Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actual GMAT Math takes more calculations, besides they like to mix different types of problems. I myself got a problem which was a mix of coordinate geometry, geometry, probability, and also several problems, which required the knowledge of some tricks in order to solve them quickly without wasting time.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vasga wrote:
Actual GMAT Math takes more calculations, besides they like to mix different types of problems. I myself got a problem which was a mix of coordinate geometry, geometry, probability, and also several problems, which required the knowledge of some tricks in order to solve them quickly without wasting time.

Hm... it seems I got away quite easily..

I had only one probability problem and the rest were pretty much "normal"....

I think time limit and just how much depends on the score is what makes it difficult and stressful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got two probability problems, two statistics and about 3 problems which were quite unusual and difficult.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vasga wrote:
I got two probability problems, two statistics and about 3 problems which were quite unusual and difficult.

:horror

It does look like GMAT is mutating.

I think they are trying to prevent people from being able to run though all the possible kinds of problems and this way "solve problems in advance"

I heard some rummor about a GMAT prep course in China - New Oriental School that they have people who go to the test center every month and memorize the test questions. (Sounds like a fun job to me). This way they can then charge $4,000 for a course.

I think this is what ETS wants to prevent - people like this and as the result everybody has to pay...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Agreed [#permalink]
I fully agree with BB on this one. There's no shred of doubt in my mind that GMAT math is getting progressively more difficult over time. I ran through both POWERPREP simulations and Kaplan's CATs and found the actual GMAT quant. more difficult. In hindsight, I think I might have gotten bogged down on some experimental quants. As a result, I was short of time near the end. Keep in mind that they might be taking the overall 'increased' difficutly of the quant section into account. I received 690 and got only 64th percentile on the quant. Sure, I did very well on verbal, but I'm still suprised. I'd love to know how ETS' score engine works. For example, does a 45 quant and a 45 verbal always mean a certain overall score (e.g. 700), or are the individual section scaled scores meaningless, and only the overall is relevant. I think ETS should provide more info regarding score calculation.

Coasterby
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey guys,

I also agree, I took the test today and noticed that I had 2 graphs on the quant section. As far as I knew, they didn't have graphs in the past. Regardless, I also felt like the quant on the exam was much harder than the test prep material. I used Kaplan's math workbook and GMAT 800, and the quant was still very difficult for me. I ended up with a 600 overall, 48% quant and 82% verbal. It's good enough for me to get into my progam, so I'm pleased. And it only took me 3 times taking it. :)

moleadus
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
BullShit [#permalink]
I wrote ETS about it and the difficulty to them is still the same, unless you can show proof, don't say it is, your scaring people who haven't taken it.

If you can show to that to them, write them at gmat@ets.org
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Each GMAT is equal [#permalink]
You want yours to be more difficult, your score is adjusted higher.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
One thing to note is the level of math ETS says it will test.

The difficulty does not depend on whether problem appeared before or not. E.g. if a graph question comes up and it has not ever been on the GMAT before - it does not mean that it is more difficult - it is just different/new. It may be but just as well may not. If you prepare using tests - then for sure it is more difficult, but if you prepare using textbooks and you review the level you need to, I don't think the "new" questions will be as difficult.

I am not sure about the readibility of the above :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts