Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
sangoman wrote:
my problem is the cover letter - it as of now stands at 1200 words........how am I gonna chop it down......help me lawd.

btw what do you think is the longest I can submit w/o seriously pissing them off??

550 in the body of the text. An adcom said they are fairly rigid about the whole process (ya no kidding look at the questions), they want lengths as close as possible and they want their questions answered the way they ask it. Don't present an idea write a paragraph about that and then talk about how much you love MIT and why its the perfect school for you.

They seem to really not care if you think its right for you, and they especially don't care what your plans are becuase 70% of the people change them.

am going to be as heartless as I can an chop off my work ex and my goals (took me the better part of 3 months to come up with them) ........sad part is that they fit in perfectly with MIT. Maybe I'll add it in the additional essay as part of "anything else you want to tell us"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys, MIT not caring about the goals or your fit with the school may even be true and I have heard it once from the ad-com. But it would be foolish not to talk about goals in a "knowing" manner and about your "fit" with the school. Your cover letter with a weak goal/fit portion will suck no matter what you write elsewhere. So dont be fooled by this.

Dont think this is an excuse not to get your goals right.

riverripper wrote:
They seem to really not care if you think its right for you, and they especially don't care what your plans are becuase 70% of the people change them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Obviously they want to see that you have an idea about fit, it just seemed like they understand people can say they are a perfect fit even if they aren't. I think it was actually Rod Garcia who said, we tell fit by how you handle the 4 guestions. How you have dealt with those situations is very informative, it shows if you have the characteristics they look for.

Of course you want to write what you like about the school somewhere but they are not going to judge your fit based on a paragraph where you tell them you fit. Instead they will see how you dealt with a difficult co-worker, the impact of your initiatives, how you get people onto your side of an arguement, and how you strategize...these are what will let them know if you fit into their culture.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm officially finished with MIT, sending tomorrow the ap...

Just hoping that recommenders meat the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Down to 900 words in my cover letter :)

btw this is what the website says abt the cover letter btw

"Prepare a cover letter (up to 500 words) seeking a place in the MIT Sloan MBA Program . Please comment on your career goals and those factors which influenced you to pursue an MBA education at MIT Sloan. The cover letter provides a chance for you to discuss your passions, values, and interests, thereby helping us to determine whether you will thrive at MIT Sloan, and how you will contribute to our diverse community. Address your cover letter to Mr. Rod Garcia, Director of MBA Admissions"

ya ya .....I know you have all read it......am just saying that I am in agreement with both ncp an river -

As you can see MBA never stands alone - its always in conjunction with MIT Sloan.

Why MIT is the number one thing for them (no sh*t Sherlock :), next up probably what you bring to the table, then goals (what is probably no. 1 for most schools)......reading this we can probably give other generic sections like Why MBA an why now (as in career progression in excruciating detail) a skip

cant believe I have no essays to write after 30th (for a couple of weeks at least)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No Interview locations in INDIA?

What are the guys from India choosing?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is Microeconomics same as Applied Economics?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didnt put anything for microeconomics though I had a macroeconomics and an engineering economics. They are on my transcript so if they care its right there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
How are you starting the body of the letter? Are you directly starting with goals or with some generic statements such as "I like to state that"?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks mNeo. My recommender is still unreachable :(

Left him a really long text message. I am still hopeful because this guy has been my boss/confidant/friend for more than 4 years and he must know how much this means to me. May be he is thinking about his 15 day trip to Bahamas...

As a contingency, I also arranged for one of my former supervisors to step in with an emergency rec if needed. He has the content ready because I am using him for Cornell and he said he can tweak the content to answer the MIT/Ross questions.

Pretty please, pray everyone...

mNeo wrote:
Hell .. these recommenders are turning out to be such dangerous beings. I hope you get in touch with him and get everything sorted, prasad!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well all my essays are done, I am extremely happy with 2 and the cover letter, and satisfied with the other two essays. The optional I didnt write much beyond explaining a few bad grades and my odd college experience.

Unfortunately my brother, who is my best reviewer, has been in europe and then chicago on business for the last two weeks. Damn his actual career for getting in the way of his helping with my application. However he is around all weekend, so he promised to help.

I strengthened my resume and work responsibilites yesterday. I was informed that I am now mentoring all our new engineers. It was funny when my boss asked me during a meeting, half the engineers were like but he's leaving shouldnt you ask someone else. Sadly one newer engineer already has been asking me about MBAs and if it really will help your career that much...I gave him an honest answer basically saying yes if you go to a great school. Then told him our work will pay for it if you go part time (they offered to pay for me), he seemed to like that idea a lot better, which was a relief because I dont want people to think I am conning kids into leaving.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
By the way, the **** makes my sentence look like I used a very bad word...I dont see why we can't use the "D" word, we are adults and I doubt anyone could be offended by that. I think its less offensive than seeing **** and thinking its the "F" word
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish I could say the same about mine. Cover letter is good. The rest are so-so. But, I have given up on the editing. I worked on these almost non-stop for the last 10 days and my brain is really fried right now. I am submitting my app this weekend no matter what.
riverripper wrote:
Well all my essays are done, I am extremely happy with 2 and the cover letter, and satisfied with the other two essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey guys, as far as the supplemental information, so you just list them? There are several items in that list (extra curriculars, awards, etc) plus I also want to discuss issues with my academic performance. I guess just list them one by one?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
stupid question, is it always "MIT Sloan" and never just "Sloan" ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have heard it called sloan a lot by alums. At an admissions event they used just sloan a bunch too. Im going there monday I will try to remember to pay attention to this closely.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
in the supplemental essay, it was asked

3. List your hobbies, interests, and activities, including any significant accomplishments related to them.

Are we suppose to list them separately? I don't really understand the difference between them.
Do you guys list them even if you had no significant accomplishments?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  31