably doesn't belong in my essay. What do you think?
Director
Director
Send PM
nick_sun wrote:
The Essay No.2 asks about what I have learnt from a mistake. I have a very good lesson but it is somehow connected with a death experience. Will this topic be off-limits or too personal. I know that a rule of thumb is that if it's inappropriate for dinner-party conversation, it probably doesn't belong in my essay. What do you think?

Hmmm....I don't really agree with your 'Rule of Thumb'. I think certain personal details/experiences *can* go into the essay. Then again, it depends on whether you are comfortable putting them in your essay.
Director
Director
Send PM
nick_sun wrote:

Is learning some way related to success in life? I wonder whether HBS would be interested in our learnings in other contexts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
aurobindo wrote:
nick_sun wrote:

Is learning some way related to success in life? I wonder whether HBS would be interested in our learnings in other contexts.

It is hard to guess what will interest an adcom member in an essay and what will not. I would suggest you read your own essay and decide how you would feel if you were an adcom member (they are human too, and I doubt there is any extensive training to become adcom member). If you really like it it, you have a chance. If you sounds so so, you need to improve. If you don't like it yourself, take professional help ;-)

BTW, I'm not applying anywhere this year, because HBS is the top school for me and I feel i am not prepared enough to apply (Still feel my essays are so so, and that there is a limit on how much words can help, so working towards making the profile better) , though I'm done with GMAT (760) and have experience too.
Director
Director
Send PM
hbs.aspirant wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
nick_sun wrote:

It is hard to guess what will interest an adcom member in an essay and what will not. I would suggest you read your own essay and decide how you would feel if you were an adcom member (they are human too, and I doubt there is any extensive training to become adcom member). If you really like it it, you have a chance. If you sounds so so, you need to improve. If you don't like it yourself, take professional help ;-)

BTW, I'm not applying anywhere this year, because HBS is the top school for me and I feel i am not prepared enough to apply (Still feel my essays are so so, and that there is a limit on how much words can help, so working towards making the profile better) , though I'm done with GMAT (760) and have experience too.

I admire your approach about making profile better and then applying.

Yesterday, I was hearing a podcast in which HBS admissions MD was interviewed. The interviewer asked her, "Is there any right time to apply for MBA?"

I felt MD did not have an answer for that. She reframed the question to wrong time, and kept on saying when is the wrong time to apply.

That made me wonder, whether there is any right time to apply. IMHO, getting admission in a b-school is more of taking advantage of the present. Yes. For freshers it is a different ball game altogether.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
saurabh357 wrote:

I think he's suggesting you discuss a little more the types of roles you would like and less the type of industries. Just for the record, I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with his comments, just traslating what he may have meant.

L.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts