Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bauble wrote:
Look for the articles that have the most citations: I think this is a good proxy for impact, applicability, etc...

Also, don't worry about understanding it in detail: some are just not that easy to fully understand.

bauble -

is it just me or are some of these people just bad writers -- difficult subject matter aside -- I think some of these folks could use a dose of GMAT Verbal clarity/conciseness

anyway - is there an easy way to see what the most cited articles are?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
This is impressive. Reading papers can be intimidating at this stage, but it is an useful exercise.

Praet -

what is impressive -- me reading 3 - 4 articles a week? I figure it is just a taste of what is to come. What I worry about is that I have ZERO time for reading for pleasure anymore... and truth be told I haven't read a book recreationally in a LONG time. Also, the amount of time spent watching TV and playing XboX 360 is approaching zero... not that this is a bad thing !!! just that sometimes you feel like you are losing touch

Quote:
More than the research, it is the style , the methodology and the assumptions that should be the major focus of your readings. You will understand the nuances over time.

this is what bothers me the most. i've read some articles where i feel the authors are assuming *way* too much or simplifying something too much. especially on the cognitive side of marketing research. maybe this is just a function of the need for simplicity when developing a model of behavior... maybe it is a function of me not understanding all of the psychological background info which would might give their assumption more validity.

Quote:
Depending on the journal, it can take anywhere between 3 months to 3 years for a publication. So, to keep up with the latest work, you may consider complementing your journal reading activity by reading through dissertations. Ideally, these should be dissertations that are supervised by people who you want to work with.

Dissertations are expansive. Any well written dissertation will display a mastery of existing literature and will explain the nuances of their models very well.

I never thought of reading other's dissertations because they would explain things better, but it makes sense. i've found a superstar in my field at the university of michigan, but his CV doesn't list any dissertations that he has supervised. can you search by advisor?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
anonymousegmat wrote:
Quote:
This is impressive. Reading papers can be intimidating at this stage, but it is an useful exercise.

Praet -

what is impressive -- me reading 3 - 4 articles a week? I figure it is just a taste of what is to come. What I worry about is that I have ZERO time for reading for pleasure anymore... and truth be told I haven't read a book recreationally in a LONG time. Also, the amount of time spent watching TV and playing XboX 360 is approaching zero... not that this is a bad thing !!! just that sometimes you feel like you are losing touch

Yes, it is impressive that you are taking this seriously so early.

Rather than forcing yourself to pick a topic, explore, explore and explore. Keep all your options about topic open. Finding the right person to work with is far more important than understanding journal articles. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you keep things in perspective. Reputation means a lot in academia.

Please do not stress over this too much. Save your energies for the PhD program. Speaking of losing touch, read the PhD lifestyles thread for more info :-)

Quote:
Quote:
More than the research, it is the style , the methodology and the assumptions that should be the major focus of your readings. You will understand the nuances over time.

this is what bothers me the most. i've read some articles where i feel the authors are assuming *way* too much or simplifying something too much. especially on the cognitive side of marketing research. maybe this is just a function of the need for simplicity when developing a model of behavior... maybe it is a function of me not understanding all of the psychological background info which would might give their assumption more validity.

Thats probably true. It takes a deeper understanding of the mathematical model to appreciate the need for assumptions for modeling real world problems. Obviously, a good researcher will not attempt to simplify the model without showing that there is a need for it.

That said, I am not saying that every article ever published should have been published. Some reviewers may be able to live with the assumption you make, others may find that same unacceptable. Welcome to publishing!

If you can show that your assumptions do not bias your results or make the results very situational , then you should be fine. Obviously, all models are abstractions of reality. We have to find that middle ground that includes the right degree of complexity without losing too much generality.

Most of the times, some assumptions get institutionalized. So the logic goes "We assume KLM. This is a fairly common assumption -- See XYZ (1999), ABC ( 2001) and PQR(2004)."

Quote:
I never thought of reading other's dissertations because they would explain things better, but it makes sense. i've found a superstar in my field at the university of michigan, but his CV doesn't list any dissertations that he has supervised. can you search by advisor?

Dissertations are always a good source to understand something in context. Journal articles are narrower in scope and assume a higher level of familiarity and expertise.

He must have a list of publications available. That might be a good place to start. Also, you might try contacting the current PhD students. They might be able to help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:

Good question. Google scholar (scholar.google.com) tends to put more heavily cited articles first in its search results. You can also download a scholar gadget that ranks citations for papers published by a given author. EBSCO (my default database) will list citations, but it won't sort or search by citation count (if it does, I haven't seen it).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
Quote:

He must have a list of publications available. That might be a good place to start. Also, you might try contacting the current PhD students. They might be able to help.

I looked through his whole CV twice (which was no easy task -- it was over 30 pages long) and no mention of any dissertation supervision...

I feel kind of scared to email him and ask...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bauble wrote:
Quote:

Good question. Google scholar (scholar.google.com) tends to put more heavily cited articles first in its search results. You can also download a scholar gadget that ranks citations for papers published by a given author. EBSCO (my default database) will list citations, but it won't sort or search by citation count (if it does, I haven't seen it).

very cool. so is it safe to say 100+ citations = important and relevant article
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
bauble wrote:
Quote:

Good choice. Google Scholar is a blessing.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
It will never hurt to send a polite email. There should be a list of current PhD students on the department's website. I would contact them first.

anonymousegmat wrote:
Praetorian wrote:
Quote:

I looked through his whole CV twice (which was no easy task -- it was over 30 pages long) and no mention of any dissertation supervision...

I feel kind of scared to email him and ask...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
Quote:

Thats probably true. It takes a deeper understanding of the mathematical model to appreciate the need for assumptions for modeling real world problems. Obviously, a good researcher will not attempt to simplify the model without showing that there is a need for it.

That said, I am not saying that every article ever published should have been published. Some reviewers may be able to live with the assumption you make, others may find that same unacceptable. Welcome to publishing!

If you can show that your assumptions do not bias your results or make the results very situational , then you should be fine. Obviously, all models are abstractions of reality. We have to find that middle ground that includes the right degree of complexity without losing too much generality.

Most of the times, some assumptions get institutionalized. So the logic goes "We assume KLM. This is a fairly common assumption -- See XYZ (1999), ABC ( 2001) and PQR(2004)."

Just to add on the assumptions debate: It's fairly easy to find unrealistic assumptions in models taken from academic papers, including papers written by top researchers from the field you're interested in. The real question is whether these unrealistic, simplifying assumptions have any impact on the answer to the question the researcher is interested in. Most of the time, their impact is either unclear or most likely minor, and that's why it's not such a big deal, or wasn't enough of a deal to get the article rejected. The idea is that these simplifying assumptions may greatly add to the tractability of the model (ie. the possibility of getting to _any_ solution).

At this point, I'm not sure it's reasonable from you to expect to be good at figuring out the effects of every one of these simplifying assumptions, but you can try. At the very least, 150 is a lot of papers. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
is it just me or are some of these people just bad writers -- difficult subject matter aside -- I think some of these folks could use a dose of GMAT Verbal clarity/conciseness

Some of these people ARE bad writers, and in the course of an MS or PhD program you'll probably be exposed to good researchers who are not only bad writers, but also terrible speakers. Keep in mind that for better or worse, in academia the value of your research is primarily driven by what new ideas/evidence you are bringing to the table. While the ability to express those ideas clearly helps, it's not the main thing.

As far as citations go, on https://www.harzing.com/resources.htm, you can download the Publish or Perish software (free), which uses Google Scholar data for all kinds of citation analysis. For example, you can type in an author name and get all of his/her articles with number of citations, or type in a journal name and get the most cited articles. This latter option might be what you're looking for. I think it's a great piece of software.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4383 posts