Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: scaled scoring [#permalink]
StartupAddict wrote:
Hey, that's hard to quantify :-)

Anyways the problem with the CAT, and predicting your score, is that the first 10 questions determine your level of difficulty.

sorta kinda. Hobbit has a good post explaining scoring. While it is true that the beginning questions you are dealing with a much bigger confidence interval, a significant portion of questions are experimental, and the order is random it can be a crap shoot. i.e. if n questions are experimental, your first n questions on test day could be experimental by random chance alone.

the algorithim is a trade secret and i think people should just approach every question with a seriousness of purpose. if you get your first 27 questions right, and the last ten questions all wrong, your score is going to tank. its really complicated... when i was prepping my scores were in the 700-730 range and i had all sorts of mistake distributions... so just don't worry about it. on test day one of my quant questions towards the middle asked me to find an angle measurement in an equilateral triangle. one of my last questions literally asked me the decimal equivalent of 2/3. i got a 48 in Q.

startupaddict is right, just learn all the concepts. because it is a standardized test, there are some basic concepts that every test taker is going to encounter in some form.

also, like startup said... powerprep and gmatprep are the best at predicting your score. i believe pp uses a truncated algorithim and gp use the same algorithim as the actual gmat. both tests even use experimental questions. IMHO, ARCO tests were the only 3rd party CATs that matched the GMAT in terms of difficulty and accuracy in scoring.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
while we are here... can someone explain the difference between GMATPrep and PowerPrep? When I google I hit the same pages for both... thanks!

Links to both practice test resources will be greatly appreciated.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe that PowerPrep is the old version of GMATPrep, but GMAC now only offers the latter. I'm not sure where to find PowerPrep these days. One thing I've also heard is that PowerPrep is easier and less representative of true GMAT scoring than GMATPrep.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]