Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [0]
Send PM
Re: I. Whenever some of the runners are leading off and all of [#permalink]
(A) expresses only a possibility. (E) apparently is definite from the given statement.

The pattern : some A and all of B = C

(A) speaks for the first part -- some A.
(E) speaks for the second part -- all of B. If only a part of B is true, then C is not true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
Some A and All B leads C
Some A and X leads to no C

We need to find X and hence it has to be related to infielders
Hence A, B out
C - Means "Some A and No B leads No C" may be correct but is extreme
D - Means "Some A and All B leads No C"
E - Means "Some A and some B (or not some B) leads No C"

D is wrong
Between C and E .... C is EXTREME

Hence E's my choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Paul wrote:
I. Whenever some of the runners are leading off and all of the infielders are playing in, all of the batters attempt to bunt
II. Some of the runners are leading off, but some of the batters are not attempting to bunt

Which of the following conclusions can be deduced from the two statements given?
A) some of the runners are not leading off
B) some of the batters are attempting to bunt
C) none of the infielders is playing in
D) all of the infielders are playing in
E) some of the infielders are not playing in

To me it looks like a tough choice between C and E. I'll go with E and here's an attempt to explain.

I. SOME A leading off, ALL [color=red]B [/color]playing in = ALL C attepmting to bunt.
II. SOME A leading off = SOME C not attempting to bunt.

We need to deduce smth from both statements taken together.

A. - wrong, because we can deduce that from each statement taken separately. If some A ARE leading off, it means that some A are NOT leading off.

B. - wrong, because we can deduce that from statement II only. If some batters are NOT attempting to bunt, then some ARE attempting to bunt.

C. - wrong, because, like Srijay said, too EXTREME. If all B need to be playing in, for all C to attempt to bunt, then any lessening in the # of B playing in, would automatically lessen the # of B attempting to bunt. It doesn't have to be 'NO B playing in', therefore 'SOME C not attempting to bunt'. Although it could be valid as well.

D. - wrong, because "Whenever SOME of A are leading off, and ALL of B are playing in, then ALL of C are attempting to bunt". If D were true, then the result in statement II would equal the result of statement I (all batters attempting to bunt).

E. - is best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
SmashingGrace wrote:
Paul wrote:
I. Whenever some of the runners are leading off and all of the infielders are playing in, all of the batters attempt to bunt
II. Some of the runners are leading off, but some of the batters are not attempting to bunt

Which of the following conclusions can be deduced from the two statements given?
A) some of the runners are not leading off
B) some of the batters are attempting to bunt
C) none of the infielders is playing in
D) all of the infielders are playing in
E) some of the infielders are not playing in

To me it looks like a tough choice between C and E. I'll go with E and here's an attempt to explain.

I. SOME A leading off, ALL [color=red]B [/color]playing in = ALL C attepmting to bunt.
II. SOME A leading off = SOME C not attempting to bunt.

We need to deduce smth from both statements taken together.

A. - wrong, because we can deduce that from each statement taken separately. If some A ARE leading off, it means that some A are NOT leading off.

B. - wrong, because we can deduce that from statement II only. If some batters are NOT attempting to bunt, then some ARE attempting to bunt.

C. - wrong, because, like Srijay said, too EXTREME. If all B need to be playing in, for all C to attempt to bunt, then any lessening in the # of B playing in, would automatically lessen the # of B attempting to bunt. It doesn't have to be 'NO B playing in', therefore 'SOME C not attempting to bunt'. Although it could be valid as well.

D. - wrong, because "Whenever SOME of A are leading off, and ALL of B are playing in, then ALL of C are attempting to bunt". If D were true, then the result in statement II would equal the result of statement I (all batters attempting to bunt).

E. - is best.

Hi, Annie! Nice to see you! :-)

As I can see, you are really strong in Verbal...

Don't hesitate to explore your weak points in Math as well. Finally, the more weak point in your Quant you will find, the greater your score will be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Wow! You guys have been doing some serious posting! Too bad I couldn't visit the board during the weekend :(

You can either intuit the answer or get it this way:

I. Some Runners Lead Off & All Infielders Play In -> All Batters Bunt
II. Some Runners Lead Off & X -> Some Batters Not Bunt

Some Batters Not Bunt => Not All Batters Bunt.

Therefore,

II. Some Runners Lead Off & X => Not All Batters Bunt (We negate the conclusion of Statement I!)

If we deny the conclusion, the only thing we can deduce is that Not All Infielders Play In => "some of the infielders are not playing in."

On the E bandwagon.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
E is my final answer.

For all batter to bunt, all fielders should play. So if some batters bunt then probably not all fielders play.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Great to stir up those discussions. OA is E :)

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts