Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
Re: Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for [#permalink]
younggun044 wrote:
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than

B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is

C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than

D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than

E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

C looks best for clarity.
I don't see anything with A, but C is clear.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
younggun044 wrote:
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than

B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is

C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than

D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than

E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

Well guys and gals......i do not see any reasoning explainations for the answers.
Not currently giving OA....since it might be wrong, as currently nobody has opted it (neither did I). But evrybody needs explainations to make sure correct logic is applied for choosing best answer. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
In my opinion, "that" is not required after "but".

I agree that GMAT is a hard nut to crack but practice can make you crack it.

I agree that GMAT is a hard nut to crack but that practice can make you crack it.

Between A and B, I would choose B.

- Brajesh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Only C looks correct to me. But I don't think 'that' is required in the beginning.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
C for me too

the idiom is to determine...

that...but ..that is needed to make it parallel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
younggun044 wrote:

I pick C.

I don't agree w/ "that" at the begining, but its the best otherwise.

A: was or was not is wordy. Placement of whether in the sentence near the begining as in C, would have made this sentence better.

B: whether this is the OA, use of "whether or not" is not permitted on the GMAT so this choice is out.

D: use of was all over this SC caused me to rule it out.
E: is or is not is wordy. why use this wordy awkward structure when whether establishes whether something is or isn't much better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
I go for C

"was or was not any better for heart attack patients than"

Regardless of the ambiguity of "was or was not", this part of the sentence has to be in present tense. This might not be very clear with the verb "to be", but if you replace "to be" with "to work", this becomes much clearer.

"more research was needed to determine that angioplasty worked better for heart patients" (?) - WRONG

"more research was needed to determine that angioplasty works better for heart patients - MUCH BETTER

This rules out A and D

B and E can be ruled out simply because of bad idiom: needed for determining, WRONG, the idiom is "need TO determine"

That leaves C as the correct answer.

What is OA?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Send PM
C ... my reason has been covered by the other brilliant folks on here.

I think you need "that" to make the sense of the sentence be clearly understood.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well my set shows answer "A" as OA. But i think "C" is correct.
OA can be wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Send PM
younggun044 wrote:
OA can be wrong.

I believe the OA is wrong too. Also agreed that C is the clear choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3420 [0]
Send PM
beckee529 wrote:
younggun044 wrote:
OA can be wrong.

I still don't understand why we need "that" after "but" as "but" is doing the required job by qualifying the previous sentence!

Just a thought........"but" & "that" together seem redundant to me!

Opinions please!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
singh_amit19 wrote:
beckee529 wrote:
younggun044 wrote:
OA can be wrong.

I still don't understand why we need "that" after "but" as "but" is doing the required job by qualifying the previous sentence!

Just a thought........"but" & "that" together seem redundant to me!

Opinions please!

As I stated before, I really don't see the need of "that" after "but".
IMO, choice is between A and B and I like B better than A.
"preceded with" in A is not correct idiom.
"preceded by" is the correct idiom.

And ofcourse, "to determine" in A is better than "for determining" in B. But "for determining" is not wrong.

hence I still go with B.

- Brajesh

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts